This Mesh issue on Sim-crossings

Ayesha Askham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I notice that the "disappearing Mesh" issue on crossing sims is still with us.  This was discussed in a thread a couple of weeks back: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Sim-Crossing-Mesh-Invisibility/td-p/1680785.

What was most enlightening was doing two identical trips, one in an MLCC Oceanic (prim), the other in an MLCC Loonetta 31(mesh), both fine craft with good sim-crossing characteristics, just that the Oceanic never vanished once, whereas the Loonetta vanished on 95% of crossings.

One thing I noticed today on Blake Sea was that it is not channel specific, and neither is it entirely consistent.  One thing that seemed to solve (at least partly) the issue is either zooming in/out with the camera or flipping in and out of mouselook briefly.

This suggests that it is a problem with sim-to-viewer communications, since I would assume that a change of view requires the server to resend information to the viewer, something that it appears loathe to do otherwise  (at least regarding Mesh or Mesh-linked prims).

I wonder if this is linked to the "fix" for the message spam bug SVC-8124 in someway?  Is the sending of information to the viewer now throttled too severely, or was the bug fix merely putting a band-aid on a mouth ulcer?

I'm not casting blame here, I'm just curious.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

I notice that the "disappearing Mesh" issue on crossing sims is still with us.  This was discussed in a thread a couple of weeks back:

What was most enlightening was doing two identical trips, one in an MLCC Oceanic (prim), the other in an MLCC Loonetta 31(mesh), both fine craft with good sim-crossing characteristics, just that the Oceanic never vanished once, whereas the Loonetta vanished on 95% of crossings.

One thing I noticed today on Blake Sea was that it is not channel specific, and neither is it entirely consistent.  One thing that seemed to solve (at least partly) the issue is either zooming in/out with the camera or flipping in and out of mouselook briefly.

This suggests that it is a problem with sim-to-viewer communications, since I would assume that a change of view requires the server to resend information to the viewer, something that it appears loathe to do otherwise  (at least regarding Mesh or Mesh-linked prims).

I wonder if this is linked to the "fix" for the message spam bug SVC-8124 in someway?  Is the sending of information to the viewer now throttled too severely, or was the bug fix merely putting a band-aid on a mouth ulcer?

I'm not casting blame here, I'm just curious.

very interesting Ayesha .. i have 3 boats none of which are mesh .. the 1st time i took out the bigger faster one it crashed @ every single sim crossing .. next time w/ a smaller slower one it made some sim crossings but crashed @ others .. so i assumed the difference was the boats .. but on a different day on different sims the larger boat was making the crossings .. so i dont know why some days & some places it will cross & other days & places it wont .. the boats arent mesh but now from your post im wondering if i wasnt wearing mesh the day i could make no sim crossings in the boat .. hmmm

if you have any further insights into this please share !!

Jeanne

Yes, the dissappearing mesh vehicle issue at region crossings is still here.  I was sailing with Loonetta mesh boat and the boat vanished almost completely in many region crossings.  Not in all, but it did happen many times anyway.

Right clicking the boat after vanishing always re-rendered it; with the side effect that the boat stopped momentarily before going on.  Few times after vanishing I did not click the boat, to see what happens.  Well, often the boat did re-render after sailing quite a long distance in the region.  Sometimes the boat re-rendered only after the next region border crossing.

Very annoying thing this vanishing thing is. :matte-motes-frown:

Now that you mention it, the timing does seem about right.

Something else that may not be related that I started noticing about the same time: neighboring regions that I have rezzed, that are directly in view, suddenly disappear as if the sim went down and then almost immediately reappear. Ground, prims, everything. I don't remember ever seeing this until a month or so ago; now I see it often.

For all I know, that may be a recent viewer bug, and I don't mean it to derail the thread because it may have nothing to do with anything. Just suggestively coincidental timing.

I see the disappearing sims daily, for at least a couple of years.  Usually I am somewhere near where my four sims meet. If I fly away from the invisible sim and then towards it, it reappears.

The disappearing objects and prims, however, I have not seen often over the last couple of years, but they are now daily. Also ppl walking out over the water, houses lying on their sides because the rezzers pooped out -- much more common the last couple of months or so.

I see the disappearing sims daily, for at least a couple of years.  Usually I am somewhere near where my four sims meet. If I fly away from the invisible sim and then towards it, it reappears.

I too have seen that general behavior for years--I have a bunch of parcels bordering various sims--but it's different from what I've been seeing recently.

But never mind. It turns out that what I was seeing is probably already fixed. I don't know who can see these anymore, but Dan Linden reported the bug, which was apparently due to sims resetting the connection 50 seconds after you cross the border into another sim.

Ina Fairport wrote:

The side effect that the boat stops momentarily before going on after clicking is very easy to avoid.

Press the control and alt key at the same time and hold them, then click on your boat, the boat will rerender without stopping.

Hmm... does not seem to work in Firestorm 4.2.2.

Press Ctrl + Alt + hold both down, left mouse click the boat.

No, the boat does not rerender.

Doing the same but clicking with right mouse button, the same effect as without holding down Ctrl + Alt keys (i.e. the boat rerenders at once and stops momentarily.

Coby

I run Firestorm 4.1.1 and I find the following work without stopping the boat even momentarily:

"One thing that seemed to solve (at least partly) the issue is either zooming in/out with the camera or flipping in and out of mouselook briefly."

You may find that you need to change your camera view momentarily in order to zoom, but it is easy enough to return to rear view afterwrds.

I use camera controls and all my comments are based around the use of such controls.

• 1 month later...

My experience with sailing is, that my  prim boats in the past also partially or fully disappeared at sim crossings, the mesh Loonetta doesn't disappear more often. Why I am writing... since two days my partner and I have noticed a very strange phenomenon. When he sits on the Loonetta the boat disappears for me and he is no longer visible either. When he gets up he renders again together with the boat. At other times, when he sits on the boat his avatar disappears but the boat stays visible. When I sit on the boat too, his avatar renders again. This happened in different regions at different times, it's not reliably reproducable though. I wonder if anyone else has had this happen?

Greetings

Lailantie

Happy sailing ... :matte-motes-big-grin:

Sim-crossing-1.jpg

At sim crossing... :smileysurprised:

Sim-crossing-2.jpg

Sailing onward... parts of the boat start appearing.
Sometimes the boat appears completely in the next sim crossing, sometimes not.

Sim-crossing-3.jpg

The boat renders completely always when right mouse clicking it.
The side effect is that after clicking the boat stops momentarily before it continues onward again.

Sim-crossing-4.jpg

Today I noticed also that my mesh bikini disappeared in some sim crossings.  But the bikini re-rendered automatically after few seconds.

This sailing took place in Blake Sea regions, Tuesday 20 November 2012 around 1 pm SLT.

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.