Hardwork got me 30 views. Funny banter got me 185.

DonnyGates

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I worked hard to build a beatiful and fun place no one had an interest in. I said have an interest. They said no u cant make me have an interest if I dont want to have an interest. I said true.

Smh. tristan tristan tristan...

Anyhow my point is people like watching trolls troll more than Second Life itself. I dont like that. People should play for fun. Not to exchange insults.My Group is called Zombie Samurai: Dead War Extreme but this post isnt to promote my group. Its a rain check. Whats the Second Life community coming to if it can't even play a game? Do you agree that Second Life is getting smaller? by small I mean the way in which it operates :matte-motes-stress:

We need more :heart: Second Life!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want people through your sim and  people to enjoy your work well believe me you are not alone. The core problem is a function of marketing, you need to create a product that people want.

Here is a for instance. Do an inworld search for star wars. Go and look at the many sims and beautiful builds that are mostly empty and think why is this happening. Its happening because of Star Wars: The Old Republic people have moved on and except for a few die hards it will stay that way.

If you want your project to succeed you need to get up and go get them. Dress yourself up and go to a few chat sims or hubs, show off your skills, make friends, be active, take out ads in the classifieds, uses the feeds. There has to be a drive behind it for it to succeed good luck Donny :smileyhappy:

i was reading your thread that got pulled about being accused of being a spammer, in reality, there is almost no difference between advertisement and spam, if im watching a TV show and a commercial comes up, it is unsolicited information so it must be spam, if im driving and i see some billboard advertising a product, is unsolicited and the purpose of it is mass awareness of the product or service so it must be spam too, if i see a banner in a website is spam too, because is unsolicited information distributed massively.

dont feel bad if you are being accused of spam, its a way to recognize that you are working hard on advertisement.

In modern advertising there -IS- a difference between advertising and spam.

Consider 2 emails in your hypothetical inbox.

Message: We have more of that stuff you like and asked to hear about.

- First one is spam. Second is targetted advertising based on what you've asked to be informed over.

Why do we not see a Billboard as spam? Well some do, but others argue your personal space was not invaded by it being there.

The TV commercial... not personalized, so not seen as spam traditionally. They don't know who's watching. But these things are all changing (if you have cable, they do know who's watching). And society is rapidly changing opinion and not tolerating these ads anymore (DVR anyone?).

i understand the difference between communication with strangers and communication you expect from people you know, but there has to be a starting point in communication, how would you know if the person dont want to talk with you if you dont ask first? at least say "hi".

i would say that he was being harmful if after i rejected his offer he would insist that i reconsider my position, that would be some kind of commercial harrasment, but he didnt pressure anybody to buy his products or services, he didnt even sold you anything, he was just inviting people to play a game he made.

it may be against the TOS but its unfair.

It isn't unfair. If this wasn't against the TOS what do you think would happen? We would lok in each day to 50+ messages sent by random strangers inviting us to check out their stuff. We'd get ton's of IM's in world as well.

What I would  like to see would be a forum section where each creator can post about their new products. This way people can choose to look without having to be prompted to do so.

You raise some good and valid points. I tire regularly of the '...it's against TOS!!!' ranters. As if LL is the wise old man in the cave, as opposed to a corporation with questionable customer service. TOS is for one thing and one thing only, to reduce any legal entanglements LL could get into, and to cover these where possible. That's it. TOS is not for the greater good of the average resident, by and large, although this is not to say that TOS is a bad thing; rules/guidance are needed, and for the most part, the TOS is quite sensible and reasonable. However, the discrepancy between spam and advertsing is, indeed, a grey one. The problem arises when some seem to get an easier ride, for various reasons, from LL with TOS. The classic, imo, being gambling. There are certain devices in LL that appear to be out and out gambling machines. However, certain individuals manage to - coughs - convince LL they are 'games of skill, whereas others with devices of equal 'chance' appear to fall foul of the TOS. As for the OP's group or sim. Zombie Samurai has a certain ring to it, don't cha think? :o) I may just go check it out.

Gah, teach me on how to properly quote someone, please? I never could figure it out >.<

And why on earth was that pulled? I did enjoy the ad section on the IMVU forums, I found so much lovely stuff there, and did use it to advertise my own products.

Most merchants had a neat little thread where they kept all their stuff, a new post would bump the thread up to get peoples attention that something new came out. A lot of people commented, gave con crit, encouragement and generally it was a pleasant sort of hangout and gave you the warm fuzzies to know people came to it because they were interested and were thoughtful and impressed enough to comment!

It wasn't even spammed back then, sure some people made a new thread for every new product but that was the minority and quite frowned upon by the users.

I miss that direly here as I feel I am overlooking a lot of up and coming creators who rock :(

We used to have a Classifieds forum years ago that allowed commenting. This unfortunately was not only trolled, but blatantly abused in the sense of bullying.

I, along with others, complained to the powers that be that the behavior needed to be curbed even if it meant shutting off commenting, which it eventually did.

The problem I see ( and have seen through the years on SL forums) is that these forums are here like any other for people to communicate information and ideas yet too many want to 'Game' it and it becomes disruptive in the end.

To the OP, I think you can do anything regardless with enough tenacity and determination and either way you're  going to make fans and haters along the way. It's that way with anything. But don't  get ever discouraged.

iCade wrote:

Gah, teach me on how to properly quote someone, please? I never could figure it out >.<

To quote someone, press reply on the post of theirs that you want to quote, then at the top right there is a Quote button.

That will copy their post into yours and format it into italics and place it between two dividing horizontal lines. You can then edit their quote to keep only the relevant parts. If you mess up, you can hit CTRL Z. If you have some HTML experience, you can use the HTML Tab, next to the Rich Text Tab at the top left.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

..., if im watching a TV show and a commercial comes up, it is unsolicited information so it must be spam, if im driving and i see some billboard advertising a product, is unsolicited and the purpose of it is mass awareness of the product or service so it must be spam too, if i see a banner in a website is spam too, because is unsolicited information distributed massively.

Spam is Junk mail whether it comes via email, private message or IM. If I get messages in IM, an inventory item, or in a group notice that has nothing to do with the purpose of the group, and the messages promote a business or product of any sort AND I did not subscribe to get it, it is spam, Period. The person that sends it is muted and I will not patronize them.  I do not differentiate between mass sending via a server or someone contacting me personally. 

If I see TV I expect commercials as they pay for the programs, I am not forced to deal with billboards when I am driving,  I can ignore these.

If you want to advertise take out a classified, rent an ad board, sponsor a show or club event, put a banner ad on the marketplace, or an ad on a blog or other forums, make a video to show on SL TV or YouTube.  There are plenty of ways to advertise legitimately.  The problem most spammers have with them is that you have to pay where spamming in SL is free to them  However spam is NOT free to me.  Spam jams up my inbox or caps my IM"s so I don't get IM's I want to get and I have to spend time deleting it and dealing with missed messages that were important.  This is the problem with spam and it should not be allowed period.  The ones you get via a server that you have to 'un subscribe' to stop them and  that you never subscribed to to begin with are particularly annoying and I will AR them for spamming every time, as it takes up time to deal with.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

i understand the difference between communication with strangers and communication you expect from people you know, but there has to be a starting point in communication, how would you know if the person dont want to talk with you if you dont ask first? at least say "hi".

They join a group for 'people looking to rent homes'. They see your listing in search or marketplace, drop by, and click on something asking to be informed: They subscribe to your thingy.

Outside of SL, I can target my ads to you based on your search history - thanks to google - and don't need to know who you are. I don't have to ever invade your privacy, but if you are my likely customer you will know I am out there and be able to find me.

Inside of SL you have marketplace and classified and search. You -DO NOT- have spam, as a right. Use it, and get AR'd out of SL.

iCade wrote:

And why on earth was that pulled? I did enjoy the ad section on the IMVU forums, I found so much lovely stuff there, and did use it to advertise my own products.

Most merchants had a neat little thread where they kept all their stuff, a new post would bump the thread up to get peoples attention that something new came out. 

LL, in M's last days, was trying to monetize all forms of communication between merchants and buyers within SL. A forum for merchants to post new products was, so the merchants felt, percieved as getting in the way of forcing them to buy classifieds.

But around this same time period 'new improved search' came out that was essentially broken beyond use, greatly lowering the value of buying Classifieds.

- While present search is possibly better now than its ever been in SL's history, nothing is listed in it anymore as content sellers have long since moved on. LLs took too long to fix the broken search.

But they still seem to not want to provide a products announcement forum. I suspect they wrongly believe it will compete with marketplace comissions...

i hope he didnt get permabanned for that. he was an unexperienced user trying to use the resources available to invite people to play his Zombie Samurai game. he wasnt harmful. harmful were the spammers we had that offered a link to a website full of viruses that could compromise the security of your computer and your personal life, he was just sharing the fun of a game. i hope he comes back soon and try alternative methods of awareness now that he realize that not all methods of communication are allowed for inviting people to have fun.

Most likely he got a 24 hour forum ban, atmost a 72 hour ban.
Permaban you really have to misbehave

Using the resources available is not mass PM`ing forum users.
Personally i hate every game in sl that is not a simple card game to play with a few other people, if i wanted to shoot stuff, i`ll startup ME3 and kill a hoard of zombie husks, oversized witches that constantly whine and super macho`s that think stomping people is fun
He should have done some research and joined the dozen zombie groups to make his game known, did he actually think he`d have 10,000 users in 3 days? lol

Spam, report, temp ban & that`s it

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.