Object I created not staying attached; sometimes becomes glitched

Sara Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have this HUD item that, every once in a while, becomes detached. It still appears on the screen, but clicking the buttons doesn't do anything and right-clicking it causes it to go away. If I look in my inventory, it doesn't say it's attached, and I can reattach it.

Sometimes a more serious bug occurs. I click the buttons and, again, nothing happens, but when I right-click it, it stays there. Attempting to detach it only causes the Edit item in its right-click menu to become disabled, and it won't actually detach (and of course I can't reattach it) until I log out and log back in.

This bug often occurs when attaching/detaching a large number of items, such as when changing outfits. It's always with this one object. I created the object, as well as all its contents, including scripts and textures. Has anyone else experienced this bug and/or know how to fix it? Thanks.

BTW, I am using the official Linden Lab viewer, with the latest version AFAIK.

This is an interesting coincidence.  There's another thread in the LSL Scripting forum this week, also related to HUDs, that comments on a similar issue.   In that case, the OP wants the HUD to detach when the wearer TPs to another sim.  He finds that it doesn't detach, but hangs up in the way you are describing -- non-functional but visible, and then detaching when he right-clicks on it.  My solution was to build in a delay, so that the HUD waits for a few seconds after the TP and then detaches.  In my simple-minded analysis, the two sims' servers (leaving and arriving) are doing so many other things during the handoff that they can't agree on which one of them is supposed to be executing the detach command.  So neither one does it right. 

If that's even close to being right, you may have a similar problem.  You are overloading the server with too many things to do at once -- attaching and detaching a large numer of items at once -- and it's getting confused.  I can't explain why the HUD is the one thing that doesn't detach properly, or why the server even thinks that it's supposed to detach the HUD, but I think that's where to find the weak link.  It's interesting -- maybe a coincidence -- that in this case and the one I described earlier, the troublesome attachment is a HUD. Time to file a JIRA.

I had been seeing a similar problem after teleports on very new viewers. I have been mostly using nightly snowstorm and beta builds, but it could be in the main viewer too.

I *think* this might be the bug that MAINT-1891 addresses, it just dropped to Snowstorm today, and should probably appear in a beta viewer later in the week. Off to try it now, and see if it helps on my end ...

OK, so that missing HUD bug does happen for me on SL Release 3.4.1.266581 too.

It seems to me mostly cured with that patch. I see that a very primmy HUD is sometimes not appearing completely after region crosses and teleports, but it doesn't stop reponding, so I think that part could just be the same old same old.

This patch will probably appear in the next beta verison on the download page. If you are interested to try it before QA blesses it, you can try the builds at http://automated-builds-secondlife-com.s3.amazonaws.com/hg/repo/viewer-beta/rev/266995/index.html

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.