Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Conaletta

Best viewer for RLV ?

35 posts in this topic

A while ago I went to an old Sim I used to be on, which unfortunately changed a bit much for my taste...but that's not the issue (yes, this was on one of my older avs) and everything looked weird because the current scripts running in some places are different from the RLV viewer I was using.

So someone reccomended Phoenix to me, or Firebird (but that's for SL v 2) (I think it is called),

so I downloaded and installed Phoenix since it is like SL viewer 1 (I can't work with viewer 2, I don't understand a thing about it).

I must say that so far I really like Phoenix viewer and that it was a huge improvement.

However, I've read that Phoenix viewer might not work so good with RLV anymore, that it is outdated.

My question is, are there better SL viewer 1 clone-like viewers which are better than Phoenix and keep RLV

updated ?

Which one would you reccomend, and why ?

Conaletta wrote:

A while ago I went to an old Sim I used to be on, which unfortunately changed a bit much for my taste...but that's not the issue (yes, this was on one of my older avs) and everything looked weird because the current scripts running in some places are different from the RLV viewer I was using.

So someone reccomended Phoenix to me, or Firebird (but that's for SL v 2) (I think it is called),

so I downloaded and installed Phoenix since it is like SL viewer 1 (I can't work with viewer 2, I don't understand a thing about it).

I must say that so far I really like Phoenix viewer and that it was a huge improvement.

However, I've read that Phoenix viewer might not work so good with RLV anymore, that it is outdated.

My question is, are there better SL viewer 1 clone-like viewers which are better than Phoenix and keep RLV

updated ?

Which one would you reccomend, and why ?

Firestorm is a better viewer for RLV and is easy to modify to get it to look more like V1. Give it a try. I promise you will like it. 

Conaletta wrote:

There are a number of video tutorials available that cover the basics of Firestorm that really do not take that long to watch.

I use FS in hybrid mode which is close to the Phoenix layout.

Sure there was a small learning curve at the beginning, but in the long run it has saved me more time than I lost learning it.

Thanks, I might look into that.

Keep the suggestions coming.

I saw other viewers being mentioned, but I forgot their names.

I'm trying out Singularity now, but I can't view my character from the front while moving.

Any idea how to fix this, if possible ?

Conaletta wrote:

I'm trying out Singularity now, but I can't view my character from the front while moving.

Any idea how to fix this, if possible ?

If I remember correctly you have to use the camera controls to view from the front, but on Singularity, you can't see mesh. I don't however think you can walk and view your avie. I think that's only on firestorm, but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone who has used that viewer recently can tell you more. 

Yeah, it did kind of work on Phoenix...not sure about walking, but with jumping it did.

(In response to the Firestorm part).

Heart Brimmer wrote:

If I remember correctly you have to use the camera controls to view from the front, but on Singularity, you can't see mesh. I don't however think you can walk and view your avie. I think that's only on firestorm, but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone who has used that viewer recently can tell you more. 

Singularity works fine with mesh.

The camera from front toggle is really a v2/v3 feature, but lots of scripted gadgets have made custom camera arrangements available for years.

Hm...no sorry, can't say I like Firestorm it is too much like Viewer 2,

and I can't see anything that makes it more like Phoenix.

It also has a non closeable chat box which makes that I can't use my WASD to walk.

Oh Cool VL has seperate tags for chat, IM, friends and groups...I like that.

Conaletta wrote:

It also has a non closeable chat box which makes that I can't use my WASD to walk.

Firestorm does allow WASD for movement, found in Viewer>Preferences>General, top right you will see a box, in it you will see a radio button "Pressing letter keys:" click "Affects movement (i.e. WASD)"

Firestorm is perfect for me, has the cleanest interface and rarely interferes with my interaction. Its a personal preference, I only use Singularity when FS doesn't work (twice so far).

Matter of Interest there is one text viewer that supports RLV, metabolt, but you need a plugin I think.

Thanks, I will check that out.

But if I can't change it to look like Phoenix or SL v1 then it won't be the viewer for me.

I'll look into it again...I might have missed something.

Thanks.

Just that first sentence in the link was enough :womanlol:

Never thought of looking there.

Yep, I'm sticking with Firestorm in Phoenix mode.:smileyhappy:

• The look and feel of v1.
  • Ability to set the camera front, side and rear.
  • Has avatar physics.
  • Most stuff resses smooth and fast.

Hm...not sure I'm so happy with Firestorm.  :womansad:

I encountered a couple of problems.

First of all, it doesn't give IMs like normal and things like Singularity viewer do, but put a very small icon in the top right,

which made that I didn't notice receiving IMs until about hours later.

I guess together with the IM received message one can set in preferences that's kind of okay,

but it would have been nice to know about such an important difference.

It also says you can use the v1 style, but that doesn't work at all.

Secondly...my camera is on the ground and looking up at me whenever I move.

In SL viewer and in Singularity viewer my camera stays at whatever angle I put it.

I prefer a birds eye kind of view mostly or a horizontal view.

But no firestorm keeps going back to the ground.

I've googled this problem but all solutions given either don't work

or are about other camera troubles...this is quite annoying.

Does anyone have a solution for the camera ?

Preferably one which makes that it stays how I put it.

For your camera problems, this may help, Avatar>Camera controls

A box should appear in the top left corner (pictured below) each icon is a different camera position.

If you want a "camera chase" view. its the third from the left.

Hope that helps!

topleft.jpg

Unfortunately I already tried that, I even tried all of its functions.

The third button from the left you mention...and seem to have highlighted in your image...just puts the camera behind me,

like it usualy is, but my problem is that when I start walking my camera goes to the ground, like as if my avatar is dragging me over the floor behind her.

Unrelated question: Does anyone know if Cool VL supports avatar physics or will do so in the near future ?

Hm, well...50 Linden isn't very much...still is 50 Linden for something the normal viewer and Singularity both do for free.

In case this really is the only solution (I hope not) where in SL could I buy such a thing ?

Conaletta wrote:

Unrelated question: Does anyone know if Cool VL supports avatar physics or will do so in the near future ?

It's a long time since I've used Cool VL but I'm almost certain it does.   Easy enough to download it and find out, I suppose.