Confused about certain permission combinations

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm just wondering, what's the point of having any permission combinations other than the following five:

• No copy / Modify / Transfer
  • No copy / No modify / Transfer
  • Copy / Modify / No transfer
  • Copy / Modify / Transfer
  • Copy / No modify / Transfer

Some objects have objects with more restrictive permissions inside, which I understand, but except in these cases I don't see any reason to have any combinations of permissions other than these.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to copy or modify something that you can't give or sell away. I mean you should be able to have as many copies as you want, and why should it matter if you modify something that's only going to be for your own use?

Also, if you aren't going to be able to keep a copy, why should it matter if you give or sell it to someone else? Nobody's losing a sale.

The only reasons I can see for using any combinations of permissions other than these is if you're a control freak who's overprotective of your intellectual property to the point of paranoia. No offense, of course; this is just my opinion, and there may be something I haven't thought of. Your thoughts?

One reason that things are made no modify is that the seller doesn't want to have to deal with buyers who mess it up.  Another is that some sellers have a mistaken belief that no mod objects are harder to illicitly copy.

A reason for no transfer objects to be no copy is to keep people from using multople copies at the same time.  For example, it is reasonable for me to have to buy six chairs if I want to use six chairs.

I agree with you partially - people should be able to modify and copy an item they've purchased to their heart's content (Copy/Mod/NOtrans), especially since it cannot be passed onto anyone else. If nothing else, I'd personally consider it fair usage.

For potentially "breakable" products, no modify is semi-understandable to me; however, if they are COPY as well, surely the owner is simply able to rez out a new one.

In my own personal view, the no modify decision on COPY-enabled items is simply a method for a lot of merchants to price gouge their customers (especially with clothing). If you want different colours, you are forced to buy the same item multiple times since usually, you cannot even tweak the tints. IF the said textures were significantly different per colour (as in, a totally new texture each time) I could stomach it, but most times the different colour options are simply the same texture with a different colour hue applied (about 20 seconds work in a graphics program, once the original texture has been made).
In the old era of sculpted clothing, creating different colours/textures might have involved a little more work (if the items contained many sculpties etc); however in this new era of mesh clothing, especially the endless pre-fab mesh retextures, merchants can slap on a texture super fast on a decently made UV-map.

So yah, especially for clothing, the NO-MOD option is in my view a way to milk customers for easy money. Lock them in for a single colour, and if they want others, they have to buy again and again etc, or fork out for an overpriced fatpack.

Thank goodness I just make my own mesh clothing to wear nowadays. It's far easier to get what I want.

• Like 1

Things like needing to buy six chairs or buy something more than once just to get different colors are reasonable for real-life goods, but not here. And an annoying side effect is that if everything is no mod, I can't get the color I want! And almost all the "template" items designed to be modified are designed for store owners, and priced as such! I mean, seriously? What about the people who just like customizing their own stuff? Sometimes I wish I could just use copybot or something to get full perms, but that's against the terms of service! I certainly don't want to get banned. If you can't transfer something, you should be able to do whatever you want with your own copies. Anything else is an artificial limit that has nothing to do with copyright, and LL should really limit the permission system to avoid things like that. Anyone else think SL policies are biased toward content producers against content consumers?

(Seriously, what's with all this copybot hate going around, even among non-content-creators? I don't use it, as I don't want to violate the TOS, but as long as it's only for personal use, shouldn't we be allowed to?)

/rant

MyAlt4099 wrote:

(Seriously, what's with all this copybot hate going around, even among non-content-creators? I don't use it, as I don't want to violate the TOS, but as long as it's only for personal use, shouldn't we be allowed to?)

/rant

So we should allow people to steal whatever they want? Why would anyone bother to create anything then?

MyAlt4099 wrote:

I'm just wondering, what's the point of having any permission combinations other than the following five:

• No copy
    /
    Modify
    /
    Transfer
  • No copy
    /
    No modify
    /
    Transfer
  • Copy
    /
    Modify
    /
    No transfer
  • Copy
    /
    Modify
    /
    Transfer
  • Copy /
    No modify
    / No transfer

Some objects have objects with more restrictive permissions inside, which I understand, but except in these cases I don't see any reason to have any combinations of permissions other than these.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to copy or modify something that you can't give or sell away. I mean you should be able to have as many copies as you want, and why should it matter if you modify something that's only going to be for your own use?

Also, if you aren't going to be able to keep a copy, why should it matter if you give or sell it to someone else? Nobody's losing a sale.

The only reasons I can see for using any combinations of permissions other than these is if you're a control freak who's overprotective of your intellectual property to the point of paranoia. No offense, of course; this is just my opinion, and there may be something I haven't thought of. Your thoughts?

Are those in different colors or something? They all look the same to me.

MyAlt4099 wrote:

And almost all the "template" items designed to be modified are designed for store owners, and priced as such! I mean, seriously? What about the people who just like customizing their own stuff

I totally agree, those builder packs cost a whopping two dollars, sometimes even five! How are we going to eat and pay our mortgage?

Seriously, try buying 3d models for that price anywhere else, are you insane?

I have to agree with you Kwakkelde. Most people are clueless as to the costs of being creative/  I can't even type a fitting response because the attitude of "gimme, gimme, gimme" just makes me ill.  People want it all for free.  They think SL should be free, nice idea but not happening.

Maybe people should go and visit TurboSquid, or Renderosity and see what prices are charged perhaps they will have a greater appreciation of what little bit is being charged in SL. 

If you don't like what people charge, then create your own stuff.

Morgaine Christensen wrote:

[ ... ]

If you don't like what people charge, then create your own stuff.

Exactly.  We're accustomed to thinking of anything that costs more than L$1000 as expensive.  Sorry, but that's the price of a small lunch in RL,  $4 US.  When I sell a dress that I have spent a day making, I may get as much as $1.  A building that I have spent part of a week on may bring me $4.   If I write a custom script for a client, I may get $12 to $15.  I don't expect to get rich selling goods and services in SL --- that's really not why I'm here --- but please don't insult me and other creators by telling me that the things I create at less than minimum wage aren't even worth the price of your Big Mac.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.