I need help joining land that my group owns

Rufferta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I set up a group "River Run Realty and Restoration" to own real estate so that I could have a little more land for the tier rate that I could afford.

I've been buying small parcels, fixing them up, then re-selling them. Not making a profit (actually, just losing money more slowly) but getting building practice.  I found a donut-shaped block of multiple small parcels in Labro,  near 224.238, that I have been buying, one by one, and joining together. When I buy them I set them to the group, allow deed to group, and "owner makes contribution with deed".

When I join the parcels; however, they lose the "allow deed to group" and "owner makes contribution with deed" tags. When I try to join the undeeded parcels with the "deeded to group" parcels I get the message "Cannot join property because it belongs to two different owners." I haven't been able to change the tags to make them match. One piece made of joined patches  is 1280 and the other is 1344. (Some of original parcels were as small as 16 meters. Don't know why they were cut so small before being abandoned.)

I tried selling the smaller parcel to myself to see if I could change the tags that way, but I get the message that if I buy the land I will have to pay the next higher tier - the difference is more than the land is worth!  The "sell to group" option is greyed out. (I actually now have 860m less than I did last week at same tier rate). 

Submitted this as a bug report, but Alex Linden says this is not a bug, ask for help here. I hope someone will be able to suggest a solution.  If not, I have two very peculiarly-shaped plots of land for sale.

Rufferta (the perennial newb)

Added 10-24-12

Made sure I was wearing group tag. I was able to subdivide a small piece of "deeded to group" land, but it lost the tag when I did so.

I notice a discrepancy in the land account tab/group account tab/and info on the land itself as to ownership. I'm wondering if I misunderstood what one of the Lindens wrote in the Knowledge Base "Group-owned land is held collectively by a group, not by any one group member. For the group to own land, its members must submit land contributions, donations that members make from their own personal land tier allowance. The group can own a total amount of land whose area equals 110% or less of the sum of all group contributions. " and that perhaps I can only contribute part of my total land holdings to the group?

I'm pretty small potatoes as far as land barons go - with only 16,880 square meters perhaps I am a "land baronita"?

Meanwhile, I will just muddle along.

10-24-12 Thank you, Chaos Mohr, for your help.

I was finally able to resolve the problem by splitting the parcels and re-selling them to the group. The sticking point seemed to be whether or not the box "owner makes contribution with deed" was checked. The system saw these as belonging to a separate owner and would not let me join parcels with this checked to the parcels that did not have this box checked and it would not let me change them until I had split the land and re-sold it to the group. Once I bought the land I was able to change the boxes to match, and rejoin all the piddly parcels. Whew!

1 answer to this question

Generally this kind of thing happens if you don't have the correct group tag active or have switched active groups multiple times. Try logging in and then activating you want to buy the land for, you should then be able to see the buy for group button (make sure that you have enough free tier in that group). You may need to switch your active group back and forth once to get it to recognize the proper active group.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.