You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok Im having some major issues in SL at the moment.  It seems the SL servers wont connect with mine or SL servers keep dropping connection with me.

I cant TP, I cant cross a sim with out floating away through everything till i crash.  I cant rezz objects though I can wear them.  My inventory will just hang on fetching even though all items are present.  When i try to look up a saved TP info i get this message..Information about this location is unavailable due to access restrictions. Please check your permissions with the parcel owner...ummmm???? what??? These are places i go all the time o.O.  If I can tp out and rezz stuff, when i get to the sim I tped too...guess what..I lose server again :D

Sometimes can take up to 5 logins just to be able to change clothing or rezz something or tp out..just to lose it again.  I can be logged in over an hour and inventory is still fetching.

I have checked my firewall settings...been logged onto SL while my server provider monitored my connection...nothing wrong on my end at all.  Funny thing is sim condtion is good..Im sitting on 60+ fps with no lag yet peoples name in local chat is Loading, friends list Loading...groups list is blank, inventory is fetching etc.

If someone out there has any suggestions to how I can maybe solve this that would be great, though i dont think there is anything i can do my end..all is good there.

Help?

What type of connection do you have to the Internet? Are you on Cable or DSL? How are you connected from your computer to your Modem/Router? Is it WiFi or are you using an Ethernet cable?

The best results are found with a wired connection between your computer and the Modem/Router and using a Cable Modem. DSL can be finicky because of its dependence on telephone wiring .. especially if it's been raining or there has been a lot of construction in your area.

WiFi is prone to a lot of packet loss and cross-talk or interference from a neighbor's setup. If you live in a densely populated area (such as an apartment building) and are on WiFi, try changing the channel used by the WiFi Router; most everyone uses the default one out of the box and that makes everyone step on everyone else's signal. Also try messing with the antenna, moving things around might just give a better signal at your current direction from the WiFi Router.

Definitely check for packet loss .. and test to see if there are better times in the day than others. You might find a correlation between what your neighbors are doing and your ability to connect.

Im hard wired DSL.  Some days are fine but they are too far inbetween.  Ive been in sl over 3 years and things seem to have gotton worse over that time.  I upgraded my comp to keep up with the graphics demand of mesh etc.  Packet lose was 0.1%.

I enjoy sl dont get me wrong, its a great gamming platform but lately is causing nothing but frustration...I was just logged in over an hr and inventory still not loaded, then SL logged me out......sighs.

Helm Anton wrote:

Im hard wired DSL.  (snip)

Most DSL setups suffer periodic degradation (worsening) of performance. Usually it's traceable to simple things like .. someone plugged in a new phone, the kids tripped over a phone wire and compromised it .. or something equally innocent looking.

Try unplugging every phone in the house and then connect to SL. If you get better performance then you know that one phone .. somewhere .. is causing the issue. Plug each phone back in, one at a time, and watch to see what happens to your connection. It's a slow methodical process, but it can work wonders to fix problems with connection issues.

As for the inventory loading, I've always been blessed with a small inventory and never suffered major problems. But I did at one time try the approach of logging into a basically empty Region, setting my Draw Distance down to the minimum (32m) and then removing all attachments. I then searched in my Inventory for something I knew wasn't there (I used something random like "lkajfoald") .. then waited. It took a few minutes but eventually everything was loaded and available. After that exercise, it hasn't caused me any further trouble .. BUT I must also repeat, I have a small inventory and thus do not suffer many issues.

I do know there are other steps you can take, clearing the Viewer cache, logging into the Beta Test Grid .. and a few others that are posted in the Knowledge Base. Hopefully someone else can post a few links to procedures they've found helpful in the past.

Yeah, this is almost certainly your network connection, no matter what your ISP is telling you.  Considering the disgusting mess in telco copper plant, it's amazing that DSL ever works at all and, at its best, it's absurdly vulnerable to the slightest change, either on your end, as Darrius points out, or on the provider's.

You might try tweaking Preferences / Setup / Network settings, particularly setting "Maximum bandwidth" to some low number, perhaps 100 Kbps, just to see if it's any better.

The thing is, though, you're not getting very much packet loss. Considering the problems you're describing, that's very surprising, so maybe there's something more mysterious happening.

One note: If you're seeing 60 fps, you're looking at viewer framerate, not the sim's, which never exceeds 45fps. The viewer rate can be very high, even if the sim is stalling out and the network slowed to a trickle. Come to think of it, those are probably the ideal conditions for high viewer framerates. :matte-motes-wink:

Exactly Qie, yesterday was such a day with almost unplayable lag for me. My ISP just migrated to another network and since then the service is awful. Couldn't even move, packet loss of up to 300% (how they do that?), latency through the roof, being a friggin cloud all the time ... but my fps was very very good. :smileysurprised:

I did a speed test with the three locations where sl severs are...worsed was 4.80 MBS upload with 485 ping o.O..not good. best was 6.56 Mbs upload and 212 ping, packet lose was 0%.  From what i have read 150 ping is the max you really want for a good connection.

Ive opend up all the ports in my fire wall as suggested in the knowledge base

Ive also discovered yesterday that when i lose the server, I wear a prim or object..edit it then detach it..then I can usually rezz that object to ground and delete it.  Takes about 20 seconds for it to be returned to my trash...when it is, Im reconnected.

The other thing I found is when inventory is hanging on fetching, if i take off a tattoo layer that seems to stop the hang now.

Thanx for all the people who have posted suggestions and helped.

TC all.

I have the same problem,similar to Helm Anton, the problems is not the Helm conections the problems is Linden labs with a horrible service and conection so why the most people in these forums when someone complains of a problem or some bad service trying to blame players alleging problems on their computers or connections always trying to wash the face to linden labs. I cant enter to a server without dropping it and i Iost conecction and the client crash and additional the system reporting problems is a disgusting, slow, and horrible. :matte-motes-angry:

From a purely diagnostic point of view, when a problem appears the first step is to determine how many are affected by the problem. In the case of dropped connections and frequent log-outs, a vast majority of people have no trouble like this .. but a few do. Thus the conclusion reached is that the small number of people affected must have something particular to their systems, connections or ISP.

This has been proven out on numerous occassions, but not all.

However, if the problem was grid-wide and everyone was affected then your premise that it's LL's fault would be valid. Unfortunately this is not the case, and so we must return to looking for problems that are unique to each person suffering the issue.

The people that help out here don't just base their replies on a few people reporting it.  Most are also very active in world helping people too. 

While I grant you that LL could do a lot more than they do to stabilize the grid, some problems are caused by the internet connection you use, or something else on your end.  If it were strictly a SL problem everyone on the grid would be experiencing the same thing in varying degrees, not just a few. I do not have any of the problems you have and don't know anyone that does. 

No one is trying to "wash the face of LL"  here. It wouldn't do the people any good here if we all blamed LL anytime there was a problem.  I've had issues in the past that were definitely caused by my ISP or graphics card, viewer or something else on my end.  When I tracked down the problem and fixed it then the issues disappeared. So when someone has similar issues I tell them what I did to fix mine and a lot of the time that works for them.

Ir is a lot easier to blame LL than it is to deal with a problem on your end, especially if you don't know much about it. 

Maybe and some times the problems with a conections are a players with a computers video cards etc, but not all time the problems is the players, you say to me i dont know, ha , i know the problem now and is not the players the problem now is the horrible grid lag and this is not for a ISP. in this times 2012 the service are ugly, the most time the LL dont respond the reports  and this is a wash face, i just think leave  for a criminals, for a griefers, for the ulgy live service, the live service i dont like it , when i speak with some employer in the live chat, i think i speak with a bot. they like repeat the same with macros to a players.  :matte-motes-angry:

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

Maybe and some times the problems with a conections are a players with a computers video cards etc, but not all time the problems is the players, you say to me i dont know, ha , i know the problem now and is not the players the problem now is the horrible grid lag and this is not for a ISP. in this times 2012 the service are ugly, the most time the LL dont respond the reports  and this is a wash face, i just think leave  for a criminals, for a griefers, for the ulgy live service, the live service i dont like it , when i speak with some employer in the live chat, i think i speak with a bot. they like repeat the same with macros to a players.  :matte-motes-angry:

Oh wow... what a mood   :manfrustrated: 

*hands over some fresh soap to go with that face wash... wow...

guess thats all I can say about this today.... wow 

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

No one is white washing anything.  But I can say with confidence that over 99% of the time when a friend has said to me they were having troubles it has always been solved by either simply rebooting their computer or rebooting their Modem.

We see it all the time here.  People swear they have the latest and greatest computers and that their Internet connection includes a direct line to God.

They argue with us about it and refuse to do the simple tests we suggest.  But 99% of the time, when they finally do as we suggest they make the discovery that they did not have the direct line to God they thought they had.  And then and only then are we able to help them solve their problem.

It is a rare instance that it turns out to be something that needs to be fixed on Linden Labs end with the exception of region crossings which they are working hard to fix.

Second Life is a complex system.   Why it is hard for people to understand this is something I don't understand.  It takes a minimum of thought to figure this out.  I'm not the smartest kid on the block and I figured it out.

"...

t is a rare instance that it turns out to be something that needs to be fixed on Linden Labs end with the exception of region crossings which they are working hard to fix.

Second Life is a complex system.   Why it is hard for people to understand this is something I don't understand.  It takes a minimum of thought to figure this out.  I'm not the smartest kid on the block and I figured it out."

----------------------------------------

Watch, Perrie.  You'll get a reputation of being a Linden Lab lacky like me.  :)

But I do agree with you..........except maybe the 99% thing.  I'm thinking it's more like 98.9% (we got to be accuate now.  :) ).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.