Important if ur dating in SL!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please people make sure who you're dating is a premium member and age verified, cause my gosh you know how many underage play secondlife and state they're over 18! Too many! Im sure you heard it all but not enough... Its dangerous if you don't know who you're talking too and what information you're sharing! Please don't share your personal information, It takes a long time to really get to know someone, especially in SL. I keep getting messages in my SL inbox saying " hello im a single lady and I found your profile interesting" I automatically block those kind of people.

I wish you all the best and hope your relationship does work out and many do, just PLEASE becareful!

Yeah I've been getting the odd IM as well as a few in my mail box here on the forum.  Similar line, saw your profile, was attracted or interested .. yadda yadda.  Must be a new trend going on.

It's a good thing to be reminded on occasion about being careful in sl, careful with your personal info etc.

However, I have to say that being a premium member doesn't mean they still aren't underage.  And, as far as age verification goes?  Well, that's a non starter since all you have to do now is tick a box that says you are over 18.  So in effect, there really is NO age verification in sl.  Unless someone sends you their RL DL # or some other form of ID lol.

Tex Monday wrote:

Didn't you used to have to give credit card information or something in order to go to adult sims? I vaguely remember that..

I'm not sure how long it's been available to do...it's been available a long time, but the option is there that allows you to only allow people who have payment information on file on your land.  It's there for all land maturity ratings.

Yes at one point LL had set up a procedure to be age verified where an aspect was to use a credit card. 

No idea when it reverted to ticking a box, but that's all you need do now.

So bottom line:  Create adult continent, impose strict procedures to be age verified, remove all adult content from the mainland & relocate to said continent, merge the teen grid, then when all is quiet, revert back to the simple method of age verification.  Am being silly of course...no idea if LL followed the last bit or not ... who knows?

Regardless, I've always been of the mind that SL is an adult environment, no question, no two ways about it.  If they want children to mingle with adults, I cannot control that.  BUT I do and have made it a point to consider anyone new I meet to be any age.  And act accordingly.

If we all really consider it, these underage residents have always been on the main grid.  I met quite a few when I had my land business.  The only thing that has happened is that they have their own specified areas - so the legitimate, honest underage users have somewhere to go.  The rest will continue on visiting wherever they please as they did before adult content. 

Adult content - LL has now their own AC.  :) Seems fitting for a 2nd life to have a BC and an AC. 

This is a tool for land owners to use and really has nothing to do with age verification.

Of course the belief that it does may stem from the one time practice of having to present a CC or other ID to verify age and one of them was that you have payment info (ie a CC) on file. This was how I verified myself when this came into effect - had pmt info on file already so that worked for me.

I guess if you have CC information on file, you no longer have to worry about checking that adult box then?

Although  I'm an adult, I never bothered giving out my information..a friend of mine was nice enough to use theirs for both my avatars...

Rival Destiny wrote:

... you need to edit that. 
Max 2
Opposable thumbs (1 on each hand)

• must own or at minimum, lease THEIR OWN basement

I did use the plural, 'thumbs', but I do notice I didn't specify just how many.

Accept no imitations! Don't listen to anyone who tells you 3 or more thumbs is okay.

I did assume a basement would be provided regardless, perhaps I have grown too privilaged.

Thank you for warning the SL population about these important risks.

Well if you are new to sl, you will have to check the over 18 box to be adult verified.  It isn't automatic when you give LL your CC info say to pay for premium membership or buy Lindens.  And this is understandable since under 18 you can still have a CC. 

Even though you can be banned from LL for giving false rl info to join, they don't care about this of course since they can simply make another avie in a few minutes & rejoin.

Rival Destiny wrote:

This is a tool for land owners to use and really has nothing to do with age verification.

Of course the belief that it does may stem from the one time practice of having to present a CC or other ID to verify age and one of them was that you have payment info (ie a CC) on file. This was how I verified myself when this came into effect - had pmt info on file already so that worked for me.

Yes, that. It's good to remember that credit card information was also used for verification on the old Teen Second life for 13-18 year olds. Given this, it is doubly odd that LL ever saw a card as a good way to verify 18+!

Yes & I think LL did so because the teen grid was still in place at the time adult content was removed from mainland and Zindra created. At that time, all other residents of sl were considered adults.  Falling in sync with that, any adult already in sl with CC info on file, can be age verified by having their cc info on file.  And from that point on, when you joined sl you had to jump thru the various hoops to become age verified. 

I have no idea when they stopped and the simply check the box method ensued, but that's where we are now. 

well,I'm not new in SL...my one AV has been in since 2008 and this one has been on since 2009.

I don't have premium membership, but I guess I'm wondering if I have to go back and still check the adult box. I've never had any trouble getting to mature/adult sites, so I'm thinking it's ok.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Other things worth checking when dating in SL (and with the intention of moving to RL):-

• Bipedal locomotion

Feel free to hang on to this list and file it under 'C' for Common Sense.

But some men like to keep their women on all fours.  ;)

Perrie Juran wrote:

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Other things worth checking when dating in SL (and with the intention of moving to RL):-

• Bipedal locomotion

Feel free to hang on to this list and file it under 'C' for Common Sense.

But some men like to keep their women on all fours. 
;)

So do some women Perrie ;) *cracks my whip

Justyn Andretti wrote:

Please people make sure who you're dating is a premium member

Really? You are going to base your relationship on something as meaningless as premium membership? Are you a Linden in disguise? *winks

and age verified, cause my gosh you know how many underage play secondlife and state they're over 18! Too many! Im sure you heard it all but not enough... Its dangerous if you don't know who you're talking too and what information you're sharing!

Age verification in SL is a joke, it simply doesn't exist

Please don't share your personal information, It takes a long time to really get to know someone, especially in SL.

*nods good advice

I keep getting messages in my SL inbox saying " hello im a single lady and I found your profile interesting" I automatically block those kind of people.

You might have blocked your perfect match, someone commenting on my profile in a complimentary way is lovely.  Why would you view this as a negative?

I wish you all the best and hope your relationship does work out and many do, just PLEASE becareful!

Good luck
;)

Justyn Andretti wrote:

Please people make sure who you're dating is a premium member

Premium member?...What this has to do with being an adult?...no...though I perfectly get the point of your warning; I have never been premium member, and I highly doubt I'll ever be. However, I am waaaay over 18, as most no premium users are...as far as age veryfied, currently, such process is nothing but a joke. And on the other hand, pretty often, to have  PIOF indicates that a given person is over 18...but not always

That of not being fooled by a kid about their age, may be difficult ...a mix of common sense and the ability to find, let's say "clues" in the way someone  talks and acts, besides their likings and dislikings are still the best way to go in this regard

waves @ Jasmyn - hola mi amiga......besos!!!

I have to agree with Jasmyn in regards to using common sense & your hinkey meter to detect clues.  We have to go with the flow, with the changes LL makes we have to adapt.  For me, even before the teen grid merged, I was aware of kids on the grid.  Having said that, I make new friends but at the same time, am aware of the pitfalls of SL.  Am not a fan of teens on the grid at all and will say again that IMO SL is an adult environment. 

Also like to add for the OP, that there presently is no way to determine if a resident is a premium member unless you ask them.  Or they happen to own a Linden home I suppose.  I could very well be mistaken in this but I've not seen anywhere in profile or elsewhere that would provide this info. 

My SL husband is not a premium member. Thanks to the implimentation of Zinda and what all, age verified, yes. Up until then no. No PIOF either.

I'm not a premium member either. Mainly because I see no advantages. Only disadvantages imo. (Losing inventory after period of non-activity, for instance) But that is a completely different subject.

I see the age problem here just as the age problem IRL. Cute guy or gal at a bar or party. Age? Looks like 18. At bar, must be even 21. ID? a) Do you always ask before deepening the conversation? b) Back to the scenerio with the bar, obviously the ID shows 21 (or atleast 18 probably)..... And both in SL and IRL you can get in to a HUGE amount of trouble that can change the rest of your whole life - and that not to the good - more than you can ever imagine.

Premium membership offers no guarantee of age as teens are allowed to be premium too.  The only way to age verify someone it is to take them to an adult sim.  Even then it is no guarantee as they person could have easily lied about their age. 

Currently when you join SL you are asked for your date of birth and that is what determine if you have access to adult and mature sims and contents.  Of course many teens probably lie about their ages.  All you have to do is see how many new people now are asking how they can "correct" their DOB after signing up  because they 'accidentally" put the wrong DOB in and didn't realize it until they found they couldn't access adult and mature content LOL.

The best way available to protect yourself is to take the time to really get to know someone well before moving on to a more intimate relationship. This will allow you to asses their maturity level and life experiences.

I can understand maybe not being able to spot someone who is underage that claims to be 19 to their early 20's, but no way can a teen represent themselves as an older adult and keep up the deception long.  Their life experiences are different.  Even the best role players slip up and reveal things about themselves so that you can gauge their approximate RL age, if you take the time to know them.

I agree with some posters who say that the teen grid should not have been merged with the adult grid.  IMO SL is no place for a minor.  If i had teens they would not be allowed in SL under any circumstance.  There is nothing wrong with it being an adult only venue, and it has nothing to do with the sexual content.,  After all you don't let kids in bars and nightclubs.

Not that I am looking into dating in SL but...what is this BS about having to be a premium member?
I'm not a premium member, yet spend quite a lot of bucks on SL each month. What would premium member ship really give me? Land? I have a full homestead. A stipend? I can buy my lindens as is. Extra support? Never needed it, the people on this forum are beyond helpful, and the one time I did have an issue I called billing and all was fine.

I don't need nore want premium, and it certainly doesn't make me untrustworthy.

I was a premium member for a few months, because I had a serious harrassment/stalker/griefer problem, and I was told having a premium account would give you more LL support. Yeah...not so much. All they will ever tell you "File a report.File a report." Rinse, and repeat. The only reason you need to become a full member is if you want to buy land directly from Linden Labs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.