how to force my own linking order on linked objects?

CharmanderHunter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i'm trying to force my linking order when i'm building. the order is indeed important for mathematical reasons. but it seems that no matter what order i select the objects in, it doesn't matter and forces its own order, which, in turn, make my job overly and unnecesarrily difficult.

1) why is there a system that specifically forces a specific pattern? i know for a fact that forcing a specific pattern is far harder then letting the user select their preferably pattern

2) how do i force my own object linking sequence?

3) selecting my objects in backwards doesn't work.

2 answers to this question

The order is always the same.  When you select prims for linking, the first prim you select will always have the highest link number in the linkset and the last one you select will always be the root prim (link #1).  There is no variation on that theme. There are, however, several ways to get confused.

1. If you unlink a prim from the linkset, all of the prims with higher link numbers will be re-numbered by lowering their link numbers by 1.

2. If you select a new prim and then select the linkset, the new prim will always have the highest number.  This is particularly handy if the last "prim" added to a linkset is an avatar, as will be the case if an avatar sits on the linkset.  In LSL terms, llAvatarOnSitTarget() = llGetNumberOfPrims() .

3. Linksets in SL do not have heirarchical linking.  That is, all child prims are children of the root prim in the linkset.  A child prim cannot have a child of its own.  No daisy-chaining allowed.

4. The link number that is displayed in the Edit/Build tool cannot be trusted.  For reasons that are unclear, that number fails to update properly sometimes.  To be sure what the number of a specific link is, write yourself a quick, drop-in script with a touch_start event that includes llSay(0,(string)llDetectedLinkNumber(0));

If you want to have something that feels like your own numbering scheme, or one that behaves as if it were heirarchical, don't refer to link numbers.  Assign child prims to groups with the same name and then refer to all prims with that name.  For example, name all doors in your linked house "Door."  Then tell your LSL script

if (llGetLinkName(llDetectedLinkNumber(0)) == "Door"){    // Do door stuff, like opening or closing}

The script will ignore touches on other child prims. In this way, you have created a subset of child prims that behave as a separate unit, and you won't have to worry about their link numbers if your ever mess with the linkset by adding or removing prims.

ETA: If you ever find that your linkset isn't behaving according to the rules as outlined above, start over again by unlinking the entire set, not just a few prims.  There's a good chance that your prims aren't numbered the way that you think they are, so it's best to clear the decks for a do-over.

See more at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Link

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

the loon is incorrect. lag sim timing and drag selecting to fast can cause the order to be out of order. this can also ccur based on camera angle and perspective,as well as the current detail level when dealing with nurbed(rounded) surfaces  that are close to each other

was looking fora solution but i think i came up with one while i was writing this,

-try using a linkset resizer script and shrink it down to less than 32 meters draw distance
--then follow it up with lllinkobject.
---maybe its time someone ungayed up the script be removing he UBNOXIOUS ll in front of every command. especially since only 3 of them were actually invented by lindens anyways. the rest have all been based on user created functions. for instance raycast laser and warpto and rules

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.