Can a macho video game avatar make you healthier?

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Could this be results from one of the many surveys we have done here?

"Time to reconsider the stereotype of doughy, fast food-guzzling online role players in dark basements. Strongly identifying with your avatar in virtual game worlds like "Second Life" could actually help make you healthier in the real world, research from the University of Missouri shows."

Can a kick-butt video game avatar make you healthier?

Oh yes!

Since I'm in SL, I ...

- change my hair colour 3 times a day

- am 21 y/o

- have a skin without any blemishes

- am grossly underweight

- have an unsaturiable hunger for sex

- have grown 20 centimeters

- am rich and live a luxury life in my little huge seaside cabin

- am a semi-succesfull publisher of my own online magazine

- am a yacht club commodore owning a bunch of yachts

These university types are right!

yusss !!!

+

like for a start i got really healthy fingers now and strong. champagne corks and wnie scew tops. pffft!!! easy peasy as

+

ps

i also read a other studyy one time (cant remember where now) but it said that people who think about exercise are 5% fitter than people who dont think about it

so i think about exercising for at least 20 minutes a day now. like i think about getting on my trainers and go for a run every day. i feel a whole lot better after i do that  q;

16 wrote:

yusss !!!

+

like for a start i got really healthy fingers now and strong. champagne corks and wnie scew tops. pffft!!! easy peasy as

+

ps

i also read a other studyy one time (cant remember where now) but it said that people who think about exercise are 5% fitter than people who dont think about it

so i think about exercising for at least 20 minutes a day now. like i think about getting on my trainers and go for a run every day. i feel a whole lot better after i do that  q;

I too think  a lot about exercise.  So my thinker gets regular work outs.

I will confirm one thing in that article.  I do not dwell in a basement. 

real-mouse.jpg

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Well I for one think that...

[cough, cough... gag... hack.... wheeze... cough...]

/spitsouthairball

/getsbrushandpreenshair

..that this study is absurd and SL has had absolutely no impact on my RL physical condition.

"Ooo, a mouse!"

/runsofftochase.

I don't think Forum rules will allow me to post a screen shot of my mouse.

Since September 2011 I have actually become significantly healthier. But this isn't because of SL. It's because I started spending less time in SL (as any of my friends here will confirm) and more time, you know, exercising (1,700 miles on my bike YTD in 2012, among other activities).

Quinn Morani wrote:

Since September 2011 I have actually become significantly healthier. But this isn't because of SL. It's because I started spending 
less
time in SL (as any of my friends here will confirm) and 
more
time, you know, exercising (1,700 miles on my bike YTD in 2012, among other activities).

1700? Wow, look at you! Wasn't your original goal just to get to 1000? It is definitely making a difference, btw. I noticed your sari was considerably less snug around the hips when I saw you at the Hangout ;-).

Perrie Juran wrote:

Could this be results from one of the many surveys we have done here?

"Time to reconsider the stereotype of doughy, fast food-guzzling online role players in dark basements. Strongly identifying with your avatar in virtual game worlds like "Second Life" could actually help make you healthier in the real world, research from the University of Missouri shows."

I'm wondering if maybe SL had a version much like the Nintendo Wii, or Xbox connect if that it would make users healthier.

What I can't quite wrap my head around yet is what that interface would look like with the abundance of pose balls.

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

I'm wondering if maybe SL had a version much like the Nintendo Wii, or Xbox connect if that it would make users healthier.

What I can't quite wrap my head around yet is what that interface would look like with the abundance of pose balls.

is interesting this

on Utherverse they got NPCs that you click on and get a HUD menu. can dance or whatever with them. is no poseballs that i could see. just click and they come by you and you can then just keep pick off the menu

they got what seems like "experience permissions" that linden talk about. like if you go on a dance floor then the HUD menu just pops up and you can pick whichever one you want.

i only ever went on there one time just for a nosey. seems tho the experience permissions work the same way with other avatars. from what i saw. not sure bc i never done anything with anyone else

+

if this is how experience permissions will one day work in SL then will be pretty good i think

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.