IN WORLD NOTIFICATIONS A MUST...PLEASE CHANGE

LaylAmoure Latte

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4158 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The recent rolling restarts on Oct 31, caused me to lose 15K lindens worth of no copy furniture, because I was not aware that LL had stopped "in world notifications" & not to rez, buy items, or purchase money during this time...All I have been getting like everyone else was "restarting region in 5 minutes & the countdown".  Only this particular day I had already logged out after rezzing my objects and went to work.  I came home to see restart notices and all of my stuff I put out that morning gone.   I requested a rollback on my region but later found out that the backup for my region happened about 5 minutes before I rezzed my belongings, and then restart happened a little over 30 minutes later, thus making my changes not saved, and the items were missing from my inventory.  When I talked to the support staff via tickets and live chat, I was told then that we have to check the Grid Status blogs before logging in everyday to see these notices. I was also told that in world notices were stopped at some point but they were not sure why, but that it had caused some problems.  My guess is people in SL complained about getting them too much.  Well I don't know about anyone else but checking the grid blog is a joke, as I could check that every morning and 2 seconds later LL can update it while I am in world and I am screwed again not knowing there was an issue. After having said that, and proceeded to check the grid status every time I log in now, then I found that on Saturday morning, the next day after complaining about it, that everything was ok. So I log in, then during the time I was online that day trying to figure out all I had lost, there were 3 posts while I was online that there were problems I wasn't aware of, now I look today and I see there have been multiple posts daily that show up at any given time.  The very thing I was worried about happening has happened multiple days in a row now.  Checking this blog every 5 minutes is not a reliable option, if you are doing alot of work in SL.  So, please bring back in world notifications!!!  If people hate receiving them and would rather check blog, or risk losing everything, then make it a preference that you uncheck if you don't want to see in world notices. With the except for region restart warnings, that would create alot more problems if you stopped those.  I would also like to see a closer back up time to your restart than a little over 30 minutes, but if that is not feesible, then at least let me know when I log in that morning that issues, and or, rolling restarts are being experienced today, and to rez at your own risk.  I would not have rezzed anything had I known....In 5 years of being in SL I have never lost a thing, when I got those notices, and I would prefer those notices come up and I have to click on them to get them to go away, just in case I am afk getting a cup of coffee or answering a phone call.  Like I said...if people do not wish to get them they could always uncheck that in their preferences, but it should be a default for all new residents and for anyone updating their viewer.  All those that agree with me.....reply and reply again...the more replies we get, the more the developers will pay attention....I don't know anyone that wants to see their stuff gone for good, or having their builds destroyed.  All those with me....give me a "Heck Yeah Layla"!!

No arguement from me  :catfrustrated:  I've lost stuff due to "unexpected" restarts.

I never minded the official notifications - better than hearing from my peers, that something is going wrong, checking Grid Status and seeing nothing posted about it - yet. Then BOOM - '...your region will restart in 30 seconds...'   Not even enough time to pack up the paints and pieces.

I pretty much know not to do any work now on Wednesday mornings, but surprises happen. And they're rarely the good kind of surprise.

Better notification would be useful, seeing as how the Grid Status can change in the blink of an eye. Especially for those of us who stop to answer the phone, get some coffee, or just step away from the comp for 10-20 minutes.  

And some type of audible warning would be really nice, too - like the IM 'ding' - maybe a factory whistle ?

So..."Heck Yeah Layla"!

Heck yeah... totally agree with you. This also relates to a request (somewhere in the JIRA which no one can comment or vote on anymore) that the sim-state be saved right before the sim is restarted, to minimize these types of losses.  It doesn't make sense that this isn't done as a matter of course already.

I hope that you will contact the vendors and try to get your items replaced... I feel for you because I am aware that many will not replace or worse, are no longer inworld enough to give proper service.

This is one of the big reasons I have been changing my products over to copyable items... you cannot depend on Second Life to take care of no-copy items and it's a big hassle for people to do the legwork to get new copies. People shouldn't have to do that. :( 

I totally support inworld notifications!

This also relates to a request (somewhere in the JIRA which no one can comment or vote on anymore) that the sim-state be saved
right
before
the sim is restarted, to minimize these types of losses.  It doesn't make sense that this isn't done as a matter of course already. 

Yeah, and I think that's how it's supposed to work now, for planned restarts: The sim goes offline and backs itself up before shutting down for update, so there should be no opportunity to rez anything that doesn't get into the saved sim state. Now, we all have plenty of experiences where this didn't happen, so I'd guess that something in the process often causes the sim to crash before the backup can be completed.

So, personally, I'd rather they spent resources fixing whatever's broken with that, first, before directing attention to better notifications. The main reason I'd approach the problem in that order is that the notifications thing is kind of tricky to spec-out. For example, I move from sim to sim a lot, and very often find myself logged out during rolling restarts, having just landed in a sim that's only a few seconds from a restart. That could be avoided if the notifications were elaborate enough--tied-in with border crossings and teleports, for example--but likely a significant bit of development.

If all that's desired is something less ambitious than that, I guess I'm not clear on the specifics of when notifications should go out, and to whom.

Thank you Sera, I totally agree backups should happen closer to restart times, and Thank you again for making your items copy versions now, that is a huge plus for your store.  I have yet to go to your store to find my outdoor furniture that I lost during restart and discover if I still have it in my inventory, because I knew your store was still open and I was finding and getting more frustrated that half the businesses where I lost furniture were no longer in business, as you said, and I couldn't find them on marketplace either.

One vendor I contacted to ask a question took 2 days to respond as she was not inworld very often, and she did give me a copy version of the non copy decor that came with the houseboat, and because she took so long to answer gave me a gift of another item that I never owned, that was very nice and rare, as I suspect most people like LL will say..."oh well too bad for you".  So I applaude Interior Addictions for doing that, however I lost much of the other furniture from that store, and it is too expensive to replace right now.  I am praying the remaining items I have yet to locate are copied in my vast 47K item inventory...not an easy task.  As I have to go to the store itself to figure out the name of the furniture in order to find it in my inventory.  I love your store and look forward to finding replacement items there if in fact I cant find the originals any longer, or they are too expensive or too high prim to replace. 

Good Point, I have not experienced that, as everywhere I teleport to these days I just found out are all on the same Server. But the blog doesn't work at all and is completely unreliable....I would prefer all servers restarted log us out for an hour to back up and restart....but that we get more than just 5 minutes to prepare for being ejected. A simple log-in message inworld notifying us all which servers are being restarted at some point during the day, would let us know no matter where we teleport to that day it could become an issue.

not really a vote.....we just need to give this subject great attention on this board, because supposedly the developers look on these boards for the items that get the most feedback, and use that to implement new ideas....that is why I want everyone that agrees to come here and leave a comment so that these developers see just how serious this problem is and how it affects us. We need them to protect our virtual worlds we work so hard to create, and no one wants to loose their no copy items, and so few stores make things copy, unless you pay a higher price. Things have to change. The fact that we used to be advised of issues in world, then it stopped, and backups are not done closer to restart and items can still be rezzed in between backup and restart...has to change. I never received a notice in world or even in my email that these in world notifications were being stopped. I never check the status grid blog, unless I cant log in, as LL can change that anytime, why bother...If I check and log in, then 2 minutes later they change it notifying of a problem...well I'm just screwed cause I didn't check every 2 minutes....really not fair or practical.

This is really a major issue for the Server Deploy Team, and one that the new Head of Server Deploys (assuming that there IS one appointed after Oskar's departure) must address as a matter of urgency.

As I understood matters, as Qie says a sim-state save is (or rather is supposed to be) done immediately prior to a shutdown for a Roll.

If this is not happening then that needs to be sorted out right now.

The inworld notifications stopped a long time ago and really there is no excuse for not checking with the Grid Status Page, where Restart times are clearly set out on the Google calendar even if the  actual text is not updated.  The GSP is a bit wayward on some issues but about Rolling Restarts it is rarely innaccurate.

Inworld notifications of impending maintenance/doom?

Yes, please!

While Firestorm shows a short grid status overview on the login window, I guess, noone looks on http://status.secondlifegrid.net/ every 5 minutes, in case something goes pear shaped.

@LaylAmoure Latte: I would ask the sellers of the items very nicely for a redelivery. Some sellers have redelivery terminals in their inworld shops, so if some of your lost items came from one of those sellers, you could try that avenue.

Thank you I will try that.....Yes I just noticed that Firestorm had that short little part on the log in screen, but half the time my log in screen stays white and won't load even though I can still log in.....but I have been looking at that lately everytime it comes up, at least until we get in world notices. I never know how often that is updated, and if you log in after the fact, you will still not know of any changes.

I can assure you in my case it was not updated immediately before restart but rather at least 30 minutes before hand. I agree a Major issue that needs correcting now....I was mostly away from SL for about a year, so it is possible they stopped and notified us all of the change, I just wasn't aware of it, nor would a new user be aware of it. I was going on past experience and I remembered when we used to get them in world, so I didn't know there was a change. While grid maintenance is clearly defined on the grid status page, this particular week, there was a delay and it happened the next day, I do check grid status now before logging in...but over the weekend I checked then logged in, and was there all day long, and the next morning before logging in I noticed after I checked the previous day, that 3 separate notices had been posted for the day before after I checked...so to me it is just very unreliable.

I feel your pain......the not knowing truly sucks. Until they change their ways of notifications I refuse to raze no copy items anymore, in spite of how much money I spend here monthly.  Checking that grid status board is a joke.  If you use Phoenix I just found out that they do post on the log on screen if maintenance is being done, but if you have the same issue I do, half the time that screen remains white and won't load. I am still shell shocked after a week, and check that grid status before I rez anything....takes the fun and spontaneity out of SL for me right now.

Also Linda...if you are owner of the Sim or one of the Sim Managers, you can request a rollback to their last update, but you need to know the time....there is a 72 hour limit however, so after that they can't roll back. I did request the rool back and realized at that moment when it did work, that I placed items between their back up and the restart, which happened after I logged out...so I never got inworld notice sim would restart in 5 minutes. Live an learn...but there needs to be a better process to protect our inventory...Too bad it won't put the stuff in our lost and found rather than kill it altogether.

ok I hate to keep driving a point home.....but when I see something like this....I have to share it, to prove how unreliable the posting is.  I just got off the Live chat with support, because the grid status report while the heading is dated Nov 7th, they note a inventory maintenance for Nov 8th, even though time has expired there is no Done message posted....No offense what-so-ever for support staff, they are doing their job.  My issue is with Grid Status reporting....here is the conversation I just had with Live chat.

DrikaG: Hi LaylAmoure

You: Hi ....after losing alot of items this past week due to maintenance I have been checking grid status before
logging in...but today this noticed dated yesterday is there

You: [Posted 11:45AM PST, 07 November 2012] We will be performing inventory server maintenance on
Thursday, November 8th from 5:00AM - 7:00AM PST. During this time, some residents will be logged off
and will be temporarily unable to log in for a brief period. This maintenance may disrupt transactions and
logins. Please check back here for updates.

You: can you tell me if it is over for today...no posting after that

DrikaG: Sorry to hear you have been losing items.
DrikaG: Just a moment while I check

You: TY....so much

DrikaG: The Rolling restarts was completed at around 10:54am pdt on yesterday. There are no rolling restarts
for today.

You: ok but it says on Nov 8th there will be issues as well, but time has expired....did they just type wrong
date, or did they do it, then just not say it was over?

DrikaG: ah ok, thats for inventory maintenance. We can't say its resolved yet because they haven't posted an
update so the maintenance is still going on.
DrikaG: They usually post when they are done with any maintenance.

You: o k...well as you can imagine, I am a little jumpy about doing anything now when maintenance is going
on.....so I guess I will just wait to see when they post a done notice.

DrikaG: Yes, to be on the safe side, please wait until they post they are done.
DrikaG: Is there anything else I can help you with today?

You: no that's it....thanks for your help

DrikaG: You're Welcome
DrikaG: We appreciate you for contacting Linden Lab Support and continuing to be a part of Second Life!
Enjoy the rest of your Day!

You: U 2 :)

POINT MADE.....In world notices a MUST at log in....Status board is not to be trusted.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4158 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.