Alienware

SLtesterL2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just a quick ques. I'm thinking about purchasing a m17x Alienware laptop not sure what the info will be buying was wondering how will SL in on it and what makes a huge impact on how smooth it runs lag and rendering wise ill be getting 2 gb of video card and 8gb of ram for sure the rest I'm not so sure

Generally Alienware are grossly overpriced and not worth the money. Specifically the laptops are not as bad as their desktop brethren and with their fancy design hard to resist. I call it the Apple factor, LOL.

So basically your Alienware lappy will run SL just fine, probably very good. There's nothing wrong with it, but you must understand that you'll have a much better experience on SL with a desktop pc in the same price range or even cheaper.

To make SL run better (on any kind of machine):

- plug in! Don't go wireless.

- don't overdo the graphics settings. High is fine, yes, shift all sliders to maximum by any means. But stay away from shadows for daily use, use shadows and DOF only for making photos.

Orca Flotta wrote:

But stay away from shadows for daily use, use shadows and DOF only for making photos.

High end computers have no problem at all with ultra settings. I had to throttle the fps because they were too high, in most places anyway. In other places turning off shadows doesn't make a real difference either from what I've experienced. On low(er) end systems the shadows have a big impact, that's very true.

@OP

That computer will run SL just fine, possibly on the highest settings. More important than a wired connection to the modem might be a wired connection for power, so your laptop doesn't go into power saving mode, which will kill your performance. If you want to spend a little extra, I'd suggest as fast a CPU you can afford. SL performance really benefits from that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.