Goodbye, Oskar Linden

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can that be? First, you're already finished with this forum and SL, and second, you never believe things just because you read them. You said both of those things. So how can you start a "How we got here" thread, because you certainly weren't around to see it for yourself, and you don't have the scientific skills to prove it.

Porky Gorky wrote:

Rival Destiny wrote:

umm, I know it's tomorrow in Australia but wow, where do you live?

She lives far far away, in the land of make believe and pixies.

...hmmm

Either that or her tin foil hat has suffered a catastrophic malfunction.

I try to find humor in most things these days, but I still have a long way to go to improve on my sarcasm gene which often times result in both feet entering my mouth.

Anyway, no offense meant here ... all in good fun.

And NO, I'm not promoting my new line of tin foil hats sold on MP (priced to sell).

Okay I don't understand why all the Lindens I once knew are getting laid off.

http://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/oskar-linden-leaves-linden-lab/

Based on this he was told to pack his bags simply because a griefer complained, seriously I am sick and tired of griefers I have complained to Linden Lab many times to increase security on registration accounts to prevent constant abuse of alternate accounts.

I have seen CopyBotters, YES AGAIN in Second Life Since 2009 They are copying from merchants I know of have shop with and trust, and to be quite strict theres 14 thousand plus registered accounts on some CopyBot sites I can't name here due to the TOS think about it thats a lot of accounts on a couple of forums, some of these people are not even hiding their SL Identity aka they are using their SL name, I have sent AR's on the people wearing stolen stuff my friend creator their name as creator and Linden Lab does nothing. Lets not forget about the most recent a RP community who pays over $1000 a month the owner does, but their friends of friends who plays there CopyBots many peoples hairs, and posts them on a sharing site which other people download and import/SPOOF? I have sent Abuse Reports to LL on this and this griefer is still in Second Life, meanwhile I have logs of rumors started by their ADMIN where they tried to say I was behind it without proof managed to get two of their creator friends I can't give names here to pass them rumors around but I got to the bottom of where it started.

What Does Linden Lab want now to have a community of Trolls, Griefers, and Botters it seems LL doesn't take it seriously I would say this is an opinion not a fact becuase I know LL will claim they do but unless someone files a DMCA it seems nothing gets done for the most part of the griefers I see.

Oh wait heres something interesting you all might think once you see this for yourself.

http://tinypic.com/r/2ltosv6/6  Oh wait isn't that oscar linden in local chat winks.

Heres the funny thing there were 3 COPYBOTTERS here on this day, LL did nothing after file of AR's, agian wearing stuff friends created. ( Why they were there I guess the sims kept mysteriously crashing.)

I want Second Lifeto be thes best experience ever, but Linden Lab needs to do the following.

1. Add more security to registrations to prevent griefer accounts.
2. Remove the Spyware systems, CDS, Red Zone, and Ban Networks.
3. Start giving better protection for Ripped Content. Take it a bit more seriously.

For those who may hear rumors, Yes I get accused of griefing a lot because of a lot of poltical viewers, opinions, ideas, and because I hate a lot of these no good for nothing looser griefers, and they get Butt-Hurt so much they go cry to everyone about me pretty pathetic, but either way this said they piss off so many people they finally get served, and if it happens so be it not my problem, I just call you out on unoffical SL forums and serivce winks, and I do not ever Forget period some people say it makes me a bad person for not forgetting but so be it. These Griefers/Botters make me rage so hard everytime I login to SL and have to hear a person i know has been seriously screwed over, let alone try to enjoy my Second Life in a SandBox and see the person next to me is botting, or botted content in the sandbox where I am seems to be there 90% of the time I login to SL.

I do have more, lots more from over the years.

Including Logs of Linden's talking to griefers in chat winks. Maybe I will get consent to disclose some of these on unoffical blogs, All I will say is its amazing what you can see when your on a newbie account logged in at random welcome areas and sandboxes using a program like proxifier and multiple MAC Addresses. Sometimes you just funny what you can see in local chat, or on voice which is why I have my f11 key for snapshots and f12 for record in all games. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life 30% Layoff yeah I knew of a lot of those lindens from when I start SL.

Can Linden Lab stop trying to add all these features, and start giving residents the few things they need like protection from griefers and ways to improve their Second Life. Then maybe work on things like AI Bots, and instead of highlight terrain give us 3D Terrain sculpting in SL not just Highlight terrain.

I do understand there are good purposes for BOTS, like API scripted bots, or Networked bots for running a MMO in SL, which is very hard to do but seems to be one thing that LL is working on why they are making pathing for NPC's aka sculpted mesh avatars to walk and interact, but its going to take much more than just basic pathing actual scripting of bots to play animations, sit, sleep, eat, drink, talk like the talker bot script in SL and such to make it feel human, maybe even play sounds and upload sounds past 10 seconds would be great.

Parhelion Palou wrote:

Ciaran Laval wrote:

Yup very disappointing news that the rumours have been confirmed to be true, he was an excellent communicator.

Communicating with the residents is apparently a firing offense at LL.

Well that would explain why we're pretty much living in a communications blackout on the Merchant Forums.

I totally agree with what Oskar said in the post referenced by Lindall:

"You are all amazing. You are Second Life, not Linden Lab. Never forget that."

This should be framed and have a prominet location in Rod's office and copies within each LL employee's cubicle.  I worked for a Fortune 500 corporation awhile back and the company's mission statement was posted in each cube, which was, loosely translated - We are here to serve our customers.

Deltango Vale wrote:

ETA:

Tangentially related, I found this link:

Thank you for that link!  Coincidentally I was browsing through a table of $1.00 books at a local store recently and came across "The Making of Second Life" by none other than Wagner James Au aka Hamlet Linden when he was an "embedded journalist" in the early days of SL.  The book's copyright is 2008 so a lot of the info is no longer current, but for a dollar I snatched it up as an addition to my library and a good read on some of the history of SL.

I've come across the New World Notes blog before but now having purchased Au's book, I've got the blog bookmarked!

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Thank you for that link!  Coincidentally I was browsing through a table of $1.00 books at a local store recently and came across "The Making of Second Life" by none other than Wagner James Au aka Hamlet Linden when he was an "embedded journalist" in the early days of SL.  The book's copyright is 2008 so a lot of the info is no longer current, but for a dollar I snatched it up as an addition to my library and a good read on some of the history of SL.

I've come across the New World Notes blog before but now having purchased Au's book, I've got the blog bookmarked!

I have found Wagner James Au's writings often lack any real substance, leaving the reader wanting more. I think he has always lacked credibility in the past because he has been paid by the company's that he is reporting on and as a result, allot of his reporting is biased towards his employers. A clear conflict of interest. This was clearly evidenced when he first started working for the developers of Blue Mars. Almost overnight he went from being Pro SL to anti SL and Pro Blue Mars. Once  Blue Mars went under he seemed to swing back to supporting SL, seeing as that was the only notable game in town and his website would be nothing without it. I remember reading an article he wrote last year in which he blamed the stagnation of SL on us the userbase, completely neglecting the years of poor decision making that LL had made and the impact that had had on user retention and growth of SL. Nowadays Hamlet just seems completely out of touch with the SL community, and when I read his blog I have to wonder when the last time was he actually logged into SL for any notable amount of time to experience the virtual world that he reports upon.

Just the opinion of one self appointed critic that has been reading his blog since it started.

That being said I am sure the book will be a very interesting read! :matte-motes-big-grin:

Porky Gorky wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I have found Wagner James Au's writings often lack any real substance, leaving the reader wanting more. I think he has always lacked credibility in the past because he has been paid by the company's that he is reporting on and as a result, allot of his reporting is biased towards his employers. A clear conflict of interest. This was clearly evidenced when he first started working for the developers of Blue Mars. Almost overnight he went from being Pro SL to anti SL and Pro Blue Mars. Once  Blue Mars went under he seemed to swing back to supporting SL, seeing as that was the only notable game in town and his website would be nothing without it. I remember reading an article he wrote last year in which he blamed the stagnation of SL on us the userbase, completely neglecting the years of poor decision making that LL had made and the impact that had had on user retention and growth of SL. Nowadays Hamlet just seems completely out of touch with the SL community, and when I read his blog I have to wonder when the last time was he actually logged into SL for any notable amount of time to experience the virtual world that he reports upon.

Just the opinion of one self appointed critic that has been reading his blog since it started.

That being said I am sure the book will be a very interesting read! :matte-motes-big-grin:

in defence of Hamlet (i dont know him at all just his blog)

Hamlet is not a journalist and never has been. even if he thinks so. he is a magazine editor

he quite often runs stuff where he quite often contradicts himself lol. is why i like read his blog

contradictions can mean dif things

a) dont know what i am talking about

b) changed my mind

c) forgot what i said last time. or havent forgot and print anyway

d) all the above and dont really care what people think about that

this is what magazine editors do all the time

+

i also like that his NWN covers more than just SL

when i just want/need hardcore SL then my gotos are Nalates Urriah and Inara Pey. they do that pretty good

16 wrote:

in defence of Hamlet (i dont know him at all just his blog)

Hamlet is not a journalist and never has been. even if he thinks so. he is a magazine editor

I don't read Hamlet's blog. I don't really read any blogs, I look at Prok's sometimes, lately. I think she is good as an SL historian and has things I wouldn't have heard about otherwise. And her rental dementia stories are funny. I can relate to people losing it while you are trying to explain something very simple, and they become abusive.

But I wanted to say  you make a good distinction. I would add that I don't think real journalism exists any more. If there is still some out there I would love to find it. A real journalist is IMPARTIAL, and UNBIASED, and keeps an open mind. They stick to the facts as much as possible and as fairly as possible present all 'sides' if it's an op ed piece, even. Then let the reader decide. Let the reader bring themselves to it. Not it to them. Not forcing it on them already premasticated.

Blogs are really usually just opinions and most are just showing off, like a diary that is meant to be read, it's not really either thing. It's not usually someone's real thoughts but what they might look good thinking. So I don't read blogs.

Melita Magic wrote:

Blogs are really usually just opinions and most are just showing off, like a diary that is meant to be read, it's not really either thing. It's not usually someone's real thoughts but what they might look good thinking. So I don't read blogs.

I really like that description of bloggers, it sums up my opinion of blogs perfectly. That being said I cannot rely on LL to provide me with news of what is happening on their own platform due their selective mutism, so I rely on people like Daniel Voyager and others (even Prok) to tell me what is going on. But as you say you have to dig through the personal opinions in order to find the facts. I also enjoy watching Prok rip apart the posters in her comments section who disagree with her. It's like an e-blood sport.

Porky Gorky wrote:

I also enjoy watching Prok rip apart the posters in her comments section who disagree with her. It's like an e-blood sport.

You might not have enjoyed Prok trying to rip me apart then. I showed her up totally, and not one of her readers (fans?) chimed in on her behalf. Nobody chimed in at all. After blustering away for a while, and being shown to be completely wrong on every point, she finally had to give in and stopped posting comments.

Since that happened, she's sometimes mentioned it, in threads we were both in, as though she gave me a real pasting, but exactly the oppositie was true and, in spite of me asking her to post a link to it so that everyone could see for themselves, she's never posted it. I think she's too afraid of it being seen again because she got proverbially hammered :)

Porky Gorky wrote:

I think Profoky broke the news about Oskar so we are still on topic....for once :matte-motes-big-grin:

(:

+

like Melita said. Prokofy blog is a personal chronicle/diary of SL history

is quite interesting to me from that pov

+

disclaimer: i only seen Prokofy one time ever inworld. was at the last official SL birthday. Prokofy ask in the open chat where is the dance ball. i said back in the chat was over by the side. and thats been it

i never seen any other name blog writer ever either inworld that i can remember. i dont seems to go where they go i suppose. or maybe is just that i log on dif times to them. i not go to linden inworld meetings either. maybe if i went to them i would see lots more. dunno. maybe

16 wrote:

like Melita said. Prokofy blog is a personal chronicle/diary of SL history

is quite interesting to me from that pov

+

disclaimer: i only seen Prokofy one time ever inworld. was at the last official SL birthday. Prokofy ask in the open chat where is the dance ball. i said back in the chat was over by the side. and thats been it

i never seen any other name blog writer ever either inworld that i can remember. i dont seems to go where they go i suppose. or maybe is just that i log on dif times to them. i not go to linden inworld meetings either. maybe if i went to them i would see lots more. dunno. maybe

I rarely ever leave my lands and build above the stores, but I have found if you are here long enough and manage to keep yourself in the search rankings then eventually some of the people with profile in SL come to you, including the likes of Prokofy and Anshe to name a few as well as lots of Lindens including Philip, Sidewinder and Torley. Torley told me my builds were cool so I spent the next 10 mins trying to persuade/bribe him to officially endorse my brand on his website. I failed. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.