Sign in to follow this  
Qie Niangao

Who are all the newbies in Mosh?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First, a disclaimer: I own the parcels at the center of the Mosh sim. I put a build there, but it's empty, except for a giver of the nPose free open source multi-animation scripts. The point is, this isn't to attract people to my property there... almost the opposite, in fact.

What has me puzzled is that there's a steady trickle of brand-spanking new avatars landing in the very middle of LDPW's huge "Port of Kama City" build. I see them almost every time I visit the site. It's great to see newbies come to SL, but there's just nothing and nobody there to welcome and introduce them to Second Life.

They arrive in a nice build and all, but it's mostly vacant, with a few empty real estate offices. And across the river, there's that vast white elephant of Mosh South, always empty. And my empty build isn't doing anything to help, either.

I thought the plan was to send new arrivals with Adult interests to the Adult Hub. I hope that's happening--it seems to be well set-up to greet new arrivals, the few times I went there. So, who are these people in Mosh?

I tried to engage some in chat. Mostly there's no response (but I'm not set up for voice, so that may be part of it), but the few with whom I've chatted seem to have no idea how they washed up in Mosh. I've tried to help them get at least some start in SL, but this really isn't my strong suit.

Probably I should consider them a sort of windfall and make the most of it as an opportunity. I'd be happy if my build there were actually useful for something like that. But it does seem like reinventing the wheel.

So does anybody know how they're getting there? And any suggestions what to do about it?

Some unproven theories:

If your sim crashes while you're on A land - you get routed to an A infohub. Likewise if you try to log into an A rated sim that is offline.

The Adult Hub -is- getting a steady flow of folks everytime I've passed by. But its also almost conatantly full - so I suspect people get rerouted from it to 'random A infohub' a lot.

Plus, any visit to any active location on Zindra with "certain keywords" will reveal a -lot- of under a week or so newbies.

As to whether or not people are landing there on initial login - I don't know. I suggest camping the adult hub for a bit and seeing how it compares - with the caveat that by so doing you risk filling it up and causing people to re-route...

There are now several A hubs across Zindra BTW, and they all appear to be constantly full. One is a few sims from my land, but it is not always the one I land in when my sim resets.

Well, just to clarify, by "Adult Hub" I actually meant that private island cluster, not the Linden infohubs, but if I understand, you're suggesting that new folks might get routed to those infohubs if the other sim is full.

The thing is, Mosh isn't an infohub; the one nearby is on the border of Gilda and Oritz. In theory, Mosh could be an infohub except that most of the sim is privately owned. Maybe they're routing traffic to Mosh anyway because those adult infohubs themselves are busy.

(Incidentally, it's not that Mosh is being overrun by a flood of newbies; it's only a trickle. Still, I hate for them to start out there, with nobody to help and nothing much to do.)

As a member of the Adult Hub staff, I can tell you without you camping (most welcome to) it averages at about 3 newbie AVs landing their at central an hour during my times. Also depends on time of week, time of month etc. Sometimes way more and sometimes almost nobody.

If you have any more questions or thoughts, they have recently launched a forum, find it here :

http://www.freedomcontinent.eu/

Thanks, Leia. Yeah, I popped in briefly very early this morning, just after I found another uncommunicative newbie in the middle of the Port of Kama City build.  She was trying on different avatars, so I'm guessing she really was brand new to SL. Anyway, the Adult Hub had maybe a half dozen people in the sim at the time (it was far from prime time), and the Gilda/Oritz infohub had maybe ten, so it certainly wasn't overflow that was sending newbies to Mosh.

If I understood what was going on, and whether it was intentional, I suppose I could set up some kind of welcome station that offered teleports to the Adult Hub from my build, which would be better than nothing.

Maybe I'll create a fresh alt to see if he can figure out what circumstances might drop him off in Mosh.

Yes perhaps it would be a good idea to investigate further, I am pretty sure that the management at Freedom Continent would be happy to help.

I tried with one new account and walking through the "adult portal" sent me to Adult Hub SEX which had 7 or 8 avatars on it. At the time, there were about 17 avatars on the central Adult Hub.

I have a feeling it could take a lot of new accounts to empirically determine what the distribution algorithm is, and whether it really includes Mosh or if there's something altogether else going on here.

As long as I had a fresh account, I tried to use the back-arrow navigation button to get back to Welcome Island, which (unsurprisingly) doesn't work, but it suggested I go to one of the Welcome Island Public sims to complete the tutorial--with no hint how to get there. So I found one on the Map and TP'd in, and was presented with a choice of Linden Realms portal or tutorial. I zipped through the tutorial (which is very basic but not bad) to the end where I was again presented with a Linden Realms portal and a big sign about how to use the Destination Guide to find places to visit. Unfortunately, that sign didn't offer a URL for the web version of the DG, only screenshots for "BASIC MODE" (now defunct) and "ADVANCED MODE"--based on the viewer 2 sidebar that nobody has anymore.

I don't know if this is the reason, but this is what happened last time (three or four months ago)  I tried making an alt to see what happens to new people interested in Adult Content.  

She found herself in an area with several Linden Realms-style portalts, each labelled with a category from the destination guide.   She walked into the Adult one and found herself in the arrivals area for a CARP sim from the DG that, rather unfortunately, wouldn't allow anyone less than 14 days old into the sim itself.

I raised this at the time with the Communities Team, so maybe they've changed the way the portals work.   I know when the Adult Hub was set up, the idea was that it would be sent a proportion of new people who expressed an interest in Adult Content and others would be directed elsewhere, which is sensible but central Mosh maybe isn't the best place.

If we still had ACUG meetings, this would be a good topic to raise, I guess.   In the meantime, maybe emailing LL to ask what's happening might be an idea.

Which is something that has been brought up by the management with LL directly, however I am not privy to those discussions. It must be disconcerting to some new people, whose understanding of the term 'Adult' may be far removed from LL's, to find themselves in the Sex, Gor or BDSM hubs as the first place that they land in SL.

And yes, for myself, when I first started I had the luck of finding a mentor and helper (who I subsequently married *smiles) to help me through the initial learning curve. I am a firm believer in a one on one kind of help that is provided by most help centers. Some people just need to be told a different way for them to understand, that's why I believe that while the tutorials are helpful, nothing beats a good mentor.

Further adventures of newbie "Middlemosh":

Tried to login again, having ended my previous session in a Linden Realms sim (which did indeed have another fresh newbie stuck in some improbable pose in Tyrah's workshop). It couldn't connect to a simulator initially (too early for rolling restarts), and on the second try it dropped me--invisible and unable to move nor chat--in the ocean at Arapaima (10, 10, 10) -- that's the original Adult "safe hub" on Zindra.

Immediately got:

Fanny (fanny.criadic) has offered to teleport you to their location:“LONDON CITY- Most popular destination in SL” - Moderate

:matte-motes-sour: I don't think there should be any problem naming names here, inasmuch as the "resident" in question self-identifies in her profile as a "registered scripted agent" -- which presumably explains why she has time to spam teleport offers to newbies arriving at the safe hub.

That was followed by an IM,

Faster Walk: take one free: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Faster-Walk/3617275

from an object owned by a month-old resident who probably had no idea her stuff was spamming.

Tried again to return to Welcome Island from the Map, this time with the Admin menu enabled as an experiment, but it denied access anyway, thwarting further data collection.

Oh I see I had Mosh confused with the infohub right next to it.

Well, then my theory doesn't quite work - unless someplace at Mosh has hit the new user destination list. Been a long time since I made an alt and checked. If I recall right they just land in a room now, and the destination guide pops open for them based on which of a series of signs they click...

One of those might be feeding into a spot in Mosh. /shrug.

They've been getting sent to useless locations for about a year now... More often than not, they land in a shop with a lot of pricey goods, no tips or help, and no freebies...

Odd. Most of the replies in this thread did not show for me until -after- I posted this reply. Looks like you've figured out a good bit of what's going on. The mess for newbies is worse than its ever been...

- Because LLs didn't get steller data out of what we used to have, they've taken the foolish path of throwing in the towel and having -no- plan...

Yeah, I found a Mosh newbie who spoke English and indeed it seems that Mosh must just be one of the places in the "adult portal" script rotation, along with the Adult Hub. I guess it could be worse... but now I feel a bit obliged to try to help out those new arrivals somehow. The freebies they see in the Port of Kama City are all the Zindra content, which can't be that useful to a newbie, and god only knows who they'll meet there.

I guess I'll try to take this on as a project. My only real worry is that I'll spend a lot of time on it, only for the sim to be removed from the rotation with no more notice than it came to be in it in the first place.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Some unproven theories:

If your sim crashes while you're on A land - you get routed to an A infohub. Likewise if you try to log into an A rated sim that is offline.

Just some further info toward your theory.  I always am sent to an A hub if the location I log into isn't avaiable. The rating of the place I was last has nothing to do with it.  I can be on a G sim that crashes and am always routed to an A hub.  This has happend since the day A hubs came into existence.  I was one of the first 'age verified' people as LL already had my RL information, including official RL ID with my DOB, for a long time prior to that because of my work in SL.  Other long term active residents I know, including my partner have had the same experience.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Some unproven theories:

Just some further info toward your theory.  I
always
am sent to an A hub if the location I log into isn't avaiable. The rating of the place I was last has nothing to do with it.  

When Adult Content ratings were introduced, Blondin Linden explained that, if your preferences are set to access Adult land, the system will always route you to an Adult infohub.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

When Adult Content ratings were introduced, Blondin Linden explained that, if your preferences are set to access Adult land, the system will always route you to an Adult infohub.

except of course it initially didn't.  I can remember my first crash relog after deployment routed me to a mature hub.  It wouldn't have been so bad except I had been in the middle of testing something decidedly adult.  hey ho ;)

As for the rest of the thread.  It is so depressing that we've still got fundamental issues with the new user experience after all these years. It's utterly disheartening that LL can't even take a little care over it, yet completely in keeping with past performance that they just do not eat their own dogfood (an old but relevant expression here - where is Ann Otoole these days?)

A few weeks back I spent some time with some kids from one of the uni's with a presence inworld and even though they'd been inworld for a good few months they didn't have a clue about a lot of things to do with actually dealing with being inworld.  As an example, they just kept getting stuck with items they didn't know how to find to detach. The hardest thing for me was they were using the LL viewer which appears to still not have the basic worn item tab.  It's a small thing but is cumulative.

I think Ann said, in another place, that she'd started a new job in RL that was going to keep her busy for a while.

As to the Worn Items, they're still there -- they're off the Appearance tab, though (the icon that looks like a little tee-shirt):  

worn items.jpg

(Screenshot from vaniLLa viewer 3.4.1)

That's actually quite a good design decision, as I understand it. See Kitty and Trinity's take on it at Why there's no worn tab in Catznip (and never will be) for why.

Thanks for the pic. Although I haven't used a LL viewer since their first v2 release so even working out how to tell them to get there is out of the question for me. They're smart kids, they'll work it out eventually.

I can see their point about load but until there's a better way it's the only way we have. I have to say I have never had anything more than a slight delay in load times when I have three or four inventory windows open, so I remain to be convinced of the arguments against a worn tab.

I don't think it's a question of the load it puts on the sim so much as the amount of memory on your computer it uses.  If you've got a decent computer (as have I, and probably as have you) it doesn't matter so much, but when you haven't got much RAM (or you're using Windows XP) it can be an issue if you're running something like Firestorm, Gimp and Google Chrome at the same time, as I recall.

up until 6 months ago I was running xp on 3gig and used to be able to run photoshop, firefox (and that's a memory hog) with around 6-10 tabs, sometimes quavimator and a couple of instances of sl..  each sl window had at least one inventory open and couldbe's usually would always have at least 2, if not more (and her inventory always hovers between 35-40k). 

photoshop and qavimator would sometimes play up but i really didn't have much of a problem with inventory load for the multiple windows (could be that the rest of the hardware was optimised enough to not add any extra strain I suppose).  Certainly I believe having multiple instances of the inventory window would generate some lag, I don't know enough about the design of the asset server and how it delivers to the inventory window to be able to guess. 

I just don't know tbh but since supposedly things like loading a large contacts list can lag your viewer, I'd believe that the inventory window with a worn tab can too.

Sure, it's runnable, but I seem to recall when I was running Firestorm (or other viewers, of course) plus Chrome plus a couple of other applications on XP and 3 gig RAM, my CPU usage used to stay dangerously close to 100% a lot of the time and, not infrequently, I'd find myself freezing for a bit when it hit 100% and my computer tried to decide what to do next.

I have to say that my sl viewers were always set to medium graphics for couldbe and low for the others (and i used to use rainbow for them as it was a lot less strain on the system). For all round sl use, going up to win7 with a plethora of ram certainly improves things.

Mosh used to be the hub for Zindra when they first made it

so maybe one of the teleporter portals at the latest WIs has a old LM in it. like you said already

cant think of any other reason really

+

unless somehow when a newbie click Home on the viewer then is some kinda db linky glitch something that tries to put them on the old Mosh landing point. which when is not there anymore puts you on 128,128 where you are?

dunno just maybe

I don't think Mosh was ever an actual infoHub. As best I can remember, there was always the island "safe hub" at Arapaima and the Gilda/Oritz infoHub on the continent proper. Since then, some copies of Arapaima were built, of which at least Nelsonia and Vilania remain. God only knows what if any plans there are for Podyan now, which seems to have been relegated to the same "let sleeping dogs lie" fate as Mosh South.

Anyway, the Mosh-bound newbies don't actually land on my parcel, but rather they end up in the middle of that LDPW "Port of Kama City" build. That might have been okay had there been any follow-up with contents there. As it is, however, it's utterly depressing. Most of the west wing was never sold, but it doesn't appear to matter because almost all the parcels that were sold are either entirely vacant or screened off, rarely anybody around except maybe the previous just-rezzed newbie still coming to the conclusion that the naysayers are correct and SL is indeed a barren wasteland.

The thing is, at least my parcel is visible from the point where these newbies rez, which is why I've been investigating what I could do to help them out, if they manage to stumble over to it. I've learned quite a bit since starting this thread, and have some ideas how to use my whole build as a kind of basic orientation center and launching point for getting the newbies to more interesting content and/or hands-on assistance.

It's pretty frustrating, though. One big deterrent is that I have no way of knowing if this flow of newbies will continue. I did get a number of helpful suggestions for which I'm grateful, and I've invested quite a bit of time and effort in learning what other welcoming destinations do (or did, or were once intended to do). Unless the newbies stop coming before I complete it, I'll eventually have some sort of basic orientation center there for any who still arrive and somehow wander northward.

I know I'm coming late to the party but I think if you just set up some kind of sign or teleport sending them back to one of the LL hubs, that should be enough. I think it's great that you're trying to set up some kind of welcome center, but it's not really your responsibility to take care of the newbies. As I said, don't get me wrong..when I was a newbie I would love to have had some direction and list of places to go and maybe a few freebies instead of relying on the kindness of strangers...but if you send them back to the hubs, there should be someone or some things there to help them.

I hope that doesn't sound mean or cruel, because that's not the way I'm trying to come off.

thanks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.