internet usb

kabrikano Sporg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4200 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello second life :)

i have two questions for you !

* im on a trip now and i cant find DSL connection  and i might stay here a quite long time , so im asking if i can log in to  second life by internet usb flash   .. and if yes i wonder if it cost like browsing or streaming or more .. please answer me i feel so addicted :)

second question

i try to run SL by useing a DSL connection but i think its the lowest spead ever !! so its hard to walk .. things respond very slow ..i m asking if i change the graphics and put them on low ..it will be faster ..
?

thank you in advance :)

1) No! Haha, the USB sticks will run SL just fine ... but for a price! Those USB thingies are meant for emailing and light browsing. Most come with a 5GB full speed flatrate, which means after you used up 5 GB of data your speed will be throttled to unusuable sluggishness for the rest of the month. My daily usage of SL is between 300 - 600 MB, which means after a few days I already would need to top up to get speedy connection again.

For that reason I was never happy with my sticks so when we're travelling I rather stay away from SL for a few weeks if I can't get a decent adsl or cable connection.

2) lowering the graphics only makes sense on bad hardware, like laptops without dedicated gpu. I assume you're using a laptop since you're travelling right now. If your lappy is a "gamer" reducing the graphics resolution doesn't really make sense since most of the rendering work is done by your gpu anyway. SL will send you all the data in your draw distance, regardless of your gpu rendering it or not. What will help you for sure is lowering your draw distance! Remember: 1/2 DD is 1/4 stuff to render.

Try it out and see which setting gives you the best fps.

The 3g internet connection will probably let you log on, but you definitely won't enjoy it. Imagine trying to watch a youtube video on a dial up connection. It can be done, but watching a five minute video takes an hour. If you really feel the need to log on to sl with one of those things, then you'll need a text only viewer. I can use Lumiya on my phone, and it works okay. But any form of graphics on one of those 3g things is a quick way to disappoint yourself.

kabrikano Sporg wrote:

hello second life
:)

i have two questions for you !

* im on a trip now and i cant find DSL connection  and i might stay here a quite long time , so im asking if i can log in to  second life by internet usb flash   .. and if yes i wonder if it cost like browsing or streaming or more .. please answer me i feel so addicted

second question

i try to run SL by useing a DSL connection but i think its the lowest spead ever !! so its hard to walk .. things respond very slow ..i m asking if i change the graphics and put them on low ..it will be faster ..

?

thank you in advance

Are you going to be staying at a hotel/motel? if so many if not all hotels have free wifi, check and see if the place you will be staying has it. Just a thought

I have run SL using 3G on a USB stick thing in two countries.  In both cases it ran fine.  Remember that SL does not use a massive amount of bandwidth, especially after you have downloaded/cached a region.  It is not great for doing lots of region hopping or shopping, but even decent sized clubs run fine with it.  And if you are just pottering around your SL home you will rarely notice the difference. I found that once you have 1GB of bandwidth you are OK - and once connected SL will keep running, though not very well, right down to about 300K!

I regulary log into SL using a USB modem.   I used a 3G modem for several years, and upgraded to a 4G/3G device last year.  I currently use a Novatel 551L.

Performance is decent, but not flawless by any means.  It depends pretty strongly on where you happen to be, from what I can tell, down to the particulars of your local cell tower.  At the end of the day, the cell tower you happen to be connected to has finite bandwidth to allot among whatever users happen to be around.  So, if I am using a tower that happens to have 3G service, out in the countryside with my RV, it will often test out to give download speed of 1 MB or more, and then SL will run just fine.  Sometimes, it only delivers .5 MB download, and then SL becomes pretty sluggish.  And sometimes, it can start a session with 1 MB download, but because other users log in, that can drop to 0.05 MB for the odd hour or two, SL is out of the question and you are lucky to be able to check email.  Same location, the next day, it might run SL all day long without a hiccup.

4G service is availbale in lots of places, and works better than 3G for SL.  Download rates test out >10 MB many times, almost always > 4 or 5 MB.  I've not seen it slow to a crawl.  But at times of the day when there are likely to be a lot of users online all at once, it does have a tendency to disconnect suddenly.  The place I have been staying this week has usually been just fine, but there was an hour or two yesterday when I could not hold a connection for more that 10 minutes.  Then it cleared up, and I've been connected for 12 hours without a glitch.

The other draw back to using 3G/4G is of course the cost.  My device comes with a 5GB/month allowance, and etxta GB's cost me $10 US.  An evening playing is SL (streaming music while I play) can easily cost 500MB downloaded data.  Not nearly as bad as watching HD movies, but the data costs can add up if you are not careful.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4200 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.