Sign in to follow this  
Carl Thibodeaux

Question about RLV..

Say you have a master that is disrespectful and disables everything and is making your SL a living hell...

Is it possible to opt out of RLV? or are you pretty much screwed? and your SL account is no longer useable?

You can always go into preferences and turn it off RLV. It usually requires a relog. Then you will be free to remove any of the items you wish and change any of your settings you wish

All of the other answers are correct but i'd like to address it from a technical perspective as I feel that might bring clarity about what RLV is, what it does and what it cannot do.

RLV is a set of features in a suitable viewer that may be called upon by a scripted object that is owned by the avatar using the RLV enabled viewer.  By "owner" here, I mean the owner of the object and not some notional 'owner' of their soul and being. 

This object could be a collar, relay, or any other object such as a simple cube.

First off, the object has to be scripted to call RLV functions.  You can have RLV in the viewer enabled all day long and nothing, absolutely NOTHING will have any effect unless there is a scripted object rezzed (rezzed on the ground or worn) that makes RLV script calls AND IS OWNED BY THE VIEWER USER.

So in other words, I can have RLV enabled all the time (I do) and someone can try all they like to "control me" but unless i'm wearing a scripted item that receives their commands, no bad will ever happen.

Script commands can ONLY work on the owner of the script so in the case of being controlled by something the other person doesn't own, the "victim" needs to wear an object that can relay suitable commands.  That's what the RLV relay functionality performs.  It permits a third party object to send a command to the relay owner and the script then executes the command locally.

As others have said, Just re-log to a different viewer or with RLV turned off, detach any controlling item/deleted rezzed object and continue as before.

Similarly, the RLV "shared inventory folder" does not give anyone access to your inventory.  They can see the content of items that you posess and that you have moved into a specific location for the purpose of permitting someone else or an object, the ability to force wear or detach that content. 

It does NOT "share" your inventory with them such that they can steal it, take copies or whatever.  Nor does RLV allow anyone to steal money, give you babies or make your dishwasher fail to work anymore :)

You can NEVER lose anything nor be subject to anything that you don't choose to participate in.

Just to add to Sassy's explanation, the reason your Master can control you is that you've said, at some point, that an object that belongs to you -- probably your collar -- should listen to commands from him  and parse them into RLV commands for you.

Most collars have a facility for removing people from the list of people they listen to, so I suspect if you check the help notecard that comes with the collar it will tell you how to sack your Master.

If it's an Open Collar, simply saying your initials + "runaway"  (i.e. ctrunaway) in open chat should do it.

Or if it's an open collar you can just delete it after you take it off and go get a new one.

Why would you want to keep something that reminded you of an idiot?

True, but since I imagine the collar will be locked, he's going to need to sack his Master and regain control of the collar in order to unlock and remove it (or he can turn RLV off and relog, of course, but that's more bother).

Innula Zenovka wrote:

True, but since I imagine the collar will be locked, he's going to need to sack his Master and regain control of the collar in order to unlock and remove it (or he can turn RLV off and relog, of course, but that's more bother).

I was assuming the relog with RLV off to remove it.  You are right, running away might be simpler. 

However a reason for just taking it off with RLV off is unless my memory is wrong, it will not send the "person has run away" message to any of the owners on the Collar.

A brand new collar will be 'Virgin.'

I'll try to double check this later but this has been my experience with it.

This may not be true for other collars.  I have no experience with them.

Notifying others that you've removed your collar is nothing to do with RLV.  That's a standard lsl call, llInstantMessage(id, message) called in the attach event.   Some collars have it and some don't, but it doesn't depend on RLV.

All the RLV magic is listed in the Restrained Love API.  Forget about the syntax  (unless you want to make your own toys); the descriptions of what the commands do are clear enough.   

Not directed at you, but to all new submissives. When you agree to take someone's collar, no matter what they say, set yourself as owner and your Dom/me as either co-owner or secondary owner. That way they still have control, but you can override their commands when the inevitable disputes arise.

Also... some collars store owner info in some offworld database. So, just removing the collar and getting a new one might not work as expected. Just removing it will always work, a new one might retrieve the old owner info though.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I was assuming the relog with RLV off to remove it.  You are right, running away might be simpler. 

However a reason for just taking it off with RLV off is unless my memory is wrong, it will not send the "person has run away" message to any of the owners on the Collar.

it will send a message about logging in without RLV :)

The "virgin" state is a good reason though for ditching the collar (that and ditching the bad memories at the same time), though could be achieved by hard resetting the scripts in it as well.

jwenting wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

it will send a message about logging in without RLV
:)

The "virgin" state is a good reason though for ditching the collar (that and ditching the bad memories at the same time), though could be achieved by hard resetting the scripts in it as well.

I guess hard resetting could give the same emotional satisfaction as a swift kick to the family jewels might have.

It really depends on what collar (or similar device) you're using.   A hard reset will remove the owners from most items but some it certainly won't -- not if the information about ownership is stored on an external database.   In that case -- and the Dominatech iControl Implant, at least in hardcore mode, springs to mind here, but I'm pretty sure it's not the only such item -- then as soon as you wear that item again after a hard reset, or any other item that's part of the same system, the original ownership is restored.

It's really a case of  "read the instructions".    

Don't worry about being trapped by RLV. If a Master/Mistress restricts you, and you don't like it. Then open up your preferences and uncheck the box that says Restrained Love Viewer. Then Log out. Then Log back in. On your chat line type the intials of your name and the word runaway. Then teleport back home and away from the idiot that restricted you. My name is Jolene Wingtips so I would type on the chat line, not in the IM box the following command /1jwrunaway, or jwrunaway. once you type the runaway command, all owner are removed from your collar. Also when adding a Master/Mistress to your collar, always add them as a second owner, that way you always retain full control over your collar. then at anytime if your locked to a bed or some other device, just open your collar menu and turn off the RLV inside the menu. Then stand up and walk away. You should also set the RELAY in your collar to have a safeword, by typing the (((SAFEWORD))), in most cases you can get free, sometimes you will need to type that command three times. don't over think this command, it's not some other word like (((escape))) you must type it just as I have shown you here (((SAFEWORD))) Also very important don't set your collar relay to be open for anyone to grab you. Unless your like me, and love the adventure of being grabbed, and teleported and trapped. I can always get out of the situation, as I have already explained. Turn on the RLV and have some fun :)

I can verify the behavior of the Dominitech iControl Implant.  I dd the experiment with my alt, so I could see both sides.  What I don't know is whether a different instance of the Implant would also remember other owners.

I think, from a discussion in these forums (or their previous incarnation, rather) that  the Dominitech iControl Implant behaves like Open Collar used to.   That is, at least when it's in hardcore mode, it sends the details of your owner(s) to an external server.   So if you relog without RLV, remove the implant and delete it, and then relog with RLV and buy a completely new Implant, then the first time you wear the new implant, it checks with the external server and retrieves all the settings from the old one.

Fortunately, there's a free set of instructions available, for people who need to escape.