NEED HELP - Hacker/Possible Real Life Stalker

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

A SL user put a real life photograph of himself into my inventory and also took two pictures of my avatar and put them in my inventory.  I did not accept any of these photographs.  They just appeared in my inventory without any accept or decline.  What is creepy is that I was wearing a vampire outfit that was bloody when he took the photos - it was  Halloween costume.  He also put a note in my inventory that on the bottom reads:  The Electronic World is reality, the game starts in the physical world.

I have taken this seriously and called the police.  The police have taken a report; however, the police would like to know how I can transfer this real life photo of this man out of my inventory.  Can anyone help explain in how to transfer this photo into my documents on my computer so it can be printed out.

And, could someone also explain how these photos got in my inventory with no accept or decline, and I also never met this username nor is this username on my friends list.

Mayalily wrote:

Hello,

A SL user put a real life photograph of himself into my inventory and also took two pictures of my avatar and put them in my inventory.  I did not accept any of these photographs.  They just appeared in my inventory without any accept or decline.  What is creepy is that I was wearing a vampire outfit that was bloody when he took the photos - it was  Halloween costume.  He also put a note in my inventory that on the bottom reads:  The Electronic World is reality, the game starts in the physical world.

I have taken this seriously and called the police.  The police have taken a report; however, the police would like to know how I can transfer this real life photo of this man out of my inventory.  Can anyone help explain in how to transfer this photo into my documents on my computer so it can be printed out.

And, could someone also explain how these photos got in my inventory with no accept or decline, and I also never met this username nor is this username on my friends list.

There is no way that  I know of to 'upload' the picture to your computer.

What you could do is save a screen shot of it.  Windows Vista and I think forward have a program called "snipping tool."   Or you can use a free app such as MW Snap.

http://download.cnet.com/MWSnap/3000-2072_4-10524228.html

As to how the images got in your inventory..I'll leave that to someone with more expertise than me.

Mayalily wrote:

If someone who knows your password logged into your account, he could take a snapshot wearing that vampire outfit which might have been sent to your account in advance as well as his real life photo . If that's the case, those transactions should have appeared in your transaction history. Check it (https://secondlife.com/my/account/transactions.php?lang=en-US).

Also you should check http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Password-and-account-information/ta-p/700017#Section_.5 and act quickly.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

I had tried right clicking before I came to the forum, and nothing.  That's why the Police asked me to ask the forum if there was a way to transfer it out.  Also, there is no tga area like on my other photos that I DID TAKE.  

However, I was successful in getting a good enough copy via another means (but not transferred into documents).

This has to be a hacker because there is no way to put something in someone's inventory like that without an ACCEPT.  Not to mention, I do not even know this username. 

Thanks for now, and I might possibly need to contact Govenor Linden.  So, how do I do that? 

If the resident has your password he more than likely can do all of what you describe with use of any thrid part bot or inventory tool

If you have the police involved why dont they call Linden Lab direct and investigate? Kind of odd they would have you ask the user forums for help in the matter

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

If the resident has your password he more than likely can do all of what you describe with use of any thrid part bot or inventory tool

If you have the police involved why dont they call Linden Lab direct and investigate? Kind of odd they would have you ask the user forums for help in the matter

Yes, I know.  My account is basically, in a word, compromised.  I will have to make some changes to the best of my ability.

The Police simply said they aren't familiar with the program so are there people you can ask on how to transfer the photo out, and I said "yes".  The police are not going to sit at my computer and try to figure out how to transfer a photo out when there is no actual threat at this time, nor was there any money in that account.

My only thought as to how the photos got in my inventory is this person has compromised my account and logged in and used my avatar...took the photos of the avatar himself and accepted them, and had a friend send the real life photo and then had my avatar accept it.

The above sounds most logical; however, I just need to stick to basic protocal of reporting this right now and not get into what sounds weird or not weird.  

Thanks again for all your help. 

wiked Anton wrote:

if you download it, you may odownload a virus and this maybe what he/she is counting on...snip it and save it, then its only taking a picture of your screen

there is no way that a photo uploaded from the SL server into your viewer can contain a virus.

repeat after me

there is no way that a photo uploaded from the SL server into your viewer can contain a virus.

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

Linden Lab would not release any information with out a court/legal order.

Mayalily wrote:

Hello,

I'm joining this thread rather late, because I missed it somehow until a friend pointed it out to me.

Firstly, while a little bit of paranoia is no bad thing, there are many things that have appeared in my inventory over the years that I cannot recall having clicked to accept or decline.  Take, the contents of the inventory's library, for example, a whole bunch of werewolf and vampire avatars and mesh ones at that, appeared as if by magic.

Now, I know you're talking about a regular resident rather than LL themselves having somehow mysteriously added photos/textures to your inventory, but as Perrie says, they can't introduce a virus to your computer that way; the worst thing anyone can do to you/your computer, is crash the graphics card by overloading it with information, but they'd more than likely risk crashing their own in the process.

I personally think you are worrying over absolutely nothing. 

If you really took a look at all the temporary textures, and other stuff that lurks underneath the surface of your computer as hidden files and folders, you'd probably be even more worried!

Mayalily wrote:

I had tried right clicking before I came to the forum, and nothing.  That's why the Police asked me to ask the forum if there was a way to transfer it out.  Also, there is no tga area like on my other photos that I DID TAKE.  

However, I was successful in getting a good enough copy via another means (but not transferred into documents).

This has to be a hacker because there is no way to put something in someone's inventory like that without an ACCEPT.  Not to mention, I do not even know this username. 

Thanks for now, and I might possibly need to contact Govenor Linden.  So, how do I do that? 

Governor Linden is not in charge of Linden Lab in spite of the name.  If you really believe your account has been hacked into/compromised, then you need to submit a support ticket as soon as possible via the "help" button at the top of this screen.  Linden Lab then put your account on hold while they look into the matter. If you feel so threatened, this should be your next course of action.

If you do feel threatened in real life, then is the time to call in the real life police. Otherwise, it's like crying wolf, and you run the risk of being charged with wasting police time.

First, you know who the culprit is because they are shown as the creator of the images? Or previous owner? (or some other way, which maybe we don't need details about; I just meant that knowing creator and previous owner might be useful.)

Second, you've checked your account transactions history to make sure none of this was recorded as a recent asset transfer?

Third, as others have noted, you definitely want Lindens involved; they can know infinitely more about the origin and history of those assets than you can find out yourself.

Unfortunately, they probably can't recover much if any metadata about the RL image that was uploaded. I'm guessing the police would want as much of that as they can get, but the uploading process is likely to strip away most if not all of that, in the conversion to internal storage format.

Echo Hermit wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Governor Linden is not in charge of Linden Lab in spite of the name.  If you really believe your account has been hacked into/compromised, then you need to submit a support ticket as soon as possible via the "help" button at the top of this screen.  Linden Lab then put your account on hold while they look into the matter. If you feel so threatened, this should be your next course of action.

If you do feel threatened in real life, then is the time to call in the real life police. Otherwise, it's like crying wolf, and you run the risk of being charged with wasting police time.

Of course I felt threatened as there is no way to get items into someone's inventory without an accept (other than photos that come with clothing items I personally have clicked on to buy).

Anyhow, as far as thread, I don't have time to respond to every response, so I am sure the Lindens and their appropriate team will take care of it; and, if anything further happens, I will take it to the authorities again as I do have monies put into that account and now have to close it.  Fortunately, the account was and is empty at this time, but it was linked to payment info.  Not good, but I'm not going to speculate further at this time that this was and is a real life type of threat.  It is under control for now.  So, let's just chill about it for now. 

Thanks again.  I'm hoping for the best, not the worst, and that's all I can do.

Is "Auto Accept" on? That might be the culprit - sent when you were offline.

Many people have told you how to 'transfer' the picture to your computer and you still keep saying there is no way to do this. YES there is - several, actually - which have been explained. Did you read them?

If it is not a transferable image then you cannot, unless maybe the Lab helps you. But you could take a screen shot of it sitting in your inventory. Have the properties tab open, showing the details of the image.

Sorry this is happening to you.

As the internet continues to grow, security will have to be taken more seriously by all companies. 

Are you listening, LL?

Senobia Xenga wrote:

Is "Auto Accept" on? That might be the culprit - sent when you were offline.

Many people have told you how to 'transfer' the picture to your computer and you still keep saying there is no way to do this. YES there is - several, actually - which have been explained. Did you read them?

No

No, auto accept is not on nor have I ever heard of it.  I accept or decline everything and always have. 

I just noticed now that the picture also says right next to it in paraenthesis -- no modify, no transfer.

How was this person able to do that...put a real life picture in my computer that is no modify/no transfer?  Anyone have any idea how they made that picture no modify/no transfer?

Also, a SL creator tried to send me stuff from an exclusive group I am not a member of...all items were declined by me.  This is getting weird. 

p.s.  /me waves Hi to Melita..it's been awhile.  Hope u r good, Melita. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.