How do I change permissions of textures and prims before selling a build?

AnthonyMann

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have just completed a large build of over 200 prims using full perm textures, scripts and sculpty maps.

Is there an easy way to set the whole object as Copy/Mod/NoTrans or do I have to go into each prim and set it there?

If it is Mod, will people be able to deconstruct the build and get the scripts and sculpty maps?

How do I avoid any legal tangles before I sell this thing on Marketplace?

Thanks in advance, I always get good advice and some nice tips here (and I notice it's usually the same group of people) :)

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

Here's a good, generic introduction to setting permissions >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Object-permissions/ta-p/700129 .  You will find, though, that permissions can be extremely tricky, even when you thinjk you understand the rules.  Here are a few things I find helpful...

1. Always work with an alt.  When you think you have all permissions set properly, take the object bak to your inventory and give it to your alt so he/she can check the perms on everything -- including all items in the object's inventory.

2.  Always set perms on objects when they are rezzed in world, not in your inventory.  Perms do not bcome effective until an object is rezzed, so if you set perms in inventory and then give the object away, the new perms will not be in effect for the new owner until s/he rezzes it.  For example, a "no trans" object will not be "no trans".  A good way to keep track of which perms are "permanent" is to use the Advanced (or "debug") Permission menu >>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Debug_Permissions

3. If you want to make sounds and textures a little harder to rip off don't put them in your object's inventory.  Apply textures directly to your object and, if they are supposed to be changeable, refer to them and sounds in your scripts by their UUIDs.

4. Nobody can steal a script if you have made it no mod.  I generally make scripts copy or copy/trans, so that the owner can make a backup but can''t see what's in the script or modify it for some other build.

5. Sculpty maps are vulnerable unless you have applied an alpha texture to them in your graphics program so that they show as blank in the Edit >> Object window.

6.  You avoid legal "tangles" by not selling another person's work and claiming it as your own.  Study any advisory notecards that a texture artist or 3D designer may have provided if you bought full-perm components.  Most are pretty clear that you may use the items as componens of your own work but not resell them "as is".  Of course, the best way to avoid the issue altogether is to make your own textures and mesh/sculpty components.

• Like 2

To add to Rolig's superb answer...

Some creators feel that Modify permissions on an object increase its vulnerability to copying.  That is one reason given for making an item No Mod and equipping it with re-sizing scripts instead. 

I disagree with this position.  Unless the Bad Person is using illegal copybot software, Modify objects are (IMO) no more vulnerable than No Mod objects...and if they ARE using copybot, making the object No Mod gives no protection.

The other reason given for using re-sizing scripts is it makes things easier for edit-challenged users.  That one makes more sense, but, "Let Them Learn Editing Like the Rest of Us Had To", I say grouchily.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.