Sign in to follow this  
nicolette18

I'm a new and have xcite!

I bought a starter pack and I am having trouble getting my new parts to look right. Is there any tutorials or videos? I have to say the learning curb for SL is very steep

Greetings, nicolette18

Yes, the learning curve for Second Life is very steep.  I have been a resident for almost five years and have not got around to learning how to use Xcite equipment, so unfortunately I am unable to help first hand. However, there should be instructions in your starter pack, or if you go to youtube you might find some interesting videos on this product there.

And unofficially, I just want to award this the thread of the day, because I am sure you will get some very interesting answers (and maybe some kind soul will even be able to give you one on one tuition in world :matte-motes-big-grin-wink: )

Thanks Echo for your reply. I Have everything set up but it just looks very weird. I am not very happy with it at all. Extremely confusing and I wish I could return it and get my $L back. I can't seem to get the "things" aligned properly.

I finally decided to get one out of curiosity, I am not pleased with it eigther. It just feels weird and is impossible to get to look right. I too wish I could get a refund, but that's SL, you buy and learn.

A prim is the basic building block of SL.

In your inventory you have two versions, one is the 20 prim one and one is the full version, which I think is like up to 80 prims or something.

Basically, it is to appease those persons that are retentive about how many prims they are wearing.

Depending on your computer and your viewer, if your system needs to render more prins it can make a difference. However, if you aren't living in the 90s, you should be ok regardless.

A prim is a primitive object. I can make a table 5 prims, one for the top and each leg, or I can be super cool and make the whole table only one prim. The one prim table takes less resource power from you computer, if done correctly, and let's you have more stuff.

Oddly I love it when I hear someone ask things like "what is prim". -It reminds me how great it felt to be new.

The word "prim" refers to the basic block that all of SL was initially built around. If you have ever seen someone create a wooden block and then stretch or move it in some way that block is what a prim is. Before the use of mesh , most stuff was described as the fastening together and shaping of any number of prims to make an object. Ex: a square block with a triangular block sitting on top of it could be called a rudimentary representation of a house. Its composition of two blocks would be termed two prims. Prims can be sheared , tapered, hollowed, twisted and sculpted to the point of looking like almost anything; a scrunched down sock or a table leg.

I hope that makes sense?

In the last update from xcite I got, two versions of the male equiptment. One lists the number of prims. I presume that one is  the lower prim count of the two. (I never checked that presumption.) Often items with higher prim counts appear to the eye as "more detailed". HOWEVER To be able to provide an acceptable product that has a lowered prim count might be a goal for the manufacturer as some people try to wear lower numbers of prims attached to themselves and lower numbers of scripts depending on whether or not they are trying to reduce lag for themselves or to fulfill limitations expressed on sims they frequent.

The very best person to assist you with fit and how to use of course will be  a woman. I'd either hang around here and maybe one will volunteer to help ya in world OR you could try joining the xcite group and put out a call to one?

Xcite does have an entire website that is great for setting up preferences , but I've never gotten a great read for "how to use" off there for the guy's junk. Dunno if its different for the women's.

Xcite and all similar items do two things:

1.  They provide you with visible genitalia.  I don't think the Xcite parts, either male or female, are the best out there.  In fact, when I got my Xcite p*ssy, I got the "Secret", which is completely invisible except for some pubic hair that you can color, and an (optional) piece of jewelry.  Even so, adjusting it took quite a lot of tweaking, and advice from my partner.

2.  They provide you and your partner with an additional way of communicating your actions and your state of arousal.  You can edit the things that they say in chat to customize this a bit...but the best thing about them, IMO, is the arousal meter.  You can adjust your own level of arousal, and your partner can see that on his/her own meter.

You can do pixel sex without ANY props or add-ons, using only the animations in your bed (or other furniture) and chat emotes...and many people do just that.  (Well, the boys need a prim attachment, but it doesn't need to be a chatty one.  Dark Delights sells a perfectly serviceable one, among many others.)

So, why do I use Xcite?  Partly because my partners use it, and it's helpful to have equipment that works with theirs.  Partly because it's highly customizable.  Mostly, I find it useful because of the arousal meters.

Thanks for the help sinful prince. I do understand prim a little better. I agree with the xcite! Website being very vague. I still don't really understand how to use the HUD and I can't find any videos on the product at all. If any women have this starter pack and would assist me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Lindall! That explanation really helped. The reason I purchased it was mainly for the skin. It doesn't even come with a skin. I have like a wierd white glow in my regions and I assume it's because I don't have it fitting right and my upstairs region has dots that float from my body and I can't seem to attach them correctly. Now my clothes don't even look right. I put on a skirt and my ass hangs out of it now. I really need help or advice to go a different route.

There is a hide feature on the hud, so when you are wearing clothes they won't be visible. Because they are attachments and not really a part of your 'body' they will show up over clothing.

Also, you can just remove them when you are wearing clothing, but the hide unhide button would be useful I imagine if you needed them to be visible quickly.

As far as getting them to be aligned properly on you, that is an edit feature. Like almost all things that you own, you can wear it, then right click it and choose edit. You should then see different colored arrows, you left click and hold one of the arrows and drag your attachment. That way, you can place it correctly, this works for any attachment, like hair, hats, tails, nails, shoes etc, as long as it is not a certain type of mesh, some of those you can't move around.

Thanks for the help Charlotte! When you say right click and edit is that while wearing attachment or right click in inventory? The hide attachments makes sense. Is there a way to enlarge the HUD? I can barely read the text because it's so small. When I change outfits does the attachments go away? Sorry for being an idiot.

You are not an idiot. The reason I am here is to help. You should see some of the questions I used to ask! Lol

Anyways, yes, wear it then right click edit to move it around on yourself.

The hud I believe has a sizing option in its settings menu. If not, you can right click edit it and make it larger, but I'm pretty sure it let's you enlarge it under settings, I'll confirm later, I am on my phone right now.

When you change outfits, depends how you change outfits.

If you replace a shirt layer with a different shirt layer, it will not remove your attachment. If you replace an outfit that includes your attachment with an outfit that doesn't, then yes you will not be wearing your attachment any longer. You can have up to five things attached to any one point of your body. You add by choosing add, you replace by choosing wear.

Ok so if I right click, edit and move it around is that easier than using the HUD to adjust and move it? I can't get it centered with the HUD. I am on phone also so I am just trying to learn all I can before going in world.

Can you move it with the hud? If you can, I havnt tried that, but yeah, right click edit can let you position it exactly where you want. My problem has been in placing its in a way that looks 'real', to me, it keeps looking like an attachment :(

Yeah you can change dive and move it around but it's very difficult and it doesn't look normal or natural. Maybe I will never be able to get it to get it to look natural. Thanks for your help again!!

Body attachments designed to be applied over skin and that look "skin like" are always problematic.

- even if you buy one that is made to work with not just your skin tone, but the exact brand and maker and version of skin you are wearing - under many angles and lighting conditions it will still mismatch.

making an item that covers the lower torso and adds anatomy there is something that can never be an exact fit as with various shapes in SL, that region of the body could have different 'curvature' to it. Furthermore, the SL avatar is very poorly designed and very dated - there are not enough polygons at that part of the body, causing strange shapes when you bend, sit, stretch, and so on... and this can cause something worn over that part of the body to 'pop' through and into or away from the body.

You can get such a device to look 'good enough most of the time' but it will never be perfect.

Such attachments - which include not just this region but also new limbs like feet, legs, hands, even heads - are often best for still screenshots, where you can recolor it endlessly while posed and with special lighting to help it blend in.

Of course this particular device is designed with the aim of highly active animated usage... so only using it during still imagry somewhat defeats the purpose...

At the end of the day with SL, once has to shrug often and realize these are late 1990s 3D graphics with some modern day pieces strapped on. In this case, literally so.

- But for that, you get to indulge in experiences not available in a more pre-packaged up-to-date MMO.

nicolette18 wrote:

What happens if you wear to much prim? I am still very confused about prim.

This usually only becomes a problem when you ad more that are 'scripted' (have computer programs in them designed to do things).

For example up until this year it was common for people to wear hair that was designed as each 'flowing part' being a prim with its own little computer program inside to handle adjusting the size. A set hairdesign worn could have several hundred of these, and as little as two people wearing these entering the same location could crash the entire place, logging everything there out of Second Life...

(usually it would take a few more than two of them, but even one of them being in the same "place" would cause everyone there to feel slow/laggy.)

- Such nightmares are getting rarer as hair makers learn to program better... or buy their 'resize programs' from better coders.

BUT, you will see a -LOT- of places have a "script counter" somewhere folks can see, and maybe issue warnings to people too high on the lists there. While wearing too much stuff in SL is rarely a problem - wearing too much programmed stuff is a problem.

(once you've been around a bit longer, you'll want to learn how to remove the scripts from your items, which once you learn it can cause Second Life to run a -LOT- faster.)

Thanks for the info. That was really helpful catnip. I gues I will just detach the part for now and go back to my old self. I was probably to new in SL to try to tackle that anyway. The prim issue I am starting to understand. Maybe that is why my avatar has been really laggy lately. Is there a way to check your overall prim?

Another quick question about prim, does your inventory effect prim? Not the things you are wearing but the things in your inventory. Do the items in your inventory effect lag in anyway?

I don't think the prims in your inventory are of influence on the performance.

I'd be surprised if someone can point out they do.

I never liked Xcite myself btw...but then I like to roleplay things and not have my genitals/a hud say things for me.