Renting question

SLtesterL2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just a quick question about renting. I wanna rent a piece of isolated land which no one can wander into unless they teleport :) now I don't want it HUGE but I just want it flat and empty which I can build on. What steps would I need to take to be able to rent this type of land. PS is there someway I can find out how big each set of land is like visual wise? I know there's 512, 1025m, etc, does anyone have any visuals? Thank you :)

There's not much privacy on a 512, cos you'll have lots of neighbors. Even if you are 1000 meters in the sky on a platform, people have ways to find you and will fly up there to check out your things. There are some things you can do to minimize the invasion, such as installing a visitors orb that will grant only certain people access, or putting up ban lines. Even with ban lines on a 512, your neighbors could still fly up from their land, and look into your parcel. There's also a check box you can check in About Land that will make your avatar appear invisible to people not on your parcel.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Managing-your-parcel/ta-p/700113#Section_.6

I would recommend renting a homestead sim, if you wanted complete privacy.

As far as land size goes, a whole sim is 65,536 sqm or 256x256 meters. If you want to know how big that is, rez a 256x256 prim. A 512 parcel is just 1/128th of that, so it's quite small.

Hope this helped!

I could draw you some visual boxes, SLtester, but that's not an option here on the forum.

Regular sizes of SL plots are:

512 m² = 32 x 16m = 1/128 sim = 117 prims

1024 = 32 x 32 = 1/64 sim = 234

2048 = 64 x 32 = 1/32 sim = 468

4096 = 64 x 64 = 1/16 sim = 936

8192 = 128 x 64 = 1/8 sim = 1872

16384 = 128 x 128 = 1/4 sim = 3744

32768 = 256 x 128 = 1/2 sim = 7488

656536 = 256 x 256 = 1 sim = 15000

Note that on homesteads the amount of prims is only 1/4 of that on a fulll sim.

Of course you can find many odd shaped and sized parcels, depending how the former owner did cut them.

When you're out scouting for land, please make property lines visible so you have an exact outline of the parcel in question. It also shows up when you click on the ground or into About Land.

As a builder i would never consider anything less than a 4096 with 937 prims for building unless you create small low prim items.  If you are building larger things a 4096 may be too small and restrict what you can build. It also may not have enough prims.  So get the biggest piece of land you can afford and one that allows you to use ban lines if you build on the ground and security systems if you want to build up high on a platform since ban lines only go so far up.

For land on a private estate, be sure to read the covenant as many estates don't allow you to use a lot as a sandbox, only a platform above a specified height.  For mainland,  although there is no covenant on mainland for the most part, be considerate of your neighbors and don't rent land in an obvious residential area.  It is better to look for land where the neighbors are more of the industrial type.  You'll get fewer complaints.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.