Sign in to follow this  
NealCrz

SL Friends RL Friends

Faye Feldragonne wrote:

My best friends in SL are also my friends in RL. We're Facebooked or connected via email.

yes. No facebook though, don't do "social networks" :)

A friend is a friend, plain simple. I have a couple of RL friends that I've first met in SL. And my best RL friend (for ages now) joined SL too 5 years somewhat ago. So, the best of both worlds in both worlds! How about that. :smileylol:

Six Igaly wrote:

A friend is a friend, plain simple. I have a couple of RL friends that I've first met in SL. And my best RL friend (for ages now) joined SL too 5 years somewhat ago. So, the best of both worlds in both worlds! How about that. :smileylol:

Dats coolage.  After all its all RL.

What a nice topic this is... I wish i could say that i have friends in sl which I knew also in rl but no..

I am alone in rl and unfortunately also alone in sl maybe because I am playing myself so not different person.  It would be great to meet a friend(s) who i can meet in rl to and who knows what happens.

But I have to admit after 5 years SL its still difficult to find friends in sl .. where is the place to be?

Greetz Mysterie Forcella ( Holland)

Mysterie Forcella wrote:

What a nice topic this is... I wish i could say that i have friends in sl which I knew also in rl but no..

I am alone in rl and unfortunately also alone in sl maybe because I am playing myself so not different person.  It would be great to meet a friend(s) who i can meet in rl to and who knows what happens.

But I have to admit after 5 years SL its still difficult to find friends in sl .. where is the place to be?

Greetz Mysterie Forcella ( Holland)

A lot of us are ourselves in SL Mysterie.   I try to say hi to people after all the world does'nt have enough kindness.  I find if I just put myself out there comment on someones outfit, or or avi or just say hi,  all kinds of fun things happen.   Some are just short conversations, some nothing, but many turn out to be friends. :)

Perhaps search on Holland groups?  I recently joined s buch of Florida USA groups and found out they are taking a RL cruise in Feb of people that are on SL.

Best of luck

I love my SL friends and certainly feel closer to many of them than I do my RL friends!!  I have been amazed at the quality of friendships I have made here!!  I love it!  Message me sometime and say hello!

LisaMichelle1 wrote:

I love my SL friends and certainly feel closer to many of them than I do my RL friends!!  I have been amazed at the quality of friendships I have made here!!  I love it!  Message me sometime and say hello!

I really love my friends too would help them anyway I'm able in both lives.

I have alot of Sl friends one of them is Genesis Kiopak we known each other now for 2 and half years  and i can say our sl Friendship is great like all friends we had our fights but hes a good overall guy.. we talk on Skype alot too and even have plans to meet in the future ..  I can truly say Gen is better than some of my rl Friends :D

My issue is that sometimes I want to ask RL friends for advice on SL relationships and vice versa.  But RL friends look at me like I'm crazy when I bring up this "game".  Don't know how to deal with that so I keep them seperate.

I keep my SL friends and my RL friends separate. That is to say, if I have any long-lasting SL true friends in the first place.

I don't have many real friends in the real world, so it doesn't make much difference for me whenever I just stand somewhere in-world being quiet. But about my SL friends, if you want to consider those on my friendslist my friends:

It's all a long-distance relationship. In the first few days, possibly weeks, if I'm lucky - It's all fireworks, bliss, happiness, jokes and laughter. It dies down with time, as they get bored with me, or irritated with my logic (or lack thereof). To add to the already-bad concoction: A drop of my inability to socialize well enough with their (rather) large entourage of friends. Soon, my SL friends drift away, and my social life in SL decays slowly and painfully. As for how I feel about them, I suppose I don't blame them - one, I'm not very likable, perhaps; two, perhaps I was never made for the social scene; and three, perhaps my avatar looks too good in a non-sensual way, such that people expect that I must be bubbly and exciting.

I try not to blame it on generation gap - after all, even people that I have met close to my age drive me right around the twist sometimes trying to communicate.

Versus my RL friends? That, my friend, is a battle won for the latter, hands down. The way I met my two closest and truest RL friends are no stranger than the way I met my SL friends. One I met online, and became friends after we realized we shared common interests, common hatred, and a common nationality. And what fun is it being in the same country if we didn't meet up and talk trash about the things we hate? Another, I met through, put it simply, music classes - and we just built a bond from communicating and interacting. I feel strongly for these two, more so than I feel for my SL friends and I'll be honest, it's because -

Within SL, I can't built a friendship out of honesty. People rely on the fact that it's the internet and there's anonymity, and wish to not confide in me, or let me confide in them. Few people come up to break my shell and get me to talk. Even fewer want to talk about the things that I want to talk about. So far none that I have met want to even talk about the stuff I always talk about for more than a couple of weeks. Some time after I went on a hiatus in late October, I completely stopped dragging my RL life as topics for SL - until today, because I felt that maybe it'd be fun to share, since the OP seems so kindly curious. 

I'm glad I keep my SL friends and my RL friends separate - I feel very strongly for my RL friends, although they in turn dislike the fact that I come on to SL so often. My SL friends don't say much to me these days, and I'm glad they don't, because I don't think they'll like me or my RL friends much.

I've gotten used to 'losing' my SL friends. Whether they remove me off their friendslist is up to them, but I won't delete someone off my list. That doesn't mean, however, that I'll let people on my list easily. With my RL friends, however, it's a different story - I can't imagine not knowing them, and not speaking to them. We can stay in a room all silent and in different corners, but we know we're close - to the extent that we speak with glances at each other. 

To end my ridiculously long post for 'how do I feel...": I guess I'll say that no matter what it is, no matter how lonely SL gets sometimes for me, there's still that magic when you find someone communicable. Hell, I'd rather talk to someone for only three days, than try to talk to someone who can say nothing more than "lindens plz" and "sex?":matte-motes-bashful-cute:

I have to say there isn't a difference with how I treat them, not to brag but, I am very nice, helpful, and generous when I can be to any friend, even to aquaintances and yes noobs. However I've never gotten as close to an SL friend as I am to my RL friends, not even close. This is mostly due to me having to communicate only through typing, so I can't act more like myself with SL friends, because you know when you type something you have more of a chance to think of what you're going to say and most of who I am usually comes spilling out without a second thought, I'm spontaneous :D

So I would have to say that sadly, unless I get a mic or use skype, none of my SL friends will ever know me as well as my RL friends do, and that missing connection is what I find necessary for me to get close to someone and care for them on a higher level.

Many of my SL friends are my RL friends... either we met in one world or the other but, in the end it is the same.

also.. i treat all my friends the same..

just because, i met someone in a virtual community doesn't mean they do not deserve the same respect as the ppl that are in my life in the "real world".