SERIOUSLY?!?!

SLtesterL2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I was browsing through the private island section of the buying land category and it says buying land was 1k plus with an additional monthly fee off 250 dollars not lindens DOLLARS! why is it so expensive? Is this the only way I can have a private island I can call home please say no xD

I have a friend who pays for 15 full regions all interlinked, now do the math and you start to realise just how passionate she is about Second Life. That's one of the reasons why I just laugh when people tell me that SL is dead or dying.

SLtesterL2 wrote:

it is kinda dying well, limbo. its just that most players are die hard fans. only like 40k average log on.

Perhaps, I can only tell from my own perspective. One thing I am seeing lately is a sizable percentage of brand new people who stay on and are enjoying themselves. Other platforms that are similar (IMVU doesn't count IMO, its different and limited) have dismal numbers, only 400 a day for some open grids.

well said, Leia. Traffic numbers are up gridwide, new account retention seems decent.
The "SL iz ded" mythos has been going on for as long as SL has been alive, if not since before the start of the open beta.

Exactly the same happens with any single popular online environment. E.g. World of Warcraft has had the exact same people scream it is dead or dying on their forums since 2004, and those people have to pay $15 a month for the privilege of posting there...

SLtesterL2 wrote:

it is kinda dying well, limbo. its just that most players are die hard fans. only like 40k average log on.

LOL I have heard the same thing for 6+ years.  If it were true it would be long gone now.  I find this sentiment particularly odd coming from some one who joined SL just a little over 3 months ago.

SL may not have the same numbers of people some 'games' have but it has an economy greater than some third world nations.  That size economy isn't generated by only 40K people.

40k average logged on at one time may be correct but that doesn't mean there are only 40k active players.  That would be assuming that the same 40k are logged on 24/7.  The average time spent in world per day when someone logs on is four hours last I heard per LL..  So if half are only logged on for that time that means that 20k x 6 or 120K are logged on for 4 hours per day.  The total would be around 140K minimum in world per day. But that doesn't take into account that there are tons of people that only log on just a few times a week and some only once a week. so the number of active users is actually greater, if active is defined as logging in once a week or more, even taking into account alts. It oesn't take into accoun thtat the other 20 k are not logged on 24/7 either.

I keep a little item on my land that shows current users online (but its not exactly that, it updates about once every half hour or so).

(its a freebie in my inworld shop BTW, if you find it, its physical so people kick it around a lot).

Its usually in the 60-70k range. And "the needle" hasn't really moved a bit since 2009.

During some times of day though, it will drop. Early morning and late evening SL-time, it goes to 30-40K. That just says most SLers are Americans, Canadians, and Brazillians. It records a low of just over 4000. That is likely after some post crash. I -think- the entire grid has gone down about 2 times in the last year. But not sure on that.

But... in general SL is as busy as its always generlly been. What changes over time is -WHERE- people go. A hot spot today might not be tomorrow, especially if it doesn't adjust with the times.

- A -lot- of older places have gone offline, a lot of mainland has gone abandoned... but a lot of new places have come online (almost as many, but not quite). And the only reason so much abandoned mainland is for sale now is that before, it just went abandoned without going for sale.

- The SL land market -has- collapsed. But this is not -fully- due to less use of land. Its due to the abandoned land now being part of that market, due to linden homes being the cheapest way to have a plot of your own, and due to marketplace meaning there is no reason to own land now unless you want a person place, or want to socialize.

- And the merchants have always been 90% predators, 10% SL users... so many of them have no interest in actually being part of SL, just in cashing in on it...

I -do- think concurrency will start to take a hit soon... but not until a critical mass of clubs, RP sims, and art builds go under from no longer having funding sources.

- We're on the start of that trend. It will only be avoided if people can find a way to pay for tier, in a world where there is no inworld economy anymore (there isn't really... its moved outofworld to marketplace).

(So I guess I see some panic points, but not all of them.)

I do believe SL should have a way bigger fanbase. before the count was 500k but I think the surplus of accounts by merging teens an adults caused a lot of lag adding the fact SL is heavily based on graphical performance which took away a lot of ppl because their computers can't take it sadly. Plus SL does have a pretty bad rep because of the people on the grid choose to perform sexual acts. I know SL can be incredible it has potential but linden lab needs to take action.

SLtesterL2 wrote:

Plus SL does have a pretty bad rep because of the people on the grid choose to perform sexual acts. I know SL can be incredible it has potential but linden lab needs to take action.

To attribute SL's supposed (in your mind) demise to sexuality is deluded, in fact without the ability to bump pixels SL would indeed die. SL's reputation doesn't stop it being a viable economy, a place were friends hang out, a place where live music can be enjoyed and so much more. Your attitude is reminiscent of certain middle eastern countries, where sex is viewed with guilt and is seen as something 'evil' or disgusting. You can't stop it, LL can't stop it, furthermore if it was stopped people would move to other grids and platforms. Really its the equivalent of wanting to stop WoW because its violent, its a ridiculous attitude and certainly wont win you friends.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:- We're on the start of that trend. It will only be avoided if people can find a way to pay for tier, in a world where there is no inworld economy anymore (there isn't really... its moved outofworld to marketplace).

no, the problem isn't so much that as the fact that the vast majority of users (now, from what people tell me it was different before) are too selfish to donate in order to keep their favourite sims running, then have the gall to complain to the sim owner about closing it down when the inevitable happens and the sim owner decides to no longer foot the bill on her own.

I see that quite a lot, sadly. In part it's because of the overabundance of certain types of sims (clubs, mostly), in larger part because the entitlement culture that's swept the globe in the last several years, especially among younger people (who're now becoming old enough to start forming a serious part of the SL population), and in part the economic situation many of us face RL which means we no longer have the financial resources to help more than one or two sims with meaningful donations. I know for me, I'd love to donate to a lot of sims, but my budget is so limited I can only keep up donations to 2 of them and have them remain of more than token value for example.

jwenting wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:- We're on the start of that trend. It will only be avoided if people can find a way to pay for tier, in a world where there is no inworld economy anymore (there isn't really... its moved outofworld to marketplace).

no, the problem isn't so much that as the fact that the vast majority of users (now, from what people tell me it was different before) are too selfish to donate in order to keep their favourite sims running, then have the gall to complain to the sim owner about closing it down when the inevitable happens and the sim owner decides to no longer foot the bill on her own.

I see that quite a lot, sadly. In part it's because of the overabundance of certain types of sims (clubs, mostly), in larger part because the entitlement culture that's swept the globe in the last several years, especially among younger people (who're now becoming old enough to start forming a serious part of the SL population), and in part the economic situation many of us face RL which means we no longer have the financial resources to help more than one or two sims with meaningful donations. I know for me, I'd love to donate to a lot of sims, but my budget is so limited I can only keep up donations to 2 of them and have them remain of more than token value for example.

I think that there are still a lot of people who don't comprehend how much it costs in Real Life money to have a SIM.  And the newer the user is, the less likely that  they know.  People log in, the content is there, and little thought is given as to HOW it got there.

I have a Real Life budget.  That budget allows me to spend a certain amount on SL every month.  Because I am aware of the costs and because I appreciate what is being made available to me, if I like something I see I drop some Lindens in the donation basket.  Sometimes it's only 10 or 20 Lindens.  But I have to budget my In World spending too. 

But like you, I do have a couple of places I give more support to.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

- And the merchants have always been 90% predators, 10% SL users... so many of them have no interest in actually being part of SL, just in cashing in on it...

I take strong issue with this statement. It sounds more like you are channeling Jeananne.  I concede there are a few merchants out to part people with their money in any way they can.  But they are few and a few bad apples doesn't give you the right to tar everyone with the same brush.

Ninety percent of the merchants in SL don't sell enough to be preying on anyone. A good many of them actually spend more on building supplies than they make.  Others are residents that create a few things occasionally as a hobby to help pay their tiers or give them some money to spend in SL.  Of those that do make a "substantial" profit compared to other merchants, it takes them a lot of hard work and time outside of SL in photoshop or 3d programs etc., or being isolated on a platform building things to create on that level. As a result the don't have time to spend socializing or participating in the community to the level that you'd like. Even those that make a substantial profit are not 'cashing in' and getting rich by any means.  Generally they make enough to supplement their families income or at the most make a modest living in RL terms in return for spending more hours creating things than they would work in RL full time. 

Making a profit is not preying on anyone as no one is forced to buy anything. If it weren't for the fact that you can sell things in SL, there would be very little content for you to enjoy.

I know 'community' or being 'part of SL' is very important to you but not everyone in SL is out to be part of a community and there is nothing wrong with  that.  There are people that spend all their time rearranging and re-imagining their home or sim  or just creating things for the pure joy of it without selling or giving their work to anyone.  They may or may not have a few people that they are friends with, but they are perfectly happy doing their on thing by themselves.

SLtesterL2 wrote:

I don't think it's wrong u can do whatever you want it's your freedom, but not everyone wants to see smut I'm saying separate it for others who may not favor it. That's all no judging just opinion.

It IS separate, If you do not want to see 'smut' then simply disable adult content.

BTW your sex is dirty attitude is quite quaint, were you concieved immaculately?

SLtesterL2 wrote:

of course not lol! and i don't think sex is dirty its natural  
:)
however what im saying is that not everyone wants to see it and i have tried to turn it of but still see adult content guess its futile to avoid oh well. 

How do you mean you are still seeing it? If you disable the adult checkbox you wont be able to view adult things in search. Therefore you wont be Teleporting to adult Sims. Of course, if you stopped searching for the free sex sims.....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.