Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinknBlonde

Been Falsely Reported

15 posts in this topic

Ok I'll be honest- this girl had an outfit I liked so I bought some lindens with my credit card and dressed like her with things that I PAID for. She said I copy  botted her which is untrue I don't even know what that means. If she reports me Linden Labs will look at my credit card payments and I won't get in trouble right? She's saying I didn't buy those things but I did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because you see something you like someone else is wearing, and buy it to wear  is not copybotting.  Copybotting is copying the intellectual property creations of another person and claiming it as their own work when it isn't.  It is sort of like virtual plaguarism with virtual items instead of words.  

Buying clothes, shoes, skins, hair, and accessories to wear, which have been set for sale by the creator is not copybotting.  Wearing the same thing as another AV is not copybotting.  We buy and wear the same things off the rack  in RL as others do all the time.  You might be thought of having no style of your own if you constantly buy and wear the same things as people you know by the "Fashion Police" or "Fasionistas".

I think the person mispoke when they used the term copybot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If all you did was buy the same outfit as her, you did not copybot. Copybot is when you illegally copy an object.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


PinknBlonde wrote:

Ok I'll be honest- this girl had an outfit I liked so I bought some lindens with my credit card and dressed like her with things that I PAID for. She said I copy  botted her which is untrue I don't even know what that means. If she reports me Linden Labs will look at my credit card payments and I won't get in trouble right? She's saying I didn't buy those things but I did. 

You did nothing that violates the TOS.  As others have stated, copybot is stealing stealing (illegally copying) other peoples content.

And if she did report you I think "she dressed like me" would raise some eyebrows when reviewed.

But it does raise an interesting point.  Many people work hard on their looks and like to see themselves as being unique.  So I can see someone getting upset with someone who has intentionally "twinned" them and looks like them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, I told her I don't know what it is and she cursed at me and threatened me. Some crazies out there :|

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:


PinknBlonde wrote:

Ok I'll be honest- this girl had an outfit I liked so I bought some lindens with my credit card and dressed like her with things that I PAID for. She said I copy  botted her which is untrue I don't even know what that means. If she reports me Linden Labs will look at my credit card payments and I won't get in trouble right? She's saying I didn't buy those things but I did. 

You did nothing that violates the TOS.  As others have stated, copybot is stealing stealing (illegally copying) other peoples content.

And if she did report you I think "she dressed like me" would raise some eyebrows when reviewed.

But it does raise an interesting point.  Many people work hard on their looks and like to see themselves as being unique.  So I can see someone getting upset with someone who has intentionally "twinned" them and looks like them.

Worked hard? At buying things? I think not. Unless someone created the look 100% all by themselves, including creating the skin, shape, hair, clothing and any other items included, they did not work hard at it, lol. Others worked hard for them, so they could look that way.

People who get butthurt over others looking like them crack me up. Especially those who really make a big deal about it. If nothing else, they provide free entertainment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


PinknBlonde wrote:

Thanks guys, I told her I don't know what it is and she cursed at me and threatened me. Some crazies out there
:|

I think that the general advice you will get here is to just ignore / walk away from people like this.

I will say that 'threatening' another person could be AR'able depending on the nature of the threat. However we HIGHLY recommend avoiding shoving matches.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


ImaTest wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:


PinknBlonde wrote:

Ok I'll be honest- this girl had an outfit I liked so I bought some lindens with my credit card and dressed like her with things that I PAID for. She said I copy  botted her which is untrue I don't even know what that means. If she reports me Linden Labs will look at my credit card payments and I won't get in trouble right? She's saying I didn't buy those things but I did. 

You did nothing that violates the TOS.  As others have stated, copybot is stealing stealing (illegally copying) other peoples content.

And if she did report you I think "she dressed like me" would raise some eyebrows when reviewed.

But it does raise an interesting point.  Many people work hard on their looks and like to see themselves as being unique.  So I can see someone getting upset with someone who has intentionally "twinned" them and looks like them.

Worked hard? At buying things? I think not. Unless someone created the look 100% all by themselves, including creating the skin, shape, hair, clothing and any other items included, they did not work hard at it, lol. Others worked hard for them, so they could look that way.

People who get butthurt over others looking like them crack me up. Especially those who really make a big deal about it. If nothing else, they provide free entertainment.

 

Perhaps it would have been better if I had said that they invest many hours in their look.

The self perception may be "I worked hard on this."

Many a self proclaimed hard worker has been shocked to find out that they weren't after meeting someone who could work circles around them.

This city boy thought he was a hard worker until he spent a summer on a farm.

Now I know what hard work is and I avoid it like the plague.  ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


PinknBlonde wrote:

Thanks guys, I told her I don't know what it is and she cursed at me and threatened me. Some crazies out there
:|

Welcome to SL.

Weird stuff happens here, for no reason, some times.

Pass the tea, and do have a merry unbirthday.

- Cause its like that around here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a place, like no place on earth, which some say in order to survive it, you maust be mad, mad as a Hatter..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah your OK.. Some people don't like their looks being copied in anyway  but as for her reporting you. She can but nothing will happen .. LL will sent a receipt  to you by email explaining your Linden purchase. So just let her talk on  :D

 

 

Good luck to you my friend :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She may have been upset, because a REAL copybot can suddenly appear in sight of you - and is now wearing the exact same things you are.  I've seen it happen, where an avi, who has been doing nothing in particular, will rapidly turn into a twin of another in the area - and they have no connection.  I guess my 'fashion sense' isn't good enough to copy  :matte-motes-smile:

But if you bought stuff, and wore it later, you may be a copycat - but certainly NOT a copybot.  Don't worry about it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0