What is your favorite kind of roleplay and why?

Solyl Salty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I only ask this out of curiosity.

My favorite is free-form, non-meter roleplay with people who take roleplay seriously. For me, it is much more fun because it exercises creativity, and stories are constantly being created and expanded.

What is your favorite kind of roleplay, and why?

I would have to agree with you. I tried the meter thing, and while it's entertaining, it doesn't seem to reach the depth or immersion as paragraph style rp.

As for specific genre, I like human only. It brings a good mix of new and old rp'ers. This can be any time frame. Once you start getting into different species or magic or any of that, them people need to understand not only rp in general, but also the world that they rp in. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not my thing. So I'd say I stick to post-apoc, urban, light sci-fi, or historical mainly.

Free form, no meters, paragraph posts, long or short doesn't matter, as long as some effort is put into it. I like dark settings, usually post-apoc, but dark medieval-ish fantasy is fun too on the rare occasions that I find RP sims for that. I like the idea of having to struggle a bit for survival, and I love conflict. Without conflicts, there can't be good stories. Can't stand too much peace and happiness, and I don't like too much realism or too many mundane things. I want to do stuff I could never do in reality, and I like putting my characters in dangerous, difficult situations, to explore the feelings it brings, to think of how one would deal with such things if they happened.

I never play completely human characters. Usually some type of animal-like characters, like were-animals or human/animal hybrids. Most often felines. Or tieflings, characters that are part demon. It gives me more freedom to express feelings, actions, and behavior that would be considered 'weird' or unacceptable for human beings. Also gives me opportunities to put together awesome avatars. :P And I enjoy playing sort of underdog characters and races, that are looked down on by the rest of the fictional society, often by humans. It provides a good starting point for conflicts and leaves a lot of room for character development.

I tried metered play once...found it complicated (although it probably wasn't...guess I got frustrated and stopped) and haven't been back since. I've tried little things,like fencing and such but nothing more than that.

Most of my RP are adult in nature. 95% takes place at my home with my "family". Why? Because it's fun. In RL, I'm a pretty mellow guy (most of the time) and not overly agressive. This RP breaks me out of my shell and let's me get my more dominant side out.

I know that doesn't help with the thread, but I wanted to put my two cents in there.

Just as with several posters above for me it is all non-meter free form RP.  I have watched a meter fight once long ago in the days of me starting RPing in SL and that was enough to make me decide that this is nothing I ever want to do (and there ar other reasons related to IC character skills and dynamics but that is not the place to discuss those). Today I don't even visit sims where the description says they use one meter or another.

As for the setting then I just love science fiction and cyberpunk. The future is what I like to immerse myself into most even when SL offers a strange lack on this sort of RP enviroments. Fantasy can be nice too, but I never really managed to play in any fantasy sim for longer then a few weeks as I have trouble to actually develop a real feel fo a character there. Dark urban/post apoc sims offer a setting I like to play in as well, but they lately seem to all be only about supernatural and magic. And that is not that appealing to me either.

I enjoy new things.

Good communication is Key.  I prefer medium length.  one liners are often too short to give detail, and paragraph rp takes long enough to hurt RP especially when playing an urgent scene.  Somewhere in the 3-4 sentence range works best for me.  I also really like it when everyone has a good typing speed and isnt afking out, you can really tell when the whole thing moves along faster.

Meter or not makes little difference to me.  When included and used right, a meter can add to a situation, and its good for helping keep godmod players in check, it can also be a detraction when you get people that do not RP well trying to use it as a control tool.  Like anything, if used well, it adds, if used poorly, it detracts.

I enjoy RPing in worlds that are different than real life.  I am much more interested in playing a fantasy or sci-fi or post apocolyptic world than an urban environment.  I like racial diversity, or diversity in general, as it adds new ways to build your own character as you develop in character reactions to the different races or people.  

I enjoy exploring, each sim is different, but a larger sim with multiple areas, or occasional changes is more fun than a small sim that never changes.

But, to reitterate, good RP comes from the players, so all of the above is secondary to finding a place where other like-minded players create a good story.

I enjoy adult content, but do not require it, I definately prefer a sim where it is on the table, even if it is little used, ooc barriers to RP annoy me.

Well they have to be historically themed, because time travel is one of the things I can't do in RL and would love to.

Don't mind a meter, a slong as it is not too intrusive and only there to make sure you fall over when shot or something.

I don't care if people type long paragraphs or short, as long as they can type fast.

I want things to be as realistic as possible and although I like drama, I prefer the day to day things.

Because after all, that is what life in the past would be like.

Even in Medieva times most of the people most of the time just cared about their job, eating, drinking and their relationships.

They didn't have murder, plague and wars every day.

But the most important thing about any RL is for it to have a community.

A place that feels like home, where you know lots of people, where everyone comes to events, take part in stories, etc, etc.

My favorite type of role play is para. 

Why – It gives details, responds to others and enhances the scene.  Not all role play is a story but most are scenes of your character’s story.  Para role play lets me expand and share the greatness of my fantasy self.  I can also help those around me with expanding theirs.  I want to immerse myself into a fantasy not chat.  I save my ramblings for ims with friends and chat rooms.  I have real life for things like…

Them: “Hi”

Me: Watches the guy standing on the corner of a street in a town Maya has no idea what the name is or where it is located.  She was confused as her features registered.  Strangers were always a 50/50 bet for help, but she decided to take a chance.  In the best friendly voice she could manage. “Hello, Can you tell me where I am?”   

Them:  “Where you are?  Well you are standing on street corner.”

Me:  “Very Funny.”  A frown manifests and anger darkens her green eyes.   

Them:  Grins “Yeah I thought so.”

Me:  Takes a few coins out of her pocket and drops them at his feet.  “Here for your trouble.  Most community colleges have great classes in stand up and improve.  You should try it.”  Yeah she knew she was being a **bleep** but the lump on her head was pounding like a slipknot drum solo.  She brought up her hand to touch the large noticeable bump on her forehead and stumbles off to find a drugstore with asprin.       

How I like it - One to five people make it as long as you want but keep it flowing.   Longer than one post and you are making others wait too long (unless prewritten or really fast typist).    This works best with 2 to 4 people in the role play, no more. 

More than 4 people and the sentence count should be 3 to 4.

DarkAngler's post caught my attention. I found some sci-fi/cyberpunk sims that were sadly empty.

but this line.... /post apoc sims offer a setting I like to play in as well, but they lately seem to all be only about supernatural and magic. is proof that those of us in Pleasant city really need to advertise better! lol.

If you want to check it out, then go to www.pleasantcitysl.site50.net. It's post apoc, but striclty human. There is no real magic, though there are different theologies. People who don't understand what technology remains, and consider ti to be magic, etc. It's a small startup sim, but a loyal player base is already developing.

Well i'm very new to RP, but for me my main concerns are activity and having something that's based in a period of history, such as ancient Rome. I don't think I'll find a sim that hits both criteria.

All of the ones I've seen mentioned are sort of medieval (which would be fine) except that they include fairies, vampires and elves etc, which to me I just can't be bothered with. I just want something that's realistic.

I completely agree.

Nothing personal towards those that love that sort of thing, but I'm allergic to fantasy and also romantisizing the past.

When I visit a Medieval sim I expect realism, not magicand stuff.

As far as I know there is no realistic Medieval rp sim.

Maybe I'll make one in a few years.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.