Textures slow to load on revolving texture prim

Rutherford Beresford

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have four textures I want to alternate on side #4 of a prim... basically displaying the first texture for a second or so and moving to #2, then #3, and then #4, and then back to #1 over and over.  I basically just set up a script to do LLSetTexture using the UUID of the four textures and have them stacked one after the other in the script.  I tried to cut down "processing" resources as much as possible.  Initially, the textures take a minute or two to load, so I see a solid grey texture repeating over and over.  Eventually, all textures rez and they all display properly.  Then, after a little while, I get random gray "rezzing" textures again.

Is there some way to pre-load the textures or is there some better way of doing what I'm trying to do, or is this just something I have to put up with in SIMs that can be somewhat laggy?

Thank you!

Ford

One of the first LSL scripting challenges I tried years ago was a modification of the old Pre-Loading Slide Viewer that has since disappeared from the LSL wiki library.  I have changed it so many times since then that it only vaguely resembles the original.  I'll try to remember to post it here later today when I can get in world to grab a copy from my inventory.  Basically, though, it rotates each slide from its inventory from one blackened face of a cube to another until it finally appears on the one  face you have left un-blackened. By that time, it has been fully pre-loaded, so that it rezzes in perfect clarity.

I'm surprised to find that there's no copy of Sendao Goodman's original preloading slide viewer in the usual public script libraries in SL.  At least I couldn't find one today, so I have posted my own version of it in the LSL Scripting Library, here in the forums >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Library/Preloading-Slide-Viewer/td-p/1723417

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.