Sign in to follow this  
Demosthaenes

How to get started in Gor?

I have been roleplaying since 2006, but I have never become involved in Gor. The only things I know about it are stereotypes, but lately I have been hearing more about it which piques my interest. Some, however, are conflicting messages.

Where can I learn more accurate information about SLGor? I have heard that SLGor is different from the books. I was thinking about being a kajirus, but then I was told that men playing such a part are supposed to be -quote- "wimpy and feminine" -unquote-, which I do not wish to be. Where can I learn more about this?

And where (besides PeKaS Designs and ~S&S~ Designs, both of which I already found) can I find good Gorean clothing for free or affordable prices? It seems most places [that I have found] cater more to women's needs than men's, but I might just be missing them.

be yourself in Gor and play as you like. you dont have to be wimpy and feminine. but you need to study a bit about this world before engaging in rp. can help you more in world if you im me. in sl gor very few have read the books and even fewer abide by them. huggies

Following the 13 page quagmire that resulted from the last post like this I am reluctant to post about Gor SL itself. I suggest a visit to this website there you can get most if not all the story from the basics of the background to the specifics of the different styles within Gor SL. You should find an answer to your question concerning kajirus as well.

For affordable clothing the best bet is to subscribe to the 30L Saturdays updates group. If you go to PeKaS the group joiner for 30L Saturdays is on the ground floor near the outer walls, its a black and silver sign that reads 30L Saturdays. There are fantastic deals for any role or gender on that list.

From said quagmire there are a few other good links, try these:

The Gorean Cave

and 

Gorean101

There were also a couple of informative posts in said thread, but you would do yourself a favor by not reading the rest of the thread.  These two are both useful as general background, depending on how much you may or may not know already: First and Second.

And, as Leia mentioned, Gor-SL has an active forum, though not a lot of new player information.  There is also a gorean recruitment center here that has links to some merchents as well.  And a recent thread in the forum for the Smiling Slavegirl tavern here offers an area to come in and chat and learn more as well. 

Its kind of funny, I keep accumulating information about gor... I might have to actually give it another go at some point.

Also, is that an orson scott card reference in your name?  If so, thumbs up :)

Yes, this probably will become a quagmire quickly.  Gor is one of those topics few agree upon, like politics or religion,and we all have an opinion.

I strongly suggest, before you do anything,  you read at least the first few  books yourself to create your own opinion.   Notecards, web references, blogs, forums, and quote excerpts are nice, but are generally waved around completely out of context.

Also, be aware there are several different types of SL Gor sims and players.  Some are "BTB" or, by the book trying to roleplay by the spirit of the book with various degrees of success.  Some are "GE" or, Gorean Evolved, where female roles generally have evolved to better coincide with today's woman and not at all like the spirit of the Gor books.   You also have the "Lifestylers", who tend to immerse themselves in Gor and apply the principles and often the behaviors to their real lives.  There are many numerous subcategories that could be included, but in the end, it is up to the individual to find what makes them happy and where to fit. 

Gor is not a bad place, albeit it has changed over the last 6 years from less family type "let's work together" existence to one that appears to be just another role play adventure, which is rather sad in a way..  Gor is what you make of it  There are some exceptionally nice and helpful people and, there are some exceptionally not nice people. 

I wish you well and good luck on your journey.

Thank you, all.

And, in response to Krystara -

I chose 'Demosthaenes' after the ancient Greek philosopher Demosthenes, but I know of Valentine going under the pseudonym of Demosthenes. :robotvery-happy:

Krystara wrote:

And a recent thread in the forum for the Smiling Slavegirl tavern 
 offers an area to come in and chat and learn more as well.  

In the interest of fairness I have to point out that that sim is a raiders sim. The Gorean Welcome Center is another alternative for new people as is Adult Hub Gor

Yes, it's a raider's sim but in the interest of fairness fairness, I need to point out that the tavern itself is in a roleplay only area. Even has it's own separate entrance. You cannot get attacked in the tavern.

Sure, that's fine, but they are one part of the whole. The two places I have linked to have a holistic approach to SL Gor and any new player, experienced RPer or otherwise will find all the different options open to them. Gor is complex and each sim is different. That is what is so hard to get across to new people. You might have two sims that have the same rules, but they will both be unique because of the people involved. While no sim will give you the complete picture, the two I mentioned will give you a good idea.

Demosthaenes wrote:

I have been roleplaying since 2006, but I have never become involved in Gor. The only things I know about it are stereotypes, but lately I have been hearing more about it which piques my interest. Some, however, are conflicting messages.

Where can I learn more accurate information about SLGor? I have heard that SLGor is different from the books. I was thinking about being a kajirus, but then I was told that men playing such a part are supposed to be -quote- "wimpy and feminine" -unquote-, which I do not wish to be. Whre can I learn more about this?

And where (besides PeKaS Designs and ~S&S~ Designs, both of which I already found) can I find good Gorean clothing for free or affordable prices? It seems most places [that I have found] cater more to women's needs than men's, but I might just be missing them.

This is a very good source of information about gorean role play:

http://http//www.ragnarsrest.com/GorRPGuide.pdf

It explains a lot of things that are important for people that are new to gorean role play. The good thing about this guide is - it is really about role playing a gorean - and not about gorean life style. The guide explains that difference also.

I do not believe you need to read a bunch of books - or even one book if you want to jump into gorean role play. If you start playing and you really like it - then decide if you want to read the books - or not. But who wants to read 2 or 3 books just to test the waters when you do not even know if you will enjoy it.

You can play a slave in sl gor - and that does not mean you have to be whimpy or feminine. While in the novels the men where clearly naturally dominant over women - men were also enslaved - they just usually did not take to it as well as the woman :smileywink:

So an average gorean guy who has the bad luck to be enslaved would have been used as a work slave. They are portrayed as not liking it very much in the books - so they are simply played as men who happen to be enslaved.

There are also male pleasure slaves in the gorean novels. They are described as less dominant and are described as rare. Other gorean man would look down on them - because they gave up their natural right to be dominant over women. Such a male silk slave would most likely be owned by a high caste or rich gorean free woman. I have played that out - me being the woman of course - in gorean role play and had great fun with it.

You really do not need a lot of clothing when you play a male slave. If you can find one good tunic you are set and can begin to play. Just stay away from wearing girly silks as a male slave - it just does not look right. No need to look for someting specifically for a male slave - any tunic - even if advertised for a free character will do - if it is simple and does not look like it is a garment that shows a person's caste.

When you tp to a sim - always read the rules. If it is a life styler sim and you are not interested in that and only want to role play - stay away from those places. They are not for you.

Good luck and have fun!

There are several sims dedicated to introducing (relative) newcomers to the Gorean scene. Lorem Ipsum is one, Port Haifa is another I've been to, but there are more. Depending on time of day and week sims might be very quiet, (almost) empty. Most have a dedicated group of members who're the core of the sim's community and on of course at pretty much the same hours, this comes from the roleplay being a pretty hierarchical society (can't have more than one village leader or tavern owner for example).

Best go to such sims and talk to people. Many Goreans will hopefully direct you to such places as well if you ask them for information and introductions to the scene, rather than ignoring or harassing you for not knowing everything already (which sadly is an all too common thing among roleplayers, not just in Gor or even SL but in general).

I'm a bit late to this thread, but the one thing you could do to really understand Gor's basics is to read the first book. It'd only take you one or two days to get through, it's relatively short. Reading up to book 5 is what I'd recommend, but the first is enough to get the idea without having taxing too much time.

Doing that'll provide a great deal of context to Gor in general, which is handy for someone who's only ever seen the stupid elements that get exaggerated by people who have done no such thing.

Seriously, the Panthers, for example? I don't think many of the folk who play them realise that they're relatively tall (as far as women go in Gor - due to the social constructs and institutionalised "survival of the fittest/male dominion," women are physically inferior to most, if not all Gorean men), blonde, fair skinned women. Think of Nord women in Skyrim. (Afterall, the inspiration for Northern Gor and Skyrim are one and the same.) They also don't tend to bring slaves into their fold. They prefer to sell them off as callously as their slavemasters would have.

So yeah, knowing what's actually in the books is quite handy.

Beyond that, though, you'll be hard pressed to find anything that is actually Gorean on SecondLife. Many of the sims are what folk call "Gor Evolved." Which is basically their way of saying, "inspired by Gor, but not actually Gor."

To each their own on that. If you do get into it, expect the slave elements of the Gor fantasy world to be exaggerated to the point of ridiculosity. In fact, expect that nine times out of ten? All anyone will care about is getting their jollies off in slave/master play - fantasy style (which is, actually, only one relatively minor facet of the world - though is hashed out more and more in later books).

My last bit of advice is to focus on storytelling within that fantasy world. If you do that, you'll find a great niche of roleplayers who'll want you with them. Try to avoid people who do not separate the reality from the fiction. Lifestylers, and people who are obsessive about Gor on SL tend to be batsh!t insane, and drama is going to follow them everywhere they go.