What happened? It's been three months and no Steam.

Gaudin Himmel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Probably have your answer in your own post there.

I theorized on my own blog that steam could be problematic for SL:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/will-steam-kill-zindra-and-what-age-are-gamers-anyway/

- The people on Steam are the same folks as here (in a generic sense, not in terms of individuals). But each community likely thinks the other is different. And We'd probably face pressure to clean up the excess if added there.

Its likely there's a lot of negotiating that needs to be done, is underway, or failed - before this could go through.

I can't imagine that they announced it before any negotiating was complete. Well, okay, I can imagine it, but I don't think that's what happened. 

It was my understanding that some viewer changes (no clue what) were gating items for getting to Steam, and that those changes got caught in a months-long viewer memory crash that also delayed a bunch of bug fixes and improvements from open source contributors. I believe that memory thing is finally fixed and the current beta viewer has the Steam and other changes.

I'm sure Inara's blog has all the details, accurately, as opposed to my vague and muddled memory.

The major reason for the delay would appear to be recent crash rate issues with the official SL viewer.
As I reported back in August, the viewer is receving a number of changes ready for Steam (it was actually changes in the viewer code, noticed by TPV developers, which tipped people off that a link-up was coming).

The changes themselves were apparent in the Development viewer back in August, but due to the issues the the Beta viewer, they were held-up awaiting a resolution to the crash rate issues. Since the crash issues were resolved last week, they have now been merged with the Beta viewer, and are available in the latest release (3.4.2.266708), as I reported last week - see the bottom of page 1 / top of page 2.

There is still no official word as to when these updates will filter into the Release version of the viewer - that may well be dependent upon any additional liasion / agreement required between LL and Valve. However, I'd hazard a guess that there will be an announcement on the horizon for the not-to-distant future.

I think they announced that they were working on mesh in 2009 and look how long it took them to implement it. They've also showed a video of the pathfinding feature they were going to introduce and we still haven't gotten that yet. It'll probably be next year that they actually do it or start talking about it again.

Amie Kaestner wrote:

I think they announced that they were working on mesh in 2009 and look how long it took them to implement it. They've also showed a video of the pathfinding feature they were going to introduce and we still haven't gotten that yet. It'll probably be next year that they actually do it or start talking about it again.

We have pathfinding on all Sims now. It tends to crash most Sims that leave it enabled, but it IS available.

Looking at the time between Linden's Labs past announcements and actual implementation, I would estimate at least another six months before SL is available on Steam. The lab has a very bad - but exceptionally consistent - habit of thinking they are ready to roll something out only to discover they are not even close. One of two things then happens; either the release is put on hold for months on end or code is released that is so borked it causes more grief than good... and takes months to fix. Either way, those of us that have been around for a while to see this happen over and over again normally say, "That's nice" and then forget until it actually happens. Some of the replies above prove my point. Sorry that waiting is par for the course but since you know now have some fun in the meantime and check back around March. :)

Qie Niangao wrote:

I can't imagine that they announced it before any negotiating was complete. Well, okay, I can
imagine
it, but I don't think that's what happened.

they announce things even before the technology is invented yet. still remember that one time (long ago) they blogged about adding smell-o-vision & tactile sensing to SL :catlol:

hah don't hold your breath waiting in other words =(^_^)=

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

‎01-08-2013 02:01 PM

"It is just a matter of scale.  LL does not count time by months, but rather in years.  **Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://secondlife.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif" border="0" alt=":smileywink:" title="Smiley Wink" />"

Nice relativity in a SL reply, but highly accurate. Time as relative to us (the users who have been waiting for over 6 months) is not the same LL where time is of no relavance. Everything in SL is being left behind and we are left to hold on to the bits of the past that work at the sacrafice of quality orperformance... and now even their announcements are falling into that relm as well.

If they are complaining about revenue stream, they should have listened to their customers or watched the competition. Ignoring both has caused that stream to undoubtedly dwendle over the years.

I still enjoy SL for my purposes, but can only dream of what it would be like to see the metaverse throught the eyes of my SLI cards with everything maxed out... with or without Steam.

I'd prefer they take four times as long after an announcement; when they rush innovations, you're so right, SL becomes borked for months afterward. Heck, even with pathfinding turned off, it still manages to bork sims, I had to smooth the ruffled feathers of a fellow estate manager whose landscaping was ruined after a region rebake. Now I don't recommend rebaking to anyone. Since my job is essentially that of nagging the estate owner, that's what I nag about, remember,restart, do NOT rebake:matte-motes-sarcasm:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.