How important is home security to renters?

DonnyGates

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

DonnyGates wrote:

What other reasons might there be as to why my super dope samurai huts aren't renting?

"super dope samurai"

only people who into this are younger people. if they got money then they rather spend on their character

most who do rent homes in SL are older and dont really much go for gamer type homes

is a few but hardly any

I disagree that there is no rental market in SL.  There are hundreds of places that rent.  It may not be in as high demand as it was a few years  back, but land in general isn't either, due to the RL economy.

To answer your question, I think security is important to a lot of renters.  I have always offered a security system with my rentals and let the tenant decide if they wanted to use it or not.  The presence of a security system will not drive a potential renter away if they don't want to use one, but a lack of one will drive a potential tenant away that wants one.

Other reasons why your huts aren't renting?  Everyone has different tastes and while you may find them appealing others may not.  Since they are on a themed RP sim your market is also limited to those who want to be around zombies and samurai fighting each other, which appeals to only a few. 

Maybe they are priced to high, Are they furnished already?  If not, how many prims do you get with them?  Enough to furnish them with a few basics?  What is your competition?  In that price range you can get a much larger skybox with security and a TV, furnished with a nice animated double bed, a sofa and table, with rugs etc.  The tenant can choose the color and style of the interior and the view out their windows.

Syo Emerald wrote:

I think a picture would help. I can't really imagine what the huts are like.

They're super dope. and SAMURAI !!! :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Yeah - OP might be in the wrong age bracket to be in SL. ;)

I strongly suspect that if 'super dope' is a part of your 'way of seeing the world' you are not going to do well in SL.

There are Japanese themed sims though. Even a very large population of actual Japanese players, who are not even ninjas or robots too - but actual, you know... normal folks. Not so much, super dope folks.

But... the rental market is dead.

Yes there are a -LOT- of rentals in SL.

Now good look at occupancy rates for them.

Its kind of like how you can find land all over SL priced at 10L/m. Now go look at how fast its selling. :P

Now if the OPer was just trying to be forum clever... and has actual quality builds... still, land market and rental market both are kinda dead - and see my comments about who is able to overcome that above. But yes, people kind of like having some security. But this alone is not likely the reason for lack of product moving.

I do not need a hut, nor do I find security important. How a sim and homes look, yes, that is. To me.

Is this the sim incl huts you are speaking of? I may go have a look inworld, as perhaps the images dont do it justice..but to be honest, no it just does not look attractive. At all.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Art-Music-and-Photography/Dope-Samurai-Pictures/m-p/1721033#M3395

Oh the rental market is far from dead. When I have open parcels (which doesn't happen often,) it's rare they are open more than a few days. I do have fantastic renters though. Yes, there is a LOT of inventory, but a lot of it is trash-filled mainland, run by landlords with no "building codes" or behavior standards, and poor customer service. Many private sim lots are also rented at inflated prices which doesn't help the landowners any either. If you have attractive communities, good customer service, good policies, and good prices, you won't stay empty. Fixing the mainland issues is a whole different topic :)

Exactly. Took a look at the permissions, a renter could not even use the hut, as the banlines are set to group access, but no group has been set on the land/access.
Then build is switched off, so it is not even possible to rez something, e.g. unpacking a boxed item.
In other words, as it is now, the whole thing is completely unusable.
Autoreturn is off, paired with 'Object Entry' and 'Run Scripts' set to Group, in addition to banlines makes it a litter magnet.

@Donny Gates:
My advice: Banlines off. (A renter wants to have visitors, banlines also devalue this and the surrounding properties.)
'Build' set to 'Group', (Renters want to put stuff in their huts/houses.)
'Object Entry' to 'Everyone', (Prevents separation of a vehicle and its driver/pilot.)
'Run Scripts' to 'Everyone',  (Allows cleanup scripts in a vehicle to work properly.)
Autoreturn to a number between 10 and 30 minutes. (Gets rid of foreign objects & griefer devices. And foreign junk pushed in by scripts.)
Restrict security devices to the inner walls/roof of the huts.

And the Land must be set to a Group to get the Permissions/Options to work.
A word about the price: L$150,- for 25 prims is a bit steep. It may work with some vendor cubicles in a mall, but for a residential area, that prim allowance is way too low. 80 to 100 prims for L$150,- sounds more reasonable to me.
Especially as there is almost no furniture is provided. A cheap motel offers more creature comfort.

In the world of groups I have low competition. However I dont know outside of groups. Ive tested the other Zombie games out there and mines above average.

Stats of my swagged out huts:

Extra 25 prims

Fully Furnished (For being a hut): Place to put items collected, shoji screen, bed, Hokusai inspired art.

120 to 150L a week

I'm also offering a community to be a part of which sky boxes do not

I need only 10 renters. Do you think this is do able?

PussyC,

On the contraire I think im in the perfect age to be using SL :matte-motes-wink:

Im using this as a way to simulate real world buisness while Im going to school for buisness #RLgoalsSLmeans

Also at the moment its unusable because I just added another parcel. Im fixing all that shortly. Regardless tho these posts were very helpful, it explains why invisible X-wings have been showing up all over my land haha

Thank u all, customer service and community building is my #1 so ill be sure to update when its all functioning as it should be.

DonnyGates wrote:

In the world of groups I have low competition. However I dont know outside of groups. Ive tested the other Zombie games out there and mines above average.

Stats of my swagged out huts:

Extra 25 prims

Fully Furnished (For being a hut): Place to put items collected, shoji screen, bed, Hokusai inspired art.

120 to 150L a week

I'm also offering a community to be a part of which sky boxes do not

I need only 10 renters. Do you think this is do able?

I was able to track down some pics of your huts and offer this advice and constructive criticism based on my long experience as both a landlord and renter.

People in SL rent a home because they want a place to retreat, relax and associate privately with others, not because they want to participate in the roleplay, which I assume they can without renting. Even if they want to stay IC all the time there are much nicer Japanese homes available which are your competition.  If they only want to stay IC while roleplaying and be OCC when not, then all the rentals in SL are your competition.

These huts are way too small and poorly furnished to qualify as a home. They look cramped which and makes it difficult to get good camera angles, and have no windows that I saw.  Even skyboxes you see without real windows generally have them inside with a 'view' that is a picture of a landscape to give the illusion of a window.  So if you don't want to put in windows at least do that.

There is no place to sit in them, let alone sit with a few friends.  A small single bed is useless other than a prop.  Put in a double bed with at least a few cuddle animations.  A place to put stuff is not needed because with the low amount of prims you are offering people will keep things in their inventory other than a few things to make the place homey or to display things.  The amount of prims you offer barely is enough to rez out just a few things temporarily mainly for unpacking or looking at something briefly.

Since i am not into the kind of roleplay you offer and have no experience with the kind of player that is, you may have a few people rent the huts, but I suspect that you will have a high turnover and a lot of vacancies too unless you make some improvements.

• 1 month later...

I would insist on security, if I don't have that as an option, I am not going to rent.

Also, that is too high for 25 Prims, I pay 50L/wk for 20 prims in a partially furnished skybox (double bed plus lounge suite with about 4 places for sitting).   

Ofc, I am not into RP, and enjoy the privacy a skybox offers, so yeah.

CB

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.