Texture problem

Lynn Shiu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Honestly, I hate being such a noob when it comes to these things, and I do feel ashamed asking this, but I really want to fix this problem.

I have recently bought a home where one of the walls has a tile texture. I would like to replace this with another texture (no tiles), but whenever I try doing this, only the color of the wall seems to change - the tiles don't. 

Can someone please help me out here? 
Lynn

Before you start messing with textures on a house, be sure that you have a backup safely in inventory.  Then, open your Edit tool (CTRL + 3) and click the Select Face button so that you will only work on the one prim face that you want to change.  Then left click on the wall to select just that one face.  Click to the Textures tab and to the Texture Picker window on it, and select the texture that you want to apply.  If it looks like the right texture, click OK.  Once you have done that, the texture is changed irreversibly, so if you screwed up, be glad that you kept that backup.

You can do the same thing in one simple step by dragging the new texture from your inventory and dropping it directly on that wall, but that's a gutsy way to do it.  Until you are confident, I suggest doing it the slow way.  It's terribly easy to sneeze at the wrong moment and drop the texture on something that you didn't intend to change.  That's when you learn what irreversible means.

One final note:   Builders very often use a single large prim as the wall for adjacent rooms, so changing the texture in one room can also change it in the one next door.   You may want to check beforehand to be sure that you know which room(s) you are about to texture.   If you really only want to retexture that one room, it may be smart to add a new fake wall in front of the current one and texture it instead.

It's a long shot, but it's possible there's a "wall in front of a wall" with a semi transparent texture with shadows on it. I haven't seen this setup myself, but heard people use it to keep detail on the real wall. Changing the texture on such a wall could certainly cause the colour change you describe.

Changing the texture on the wall behind a shadow plane is a bit tricky, I'd check the "edit linked parts" box and move the shadow plane out of the way, then texture the wall like Rolig described. Then select the shadow plane again and hit ctrl Z to make it pop back into its original position.

An even longer shot (if the building is mesh) is the creator made use of a bug in the 2012 autodesk exporter to SL process. I haven't played with it, but some people use it to apply multiple layers to a single surface. I have no idea how to treat one of those walls.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.