Complete lack of Snowland Rentals

iCade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why is this? Over the year I have been here I have occassionally felt the urge to live somewhere snowy, but time and time again I only found a handful of parcels in a snowy region for rent. None on private regions.
Why is this? Why don't rental agencies realise the potential? It's always just grassland and beach, and having watched the market it seems that rentals swear on beachland being the most popular, yet actually looking at the rented lots and up for grabs lots it isn't so.

What would be even more awesome would be shopping districts that are snow themed, and not only for christmas. I'd rent there right away >.<

Any thoughts? Am I so far off believing there's potential? Why is there a complete lack of snowland rentats?

Edit: To clarify, I am not talking about full regions/homsteads since obviously due to EM rights one can simply change to snowland. I am talking about parcels here.

I was talking about parcels, not homesteads. Homesteads you of course get EM rights to change the terrain textures to whatever you want. Should have clarified this.

EM rights grant you the opportunity to change the type of land, -however- I am talking about places that do not grant you EM rights and offer snowland.

Well that would be mainland then but on mainland, you are unable to change the terrain. You can add megas with snow textures and weather scripts to add snow etc., but otherwise the terrain is whatever LL has deemed it to be.  There are snow sims on mainland - perhaps that route.  Find someone who owns mainland snow sim and see if there are rentals there.

All other land be it Open Space, Homestead, or Island, you can change the terrain with EM rights as you say.  That is if they give you EM rights that include changing the terrain  Some do some don't.

You -really- don't understand the point of my topic, I apologise, english isn't my mother language.

You know how rentals work yes? Someone owns a full prim sim, or homestead, puts on a terrain texture, and splits it into parcels. These are the types of sim I mean. Try searching for a snow parcel for rent. Tell me if you find more than 10, maybe 20. Now look at how many grassland and beach parcels you will find in comparison.

Also, private regions can apply, too, not only mainland. As long as the rental agency owns the sim, they can change to whatever terrain texture they want for their tenants to enjoy.

Again, I am NOT talking about owning a full sim that lets you change terrain on a whim. I am looking to rent a snow PARCEL. Have been looking for month, but barely found anything, and surprisingly, found no private region with a snow texture -unless- it was a seasonal sim that changes for its renters per season.

There's a market here, and I cannot understand why rental agencies cannot see it.

I hope you understand the point of my post better now :)

Well, I do understand what you are looking for.  I just added a few other ideas - such as mainland sims that are snow textured all year round.  This is because mainland owners cannot change the terrain.

Understand that when you own a private sim - be it open space, homestead or full prim island, you can only change the terrain texture on an entire sim not just parcels.  I can see that this may be part of the reason snow sims all year round, are few and far between.  The example that I gave you was of such a sim. 

I own both estate land and mainland and at one time was in the land business where i rented out commercial and residential land.

I know that there are land owners out there that have seasons on their land.  So in winter, there would be snow theme.

I hope you find what you are looking for. 

Snow just isn't as popular year round as the tropic and temperate sims are or even themed sims such as dark gothic. In fact most people don't want to live in permanent winter.

Tropic is the most popular  Yes there are a lot of parcels for rent, but you can't go by that.  What percentage of all tropical land is rented compared to the other types of climate.  A lot more.

You will see a lot of places change to a winter environment starting around late November through January.  When I was a landlord I changed temperate sims to winter for the holidays but generally after New Years,  tenants were clamoring to get the sim turned back to 'spring'.

One of the reasons I think there is low demand for them is the inconvenience of wearing appropriate clothing,  When I'm in a snow environtment in SL and don't dress for it, I feel uncomfortable.  However if I lived in one and was going out to other sims that were not snow sims, I'd feel strange wearing winter clothing there, so would change.

With so many estate owners struggling to keep their rentals full, and many losing sims who cannot, I am sure some would change to a winter environment on a few year round if there was any significant demand for it.

I change my estate's textures to reflect the change of seasons, but i have no problem with a parcel owner putting down a snow texture for as long as they want it.  The sim is mountainous and can easily have snow parcels year round.  There is also an attached homestead half of which is a lake for all the owners to use (the other half is my messy works in progress space) which will be a frozen all winter.  Feel free to stop by anytime.  Some of the owners have security, but there is plenty of public access space as well.

Putting down a mega prim is limiting, unless it's a sculpty ground cover with bumps and such. However, I have this, which allows me to terraform as I want, and still have snow ground covering the floor: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/LandMap-Change-your-ground-texture-without-land-powers/236734

The video won me over and I purchased it, fiddling around with it at the moment :)

Yes most definitely & just to add.  The sculpty texturing a mega IMO is even less desireable as there are issues with the bounding box.  One being that they can & do impede vehicles. 

Another way to have different terrain textures I've since been told, is to use the land levels.  Is tedious but you can do say 1/4 sim in snow, 1/4 in grass, etc.

Awesome that you found something you can use.  And thanks for the heads up on that.  I hope you will let us know how it works out.  I see there is a use of scupts so am very curious on how it goes. 

The linked product doesn't use sculpts, it uses mesh, so bounding boxes aren't the issue, and it thus far it works just like it's shown in the video. It's terrific, now I don't have to own a homestead to change terrain textures on a whim :D

I have that product and have used it with good results.  THere is no bounding box issue with it.  You can choose the size of your sculpted prims by how you lay out the devices that produce them, so no mega prims are needed if you choose not to use them.  You can also set it up not to cover any roads so it has no effect on vehicles.  Overall it is an excellent product to use for people like iCade that want a different terrain texture on their lot.  It is particularly effective for snow and sand because you can choose to make the sculpts a little thicker and your feet will sink into it like they would with RL snow and sand.  I've used it to give people sand beaches on grass only sims in additon to making snow or just to change a terrain texture from what the sim has.

Thank you, Amethyst, for a full explanation of how it works.  I also like to use it to give owners on my sim an alternative to the textures I choose.  I always remember what it was like for me as a renter when the estate owner suddenly changed my beach land to snow.  I wish I had had this product back then.

• 4 years later...

iCade wrote:

Putting down a mega prim is limiting, unless it's a sculpty ground cover with bumps and such. However, I have this, which allows me to terraform as I want, and still have snow ground covering the floor:

The video won me over and I purchased it, fiddling around with it at the moment
:)

Even though I'm four years late in this conversation I just wanted to thank you for that link to the snow. Who I pay tiers to atm is dirt cheap but the downside is their managerials skills are in the toilet. I asked if they terrform snow for winter and have had no reply. I'm not keen on moving because I can usually sort out my own land issues apart from this. You, my dear are a life saver!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.