Rigged clothing is bigger after upload to Second Life and the resizing in Blender has no effect!

Abbi Tigerfish

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

So, I rigged this piece of clothing in Blender 2.64. I exported my avatar's xml file from firestorm and loaded it in Blender to make sure that my piece of clothing fits him exactly. So, everything is fine and the skin weights get fully imported to Second Life, no problem. However, my clothing is slightly bigger once uploaded to Second Life(and of course I can't resize in world seeing that this is a rigged mesh). So here is what I did so far:

-tried exporting another xml file from SL, still didn't work.

-tried resizing roughly about 20% in Blender, then upload to SL, still no luck!

-tried the scale tab, under the "upload options" of the upload mesh model tool of SL, no luck either!

I should also mention that in my previous trials to uplaod, there was never a problem with the size for the same avatar and the same piece of clothing.  

I'm out of options here and I would appreciate your help. Thanks

Unit discrepancy perhaps? 

What are your units set to in Blender?  If it's anything other than meter, things could come out the wrong size in SL. 

For example, if you're working in feet, you'd need a conversion ratio of 0.3048, to make the models come out the same size in SL.  I don't know how many decimals SL allows, or how many your COLLADA exporter allows, but if it happens to be 3 in either one, instead of the needed 4, then the number will get rounded off, and you'll have imprecise sizing as a result.

To prevent any such errors, always set your units in your modeling software to meters, so that the conversion will be 1:1.

If that's not the problem, then my next guess would be it's a bone length issue, or possibly an avatar morph issue.  I don't know what tool you're using to try to recreate your avatar's exact size and shape in Blender, but it's possible it's not entirely error free.  The SL avatar model has hundreds of permutation points, and if any one of them is not recreated exactly, things won't quite work.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.