Sign in to follow this  
Qie Niangao

Who are all the newbies in Mosh?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree it's not my responsibility... and in theory, I could screw it up badly enough to hurt retention, which would be more than disappointing. The thing is, the Linden infoHubs are desperately bad places to dump a newbie, and even the Lindens have apparently given up on them. Instead, they let newbies figure out on their own how to walk through portals to other welcoming destinations, with no way to ever return to that original arrival location, although if they can figure out how to open chat history and click on a link, they can get to a (very basic) orientation island -- but then they have no simple way to get back to Adult content which they chose as their original entry portal. Instead, they're given a choice of some outdated instructions about how to open the Destination Guide in Viewer 2 (from which they might possibly navigate to something Adult), or another portal to Linden Realms.

So, for a while, I thought I'd just have a teleport kiosk to send them off to the Adult Hub... which would be better than nothing, that's for sure, and would at least correspond to their original choice of an Adult destination. I definitely will include such a kiosk, whatever else I do. The problem is that the ones who have chatted with me are so completely new that even using chat is a discovery for them. There's utterly no point in offering them a Landmark--they don't know what that is, they don't know what their Inventory is, they don't understand what's happening when a Map pops up on their screen. 

The only thing they can be trusted to know is how to move their avatar because somehow they managed to get through the portal marked "Adult" -- but LL nerfed llTeleportAgent() so I can't make a similar portal to route them somewhere else.

Indeed I may be making things too complicated for myself, but I really think retention would be better if some basic instruction were available right there as an option for those who need it. 

Qie Niangao wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree it's not my responsibility... and in theory, I could screw it up badly enough to
hurt
retention, which would be more than disappointing. The thing is, the Linden
infoHubs
 are desperately bad places to dump a newbie, and even the Lindens have apparently given up on them. Instead, they let newbies figure out on their own how to walk through portals to other welcoming destinations, with no way to ever return to that original arrival location, although if they can figure out how to open chat history and click on a link, they can get to a (
very
basic) orientation island -- but then they have no simple way to get back to Adult content which they chose as their original entry portal. Instead, they're given a choice of some outdated instructions about how to open the Destination Guide
in Viewer 2
(from which they might possibly navigate to something Adult), or another portal to Linden Realms.

So, for a while, I thought I'd just have a teleport kiosk to send them off to the Adult Hub... which would be better than nothing, that's for sure, and would at least correspond to their original choice of an Adult destination. I definitely will include such a kiosk, whatever else I do. The problem is that the ones who have chatted with me are so completely new that even using chat is a discovery for them. There's utterly no point in offering them a Landmark--they don't know what that is, they don't know what their Inventory is, they don't understand what's happening when a Map pops up on their screen. 

The only thing they can be trusted to know is how to move their avatar because somehow they managed to get through the portal marked "Adult" -- but 
LL nerfed llTeleportAgent() so I can't make a similar portal to route them somewhere else.

Indeed I may be making things too complicated for myself, but I really think retention would be better if some basic instruction were available right there as an option for those who need it. 

Again..I totally agree with you. With them being so new, a welcome booth with a sign that says "put your pointer here first and click";  then the teleport with a sign that says "Now put your pointer here, right click and choose teleport" would be just what they need....:matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

yes you most likely right about Mosh not being a actual Infohub

i was just going off what i remember when Zindra was first made. Blondin Linden had the official opening there. was quite a hive of people used to go there. in the mall. for a time. not anymore

+

i always thought linden was going to make the mall into a adult shopping like Luna. dunno why they didnt

could maybe work something out with the other Adult providers and redirect them. like while they coming then the other providers be happy to do a rental from you

LM giver or something

+

about the LMs. i find that most newbies can work them out if the LM name is a description about what is there rather than a parcel name title

like on my helpy ones i have things like

Men (free clothes)

Ladies (free hair clothes shoes)

Ajuda Secondlife Brasil

+

these ones send them to

Noob Island

Free Dove

and Inside Me sim 

+

i pretty much do this with all my LMs i give

like other example

Learn how to build and make stuff at Builder Brewery

same with particles or scripts then i make simliar for other places

16 wrote:

i always thought linden was going to make the mall into a adult shopping like Luna. dunno why they didnt

/me remembers endless arguments at Blondin's Zindra office hours about that.... whimpers quietly.....

Innula Zenovka wrote:

16 wrote:

/me remembers endless arguments at Blondin's Zindra office hours about that.... whimpers quietly.....

lol never went to any of them meetings. just read about them. sounds like fun. or not maybe. same like lots other office hours jejejejee (:

+

dunno why linden never made more shoppy stuff at infohubs. like a the korea sims. is 4 whole sims of empty buildings. same at Zebrasil. is heaps of empty huts doing nothing. same Helfell and Barbarossa and on and on

lots of newbies go in the buildings to have a look to see what is. big fat nothing. can see their little heads wobble as they go wut wut !!!

seems real waste to me not to put stuff in them

+

seems also that linden give up bc people complain that if is not them in those kinds of shops then no one else can have them either. is short sighted that i think

more newbies engaged straight away then more will stay. so end up more for everyone

somehow in SL lots of people who sell stuff think is about lining up. like for gas or something. that the petrol is going to run out before they get to the pump

thing is tho i think. is the newbies who are lining up for petrol not the sellers. if the newbies run out of petrol at the start then they not going anywhere except go home. like home not in SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.