Sign in to follow this  
Jenni Darkwatch

Viewer on Kubuntu 12.10 beta 2 64bit = crash

Here's a generic solution for the PCRE crash, using AppArmor to prevent the viewer from accessing the .gtkrc-2.0 file. The side effect is that some of the UI will miss the proper graphic, i.e. spinners, checkboxes, dropdowns etc.pp.

Instructions for Kubuntu, to be run on the console:

sudo nano /etc/apparmor.d/secondlife

Insert this text, then save with CTRL+X:

# Last Modified: Wed Feb 13 12:34:38 2013#include <tunables/global>/**/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin {  #include <abstractions/base>  #include <abstractions/user-tmp>  network,  # Dumb but doable - allow everything  /** mixrwkl,  # ...but deny access to the .gtkrc file  deny /home/*/.gtkrc-2.0 mrwkl,}

Now restart AppArmor

sudo service apparmor reload

Done. SL should run fine now. This works at least with all official LL viewers including beta, dev and project viewers. For other viewers you may have to copy the profile and adjust the do-not-run... filename.

i am very new to Kubuntu 12.10 and have absolutely no clue what to do. I cannot get firestorm or singularity to work...could someone please walk me thru it as i am technologically impaired? :matte-motes-bashful-cute: i had 64 bit on my computer but switched to 32 bit thinking it would help and no change. i have no clue how to apply this fontconfig you all are talking about...im not stupid by any means...i just have absolutely no clue what i am doing. please help

I've not mucked with 12.10 in a year or so... however, to figure out just why it's not working (pretty vague description btw), run Konsole (in the K menu under Applications->System->Terminal or just type in "Konsole" in the K menu).

Then change into the directory your installation is in, i.e. "cd secondlife" or where-ever you extracted the viewers.

Run Secondlife by typing in "./secondlife" and paste the output here.

It would, btw, help to know what exactly you mean by "cannot get...to work". Does it crash? Errors? Anything?

Btw, if you have an nVidia or ATI/AMD graphics card you also need the proprietary drivers for those, they do not come pre-installed. In Kubuntu you can install those via: K menu->Applications->System->Additional Drivers