I am a total newbie.

nicolette18

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Demo means that it will have the word "DEMO" printed on it, its not cool. However if you are looking for free stuff on marketplace It is possible to find clothes for free, however it may take you some time to find them, they are hidden in amongst the 'demos" Usually these items are group gifts at stores. Another way would be to find something you really like on marketplace and visit the store inworld, most stores have group gifts.

I would also recommend watching the 'how to' videos in the support sections to learn about unpacking boxes and wearing items. You could also do this inworld at the various new resident areas.

Have fun :smileyhappy:

P.S. If there is one shop I highly recommend you visit it's Sweet Faces, you can choose from any hairstyle in the shop for free if you are under 30 days old

Leia, as always, made some great points. The fab free website is pretty cool and they have their own store..the address elludes me for the moment.

Another suggestion is to check out the world and find some stores you like, then join their group. Most times, they will have special group gifts or freebies that they offer exclusively to members. Do that with stores that do skins and hair and shoes as well. Pretty soon, you could get yourself a nice wardrobe.

Good luck

Phoenix has a button that says "Search" on the bottom...they type what you're looking for.

Also, don't forget about Marketplace. I know Leia mentioned that, but when you find something you like, there is usually a link to the actual store somewhere in the ad.

/me gets on her Harley, turns throttle to full and honks.

"MEEP! MEEP! Oldbie coming thru! Make room! Get outta my way, n00b! Oldbie coming thru!!!"

Sorry for that, couldn't refuse. :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

Anyway, there is another solution for Nicolette ... wait for it, it's coming now: Buy some Lindens and get the decent stuff.

Oh, I know now everybody's going like "Freebies are such good quality these days, there is no need for her to buy anything ... blah blah blah ..." And yes, you are right about that. BUT is it reallly worth all the trouble and time just to save the equivalent of 50 cent? I mean come on now, peepels, you know how cheap stuffz are in SL and you're always shouting to protect our poor inworld economy and our poor merchants.

Exploit your newbie status while it lasts! A lot of stores will offer freebies or very cheap items to residents less than a month old, or sometimes up to a couple of months. Actual freebie stores rarely have anything of value, but promotional items and group gifts from full price stores are often of excellent quality.

eta: further to Orca's message... I agree, SL prices are extremely low in real terms, and spending a few L$ is often the only way to get the very best quality. I'd still recommend you sample a lot of promo items first. It takes a little experience to find  your style in SL and judge what it's worth spending your money on. So I'd still advise a new resident to grab all the freebies they can in their early weeks before making a monetary commitment to SL.

nicolette18 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I am going to have to spend $L for hair. Can someone please tell me what prim is?

I think this says it best.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Prim

Truth, Magika and zero-Style all have freebie hair. Magika require you to join a group, but it's free and you can always leave if you want to. There are almost certainly others.

Kelli May wrote:

nicolette18 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I am going to have to spend $L for hair. Can someone please tell me what prim is?

I think this says it best.

Truth, Magika and zero-Style all have freebie hair. Magika require you to join a group, but it's free and you can always leave if you want to. There are almost certainly others.

I believe SweetHeart hair still does new hair for accounts under 30 days.

To use a SLurl, either have Second Life running and click a SLurl link, or click the link and then sign into SL. I find the first way to be or at least, feel, safer. (What if you do that sometime from a phishing website for example. I don't know if that can happen, but it's just as easy to do it the first way.)

The Fab Free store as others said has a lot of freebies from designers all over Second Life, in one location. Here is the SLurl for the FabFree in world store.

fabfree store: 

http://slurl.com/secondlife/The%20Wash/100/148/24

You will need a sandbox to open some boxes. This one is a PG sandbox, so you can only build or open boxes there. 

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Dreams/31/165/26

Most places will have a rules card or a drop down 'opt in' rules warning. If you pay attention and read the rules everywhere you go, you will have an easier time visiting other people's land in Second Life. For instance, I also found a nude sandbox in search. Lol. So you can find what you want. It makes no sense to go somewhere else and swim upstream.

To find things in search, click search, click places and type a keyword. I advise using a sandbox near the bottom of the search list, they will be empty and more peaceful.

If you are very new, Poetic Colors has a freebie eye color for you by the pillars in front. There is also always a freebie eye in back for anybody. 

Al Vulo has a free, new skin every month for group members. The type of skin varies a lot. If you have trouble finding their group joiner, click someone's profile on the land, click the group title for Al Vulo in their profile, then click 'join.' You have to wear a group tag when you click a group-only freebie.

Lots to learn at first.

My sim, Shining Star Isle --inside the castle doors is a freebie giver--things I've collected over the years, all legit, several hundred items--mostly women's skins, shapes, hair, eyes as well as clothing of all sorts: outfits, shoes, jewelry, tats, including furniture, toys, and more.

I have send you a LM (from my avatar Katyenka) to a store with lots of freebies,

check it out to see if there is anything to your liking.

(Ofcourse the real good stuff costs a few Linden, so you either want to camp (is that still possible ?),

earn or just transfer (RL to SL) that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.