"Unable to connect to a simulator" - is Second Life "down"? Solved

Emma Krokus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is rolling restarts underway right now. You are probably surfing the roll out trying to access other regions.. Wait about 10-20 minutes and try your original location. If your original location is not back up in 30 minutes you can report an offline regions thru a support ticket

If you keep trying the downed regions without connecting to a good up region. then you can get that message for a long time.. Go to a region on the map that you know is up and then try the main region you want to access or relog

We are currently in the midst of rolling restarts:

[updated 7:00am PDT, 31 October 2012] We are currently undergoing rolling restarts for regions on the main Second Life server channel.  Please refrain from rezzing no copy objects, making inworld L$ transactions and remember to save all builds.

http://status.secondlifegrid.net/

These cover main server channels today so there could be a strong possibility you have hit regions being updated.

I keep the grid status page at the top of my book marks.  It's the first thing I check any time I am having trouble logging in.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Didn't we used to get logged in to an infohub when this happened?

For that matter, if this doesn't still work--and it doesn't for me--who are all those people at infohubs, especially on rolling-restart days?

I find this to be hit and miss and I don't understand why.  Based on how packed sometimes the info hubs get during this time period I am wondering if the info hubs  are full that is the result. 

I did a brief search to see if I could find how many hubs there are but couldn't find a quick answer.  Maybe someone has this info at their fingertips.

I'm guessing that anyone that has the ABILITY to go to adult rated areas is sent to an adult-rated infohub because the system has no idea what they were doing when they logged off last. This works when it's only an individual sim that's down but in a situation like a restart there are too many regions offline at a time for all the people logging in who have the ability to access adult content to fit into the limited number of adult "safe hubs."

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

I'm guessing that anyone that has the ABILITY to go to adult rated areas is sent to an adult-rated infohub because the system has no idea what they were doing when they logged off last. This works when it's only an individual sim that's down but in a situation like a restart there are too many regions offline at a time for all the people logging in who have the ability to access adult content to fit into the limited number of adult "safe hubs."

Probably based on your preference settings, level of content you want to access.

I do always try to remember and put my helmet back on before logging off. 

I'd hate to inadvertently scare any nOObs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.