Sign in to follow this  
DawnaGurrl

Transvestites/Crossdressers/Transsexuals

Hi!  I just signed up for Second Life today.  I'm having trouble logging in, so I was looking around the Marketplace for items I might want to buy/download.

I'm interested in playing Second Life as a male-to-female transvestite/crossdresser.  What I want to know is if I can find women's clothing I can use for this purpose?  Is it possible to "convert" clothing between genders in SL?  Sorry if this has been asked before, but Google has been no help to me so far.

Thanks,

Dawna

Well, the clothing should adapt to your avatar unless you buy mesh.  If mesh, then avatar must adapt to clothing.

If you are a female avatar or a male avatar, either can wear the other's clothing easily.

Am not sure if you registerd as a 'male' avatar but are going to 'wear' a female shape & skin or registered as a 'female' avatar.  I suppose it really doesn't matter since as I said, can easily cross dress.

Sorry I hope that didn't come accross as confusing - I am confused now :P

Rival Destiny wrote:

Well, the clothing should adapt to your avatar unless you buy mesh.  If mesh, then avatar must adapt to clothing.

If you are a female avatar or a male avatar, either can wear the other's clothing easily.

Am not sure if you registerd as a 'male' avatar but are going to 'wear' a female shape & skin or registered as a 'female' avatar.  I suppose it really doesn't matter since as I said, can easily cross dress.

Sorry I hope that didn't come accross as confusing - I am confused now
:P

Lol, whatever they registered as, they can easily change genders.

--||-

Thank you for your fast replies!  You've helped me so much!  I didn't want to start downloading women's clothes I won't be able to use...

There's a whole lot of stuff to learn, but this is particular to your question.

First: A great deal of the clothing available in SL "adjusts" itself to fit the shape of the avatar wearing it, so the idea of women's clothes to fit a male shape is not really an issue.  There is an exception of late, called 'Mesh' clothing. Until you've gotten comfortable with changing the shape of your avatar (easy to do, but it takes a bit of research to do well) you're probably better off avoiding Mesh clothing for now. Just look for the word Mesh in the advertisement.

Second: The big exception to the above is SHOES. The basic male avatar's feet are larger (even when adjusted to the minimum size) than the feet of the basic female avatar. Women's shoes are designed to fit the feet of female avatars. A male avatar will always have trouble with shoes. Boots can often be a good way around that problem.

Third: I'd skip the Markeplace for now other than to buy very inexpensive or free things (or Demos, which give you a great idea of how stuff looks but you won't wear in public since they have big signs reading DEMO—very  uncool :-). There are tons of free stuff available inworld that will help you learn to understand how clothing works and how to tell what might look good from what probably won't.

There's tons more. Skin. Hair. You name it. But just the little bit I talked about should be enough to let you get started experimenting. Welcome to Second Life. I think you'll find it a very tolerant and welcoming place. I sure did.

If you're going to be male avatar dressing as a female, you might check out various groups in world to see if they can give you some direction. also, do a search for crossdress/transvestitve and see what kind of places there are for you to go. Although, most people don't care who shows up to their establishments, you might feel more comfortable going to a "Tranny" club or something like that.

Your request, I think, is actually unusual. Most people in your position are either men playing women or men playing shemales..but that's only been my experience and, as usual, I could be wrong.

Wonderful ideas!

Sounds to me like you did register as a male avatar.  I was unaware of the shoe issue with male avatars vs female avatars.  You could always reinvent yourself before you go any further, rejoin with a new avatar but choose female this time.  You can always stipulate in your profile what you're representing.  And you're so right, there are a ton of shoes out there to die for.  :)

DawnaGurrl wrote:

Wow, bummer on the shoes....there's so many amazing women's styles available!

Yeah, shoes are what finally made me cave in and use a shape based on the female avatar—my first six months were in a male shape (which requires almost as much creativity in Second Life as it does in the real world)—but the first time I tried on a pair of shoes with the current shape I knew there was no turning back ;-). However, as I said in my first post, boots almost always work and there a lot of great-looking boots out there. You can take your time and experiment.

A year or so back someone was looking for information on t-girl friendly places and a couple of friends of mine put together a really extensive list. Because it was a year ago (maybe even a bit more) a lot of the locations on the list may have moved or disappeared but I'm sure a lot are still there. I'll try to remember to send you a folder of LMs (Landmarks: something ELSE you need to find out about—it never ends) the next time I'm inworld. Better yet, send me an IM asking. It will help  you learn how to do that and it's usually a good idea NOT to accept offers of things from someone you don't know.

See, I'm one of the owners/administrators at TransgenderSims.com (and a mod at Simmergirl.com).   We've been making boys and men in beautiful women in the Sims 2 and Sims 3 games for years now, and I wanted to see what Second Life had to offer on the same subject.  With Sims 2, we had a community that created skins, clothing , and meshes specifically designed to "transform" males to females.  It's even easier with Sims 3.

It's one thing to be male and play a female character, but to have your male avatar present as female is so much more appealing to me.  But if I can't have the shoes, I may as well do itthe "regular way."

I didn't say you couldn't have the shoes. It just isn't nearly as easy. Often you can find shoes that will re-size enough to work on male feet. Just takes more work. Go ahead and give it a try: it is fun :-).

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Go to NCore. Try a demo. The alpha layer will hide your
ugly man feet
(I think) and you can resize them to accommodate your larger shape.

They weren't ugly!!! They were just....large. You're right, though. In '08 the alpha things for feet either didn't exist or I never saw them. These days you probably can do a lot more even with female sized shoes.

For me, if a male avatar is wearing female clothing and "presenting" as a female, it makes the avatar CD/TV/TG, NOT The player "behind the curtain."  It just feels more "real" to me...

As I said about my Sims experiences, my girls start out as male, but with use of in-game and 3rd-party tools, they end up as beautiful women.  In the game itself, they still have male voices and mannerisms (this too can be changed).  The satisfaction is the knowledge that the girl you see is not what she appears to be,  I don't have any "before' pictures, but here's an example (I hope I'm not breaking any rules here...I don't want to make any enemies here, seeing as I only just arrived...I'm not trying to promote The Sims or anything, I'm just hoping you may see where I'm coming from):

Honey 01.jpg

HoneySuper09.jpg

Although she looks 100% female, she's actually male.  In the game itself, her "voice" is kinda boyish, she's attracted to girls, and her mannerisms are male for the most part.  It's the ILLUSION that she's female that makes her appealing.  Just creating a female in SL and SAYING she's transgendered would cheapen the experience for me...

It's ok...Men bashing seems to have become a legitimate recognized sport....:matte-motes-big-grin:

1. it's not the male feet that are ugly, it's *all* the default av feet... the male feet are just bigger :)

2. If you buy 'mod' (modifiable) shoe, they'll be easy to stretch big enough for male feet. It's usually much easier to stretch an attachment bigger than to make it smaller.

3. This probably didn't need to go in the Adult forum. I don't see transvestism, or even transsexuality, as a necessarily Adult activity. There hasn't even been any reference to sexual activity in the thread so far.