To contact a friend who disappeared..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I guess many of you had such problem. I had a really good friend, probably the best one in SL. One day she logged, saying nothing, except "good night" and after that doesn't appear online for about a month. I am sure, she would tell me, about absence, but she just disappeared. I have her in one group, where it is written when was her last online time, and it really was that evening she logged near me...

Do you think there is the way to find her email or something? I just want to hear from her... Do you think, contacting support to ask for her email will help?

spammeranledea wrote:

I guess many of you had such problem. I had a really good friend, probably the best one in SL. One day she logged, saying nothing, except "good night" and after that doesn't appear online for about a month. I am sure, she would tell me, about absence, but she just disappeared. I have her in one group, where it is written when was her last online time, and it really was that evening she logged near me...

Do you think there is the way to find her email or something? I just want to hear from her... Do you think, contacting support to ask for her email will help?

i hope that LL wont give out ppls emails .. in your case i believe that youre sincerely concerned about your friend & would only like to know if she is ok .. but other ppl might stalk others in rl if LL gave out email addies .. so i would think its a very bad idea for them to do so & would open themselves up to lawsuits if they did .. so no .. i dont think they will give you her email .. i hope your friend is ok

Jeanne

LL won't give you any information at all so as to protect her privacy.  They believe, and I agree, that it is up to the individual to decide if, when and who may contact them outside of SL. 

I'd start by IM'ing her as well as sending her a private message through the website that you miss her and asking when she may be returning.  Her IM's may go to her email if she has it set up this way.  I'd send the PM to her in case she can access the website but not SL itself for some reason. Also, check with mutual friends to see if they have had any word of her. 

This is about all you can do.  Take heart, she probably had something unexpected come up in RL that has prevented her from logging in and she will return when she is able to. Usually if people are leaving SL they will tell their close friends that that is their intention.

I hope she is ok and that she will return to SL soon.

No no no, for all of our privacy, it would be very bad if support told you other peoples info, such as email addresses. I once lost a friend and tried tracking her down over many months by joining her listed groups and asking mutual friends as to her whereabouts. Finally, one day she contacted me. She told me rl had taken over and SL had become too busy so she hid herself and came in SL anonymously. Sometimes people need a break, even from themselves.

• 1 month later...

Now...I understand your plight. This happened to me last year. A dear friend poofed. I was frantic. She finally came back a few months later and I demanded her RL email. I couldn't take it. Now she's on Facebook, so I know she's ok. If she's in a same group you can see her last log in... or if you know any of her friends, you could ask them what they know. Maybe she has an Alt. Sorry, it sucks when someone you love or care far goes missing.

• 4 weeks later...

honestly, there isn't much you can do.  Either you wait until she comes back or you write her off as gone for good.

Chances are if someone is a very good friend they would give you other wayys to contact them than sl... 

That said it is not LL's job to give you said person's personal info with said person's express permission, they would open themselves up for all sorts of trouble, lawsuits, etc.  

You can see if a different friend of the person's would pass a msg along if they have another means to contact them.

Chances are though, that if they left SL and did not give you a means to contact them, then they don't want to be found/contacted outside of SL and you need to respect that.  If she wanted to contact you, she knows where to find you.  It's really sad that so many don't get that there are real RL feelings behind everything that happens in SL even if it's just RP'ing for a lot of ppl... 

I say a friend is a friend, even in SL but not too many think that way...

• 2 months later...

She may not be able to come on, because of bad storms-look how many lost power and homes in the last year alone! She could also have not been able to afford her internet, or home, etc. She may have had to shut down. I hope you hear from her, it is always a worry when someone we know in here disappears, but there are so many rl things that can take over. Hopefully an offline message from you will reach her!

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.