My user interface flashes in rainbow colors. This isn't normal, hopefully?

Kolby Nissondorf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently purchased a new computer (or laptop) I should say. It runs on an Intel core i5 processors, and the graphics all around are excellent. I'd copy over the computer specs, but I can't find it on the Windows 8 operating system.

But theres only one issues I've had with it so far - whenever I boot up a viewer (V3 or Firestorm) my interface flashes in a multitude of rainbow colors.

Like seriously, I'm gunna have a damn seisure.

Can anyone help? I've started the viewers in compatibility mode, but that didn't seem to help. And I can't grab a screenshot because whenever I hit the Print Screen, it happens to capture it in an off second that its not all f'd up.

3 answers to this question

That's a driver problem.  We've had many notes here from people who are trying Win 8 with a Second Life viewer.  Some are having good luck, but we hear a lot from people who don't have, or can't get proper drivers to make their graphics card work with Win 8.  The bottom line is that Win 8 is not guaranteed to work with SL yet, so you are a pioneer.  When you go looking for drivers, go to the manufacturer of your card, not the manfacturer of your computer.

Mac drivers are included with OS upgrades. However, to determine what card you have, select “About this Mac” from the Apple menu, then click “More Info”. Under Hardware select Graphics/Displays
If you are not sure what type of video card you have, use GPU-Z found (win only) here. For linux, in a console use: lspci | grep VGA

Nvidia Video Driver

• Latest driver Last checked Oct 17- Windows: 306.97 (Oct 10) - Linux: 304.51 (Sep 24)

ATI Video Driver

• Latest driver Last checked Oct 22- Windows and Linux: 12.10 (Oct 22) - Beta 12.11 (oct 22)

Intel Video Driver

• Intel driver download page Intel does not have a universal driver set. Please go to Intel's site and select the appropriate download.

You don't have to find the specs for your computer that people here on the forums need in order to offer some help.  Just launch your viewer (any viewer) and under the "Help" menu click on "About Second Life".  On the dialog box that pops up, on the first tab you'll see the specs for your computer that the viewer reports to the SL servers.  Copy those specs and paste them back here.  You don't need to even log in to get those specs.

You can add those specs by using the "Options" in the upper right hand corner of your initial post and "Edit" to add them or any other comments you might want to give.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.