Requesting connection of two linden waterways? How?

Jenni Darkwatch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3888 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, I tried to along the northern edge of Rollo this evening without success. Even on foot, hard up against the property line, the security device alerted and kicked me out. The only change from last time was that it kicked me into an adjoining region, instead of sending me home.

Andrea Curtis wrote:

Well, I tried to along the northern edge of Rollo this evening without success. Even on foot, hard up against the property line, the security device alerted and kicked me out. The only change from last time was that it kicked me into an adjoining region, instead of sending me home.

Few days ago I was able to pass through Rollo with a small hovercraft kissing the northern edge for the whole passage.

Today (2nd June) I tried again.  No joy any more, there is security orb with 20 seconds warning time.  One would need very fast speed boat to be able to do the passage in 20 seconds.  Ah, it appears that object entry is set to group only too.

:smileyfrustrated:

Well, tried it and the detection range of that security device ends above 200m.
Good for aircrafts, unusable for ground effect vehicles.
And it can change everyday, so this is not a reliable solution.
It's worse in Herkja, where two devices are battling it out.
Below 200m you get a 5 sec warning, above 200m, you get the boot immediately.

So we can consider Rollo & Herkja as permanently closed.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a parcel at Erik, (directly East of Arnthrud) for over 2 years and have enjoyed air/water access via Herkja.

After being rudely booted by the 5-second orb, at 270m altitude (where I took off from), I appealed via IM, to the rental management, to adust the timer to something more reasonable.

Typically, this request was ignored. I've heard from several others who were also ignored by the owner, who evidently doesn't care who he upsets, or inconveniences, with his growing rash of ubiquitous hearts.

5 seconds barely allows time for the "Oh, sh** !" reflex, nevermind take appropriate action and vacate the sim voluntarily.

I thought there was a decree that such devices must be set 10 seconds minimum? If not, pure commonsense should tell owners, that 5 seconds allows absolutely no action to be taken, by the detected party. Whatever your standpoint on the old Orb arguments, (from both sides), a more reasonable timing should be considered.

Although technically, there is a navigable route* from Loorq to Arnthrud, it isnt conveniently open to casual water traffic. Even if you make it through to Arnthrud, with Hekja blocked, that's the end of the line for many mariners. Arnthrud is now little more than an isolated lake.

Makes me wonder, now that Arnthrud is effectively cut off, how long it will be before LL decided to sell the water sim and consequently make the surrounding land virtually worthless.

In the more serious case of Rollo, I'm amazed the inconsiderate owner hasnt been admonished by Lindens, for preventing navigation along that solitary route from South to North. Affecting not just water traffic but aviation, too.

* There is a moveable bridge (click to raise) at Northern edge of Thorlaug sim, which is kindly kept navigable by the owner. That passage leads down into the group-only channel. (the owner of that water, is happy to accommodate boating traffic, providing users don't mind the minor inconvenience of joining her group). NE corner of Askold sim is passable, with public access, so technically it is possible for boats to pass into Arnthrud from the sea at Loorq.

I didn't know about that channel... that would indeed re-open the route for sailors with one precarious corner sim crossing:

Jharm SE corner -> Herkja SW corner -> Arnthrud -> Thorlaug -> Askold -> Loorq

The group requirement is a bit odd but I can live with it.

At the moment I'm mulling writing an automatic warp script that - when dropped into a vehicle - just warps me across Rollo or Herkja when I approach the sim from either direction.

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

I didn't know about that channel... that would indeed re-open the route for sailors with one precarious corner sim crossing:

Jharm SE corner -> Herkja SW corner -> Arnthrud -> Thorlaug -> Askold -> Loorq

Wow! I was able to sail from Jharm to Arnthrud aiming straight at the south east corner in Jharm.  The boat had just a slight hickup in the crossing but it went happily through anyway. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Actually it seems tha route is still impassable. The SE corner of Thaurlag is group owned indeed, but the owner does not seem to be interested in letting anyone join the group. I didn't bother him/her further since I noticed the needed connection on Askold is owned by some land group and could thus become impassable at any moment as well.

About the only way I can see LL resolving the issue would be by adding a set of 5 coastal waterway sims: North of Soncino, go up three sims then go west two sims until it connects to the channel there.

Unfortunately I don't know any Lindens and even if I did, their office hours are inaccessible to me since I'm at work at those hours.

Edited: Actuall they could go a different route. A channel through NW Erik, then the abandoned land NE Erik, eastalong the southern edge of Leif (all abandoned and already water), then southern edge of Thorkell which is partially abandoned. There _is_ an owner in the SE corner of Thorkell but I'd imagine LL could strike a deal there. 'course, it's all speculation.

Another possible solution (instead of creating 5 new sims, which LL would probably baulk at) - is moving Rollo/Herkja diagonally Northeast, adjacent to Valgerd/Oleg (as I understand the Grid, this might only require allocating a different X-Y location).
Then Lindens would just need 2 water sims, to replace them. Preferably protected, so this can't happen again.

Is unlikely that Askold will be blocked... When I double-click tp'd onto that corner, I landed in a skybox strip club (eek!) , so I'm guessing that will remain accessible to public.

Strange about the group-only water though - one of my Thorlaug neighbours showed me the route through there and said owner was ok with it. Maybe she changed her mind. :(

Her profile says IM's are overlooked, so I dropped her a notecard (suitably translated to Japanese). Hopefully there'll be a reply, one way or another. (Doesnt solve the Rollo/Herkja problem though).

UPDATE: - reply came back, an unambiguous 'no' - so that route is definitely not an option.

Yeah I just talked to one of the orb owners... let's say the communication was less than polite:

[22:12] (Me): Excuse me, may I take a moment of your time?
[22:12] [Orb Owner]: what do you need help with?
[22:13] (Me): Actually I was wondering if there was _any_ way at all you could open a channel for sailors across your land on Rollo?
[22:13] [Orb Owner]: I am only a guest here
[22:14] (Me): I know, you rent it. Your land is the only connection between the north and south continents. There's two security orbs that boot anyone trying to sail across.
[22:14] [Orb Owner]: have a good day
[22:14] [Orb Owner]: joi gin!
[22:14] [Orb Owner]: mute[

I rent the 1/4 nw corner of Rurik. I guess all the questions to mysitcalrentals.com (the owners of those hearts) ticked them off. The other day I came into my sim and there were huge letters saying "Private Sim. No Crossing" on the sim border facing my place and the waterway. One hell of an eye sore. Well, needless to say I pitched a fit and at least they took them down.

That being said, I understand they own it and can do what they want. Poor planning on LLs side. Because I enjoy sailing, I spoke to the owner behind me on the sim, asking if he'd be interesed in opening a channel through mine and his, and allowing people to do some corner crossings to get around Rollo and Herkja. Well, he wasn't open to it because he said people would stop, play with things on his land, etc. Well, it was worth a shot.

As for the above suggestion of moving Rollo and Herkja, that is assuming those two sims need to stay together. Simply moving Rollo diagonally NE would open up the waterway crossing.

I'm interested in putting together an effor to hav Linden do something if someone knows who to contact.

I passed a notecard to Michael Linden with the hope that he reads it. I passed along the suggestion given above about relocating the 2 sims diagonally. Also referenced this forum topic. Hopefully, he will read it and respond. 

Some good news....

My friend found the ground rental for Rollo available today, and since she enjoys sailing, will open up it up for passage. From what she told me, the security orb will still be set, but allow 30 seconds or so to get across the sim. That way, lurkers are still kept out, but others can move through if they are simply sailing.

I suggested to her to set up a tip jar thing for donations to help keep the sim. I hope some of you who pass that way will help out in keeping this sim under friendly hands. I know I will.

Happy sailing!!

Edit: Speaking to her more, I suggested a sort of rest stop along the beach where people can disembark and kick back for a little while. Perhaps a little bar/cafe thing with patio chairs, beach lounges, etc. If she does it, I told her to name the cafe something like "The Rollo Crossing." lol. Feel free to suggest other names!!

• 2 months later...

Just to let people know, I also rented Herkja, which neighbors Rollo. So the waterways around that are open as well. I've put some houses up there for rent for those interested in helping keep the sims open, but also need a place to live and rez their boats. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3888 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.