Sign in to follow this  
Hyeena

What is Gorean?

Leia36 wrote:

solstyse wrote:

they are an exceptional person for giving it is somehow a bad thing?

It seems taht you have a really, really twisted sense of morals.

Exceptional? REALLY!? Because someone answered a silly question on a silly forum thread about make believe to your satisfaction she is Exceptional? Do me a favor

hmm and keep your projections, you know next to nothing about me

Being the one person who actually understands forum ettiquette well enough to provide the answers that the original poster was asking, does in fact make Eforou the exception. You can look the word "exception" up in any dictionary if you need proof that I'm right.

So, someone asks a "silly question" on a "silly forum thread" asking about something that yjudging by your replies, you have a strong affinity for. That is your attitude toward people who have a genuine curiosity. No wonder why the rest of the rp community vomits in their mouths a little whenever gor is mentioned.

Don't answer a question, cause goreans hate when you do that.

Don't be glad to get an answer, cause oreans hate when you do that too.

Don't even take the subject or body of the original post into account before you begin tyyping, cause apparently that goes against rhe gorean code of ethics.

Get angry whenever anyone disagrees with you....

The next to nothing I know about you and the gorean lifestyle is more than enough.

Can we conclude this with someone actually did give an answer, and somehow you find that an unacceptable thing to do?

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Is it wrong that i am tired of the sniping?

Not at all. I certainly am. I just meant that every single thread I've seen in here, or in this forum's predecessors, over the last 5 years about certain subjects -- notably Gor, Bloodlines or Child Avatars -- has invariably descended into endless sniping.

Edit

What I had posted here, I have removed for now. Lets see if you can walk away. I'm done and I have no need for confrontation, hate it.

Leia36 wrote:

Edit

What I had posted here, I have removed for now. Lets see if you can walk away. I'm done and I have no need for confrontation, hate it.

Leia, you keep complaining that others keep this "dead thread" alive.....well, why would it be dead if people still post in it first of all? And then - you do realize you could have just stopped reading it if you are tired of it - and most of all -  you are still posting in it!

And now you are asking someone else if he/she can walks away? Ha?

solstyse wrote:

Efurou,

Thanks again for another informative answer. Now if someone still wants to start rping in gor, like the OP did, they at least know the basicas of who and where they will be. Unfortunately, I consider the first paragraph of your post to be the final nail in Gor's coffin.

You wrote:

Ok, let me say this first - I do not even consider myself a gorean role player. I have not played on a gorean sim in quite some time. I have have played here and there in sl gor for a while - but I become bored with it and moved on to other things. But I will try to give a quick overview of roles anway.

The problem is that since you alone have the distinction of being willing to answer questions and help people understand what it is, (which really should be the rule, not the exception) what you have left behind is basically the rest of this thread. Every form of rp needs plenty of people who will give the kind of answers that you do.  But apparently without you, gor has none.

You are welcome - and don't be too hard on the large community of gorean role players. Overall - most of the people I played with in sl gor had a good IC/OOC separation - and where nice, sane people.

I am pretty sure some of the people I have met in sl gor could have and would have answered the question. I believe a lot of role players simply do not visit this forum. It sounds to me that Leia is still pretty new to gorean role play in sl - and that she came from a bdsm background - and therefore does not speak for the average gorean role players - who sees him- or herself as purely a role player - and does not see their gorean character as any kind of extension of themselves or the relationship they are in.

ok I'm not a RPer of gor, not a lifestyler, I don't even play SL... yet... I'm thinking about it now that I've read this lol.  I just have something to say about the gor books.  I've seen quite a few people here say something along the line of "slavery in RL is not cool, take the kinky part and throw out the philosophy BS."  First, I would like to say that John Norman's philosophy is not that all women should be slaves, or that society should have slavery again.  His philosophy is that women crave some kind of leadership, protection, and even subjugation at their core.  It is their instinct.  Something they are stripped of by the standards of society, and prevented from considering.  He USES slavery to depict this, reveal this, both in the scene, and stir it in his reader.

Much like star trek is not designed to suggest that we should or can have a "beaming device" but includes such a device in the story it depicts to suggest, what if we did?  what if we could eliminate hunger by literally making food from nothing?  what if we could live in a society without the need of money?  It is a reflection of the human desire, and it's message is much simpler than it's story.

So too, does John Norman suggest that there is something unnatural in the current human condition.  And it's not that women should suddenly have less rights.   It's that they should consider respecting the familial structure that has been working for the last 100 thousand years, give or take, and indeed, they would be happier,  more realized in themselves, if they did so.  To be able to speak ones mind is one thing... it is another to prevent the man in your life to take the helm and protect you.  That is his instinct, his craving, and most of the time you will find, if you let him be a man, and you take the role of advisor instead of leader, your life too will become strangely charmed.

Gor is the elaborate fantasy, to illustrate the mundane which has been forgotten.  It is definitely more than RP.  Though I do not believe the books were meant to be taken literally, the philosophy in them is still worth examining.

Based on a series of third rate novels that no ones ever heard of and two sub standard films (rated 3.2 and 1.9 on IMDb), Gor is an earth like world with a pseudo Roman/Greek culture which is unknown to Earthlings.

The Goreans are ruled by an insectoid species, who arrange for beautiful women of Earth to be captured and taken as slaves to their world, so its human men can treat them like Islamic State do.

Of all the things to RP in Second Life, of all the things to choose from, RP based on the enslavement of women flourishes :/

But most are ignorant of that and just go there for sex.

Calaval wrote:

Based on a series of third rate novels that no ones ever heard of and two sub standard films (rated 3.2 and 1.9 on IMDb), Gor is an earth like world with a pseudo Roman/Greek culture which is unknown to Earthlings.

Third rate novels? I suppose that depends on the reader.. Personally, i enjoyed the storylines in the books. The word you are looking for is B movie. Pleanty of cult movies do poorly on IMDB. It's a popularity contest after all.

The Goreans are ruled by an insectoid species, who arrange for beautiful women of Earth to be captured and taken as slaves to their world, so its human men can treat them like Islamic State do.

It's fiction..

Of all the things to RP in Second Life, of all the things to choose from, RP based on the enslavement of women flourishes
:/

It's RP.. not RL.. calm down.

You need to find better Gorean sims..

You sound bitter.. Did a Kajira turn you down?

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Calaval wrote:

Of all the things to RP in Second Life, of all the things to choose from, RP based on the enslavement of women flourishes

Duh, I know its only RP but a poorly written fictional planet and philosophy where women are slaves and property is not anything that I think should ever be touted as fun. But I’m sure al-Qaeda, Boko Haram and Islamic State would strongly disagree with me.

Not interested in an little known fantasy world of slaves thanks, no I'm not bitter at all, I don't login to SL for sex and I don‘t RP Gorean, your reference means nothing to me :)

Calaval wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Calaval wrote:

Duh, I know its only
RP
but a poorly written fictional planet and philosophy where women are slaves and property is not anything that I think should ever be touted as fun. But I’m sure al-Qaeda, Boko Haram and Islamic State would strongly disagree with me.

Not interested in an little known fantasy world of slaves thanks, no I'm not bitter at all, I don't login to SL for sex and I don‘t RP Gorean, your reference means nothing to me
:)

Right so you resurrect a long dead thread to troll gorean RPers? are you bored or bitter, either way you come across as someone who is looking for dramaz ..

You stick to your bloodlines and your movies, and enjoy them, leave the gorean RPers to enjoy their own RP. Nobody asked for YOUR approval on how they enjoy their SL.

Calaval wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Calaval wrote:

Duh, I know its only
RP
but a poorly written fictional planet and philosophy where women are slaves and property is not anything that I think should ever be touted as fun. But I’m sure al-Qaeda, Boko Haram and Islamic State would strongly disagree with me.

I bet you think BD/SM is evil too... What you define as fun is the law? WHo are you to say what people can do for fun?

Not interested in an little known fantasy world of slaves thanks, no I'm not bitter at all, I don't login to SL for sex and I don‘t RP Gorean, your reference means nothing to me
:)

So, you don't do Gorean RP and are not interested in it at all... What was your point in this thread then?

Leia36 wrote:

Right so you resurrect a long dead thread to troll gorean RPers? are you bored or bitter, either way you come across as someone who is looking for dramaz ..

You stick to your bloodlines and your movies, and enjoy them, leave the gorean RPers to enjoy their own RP. Nobody asked for
YOUR
approval on how they enjoy their SL.

Uhm I posted my opinion and view, I can post on any thread I like, its called freedom :)

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

I bet you think BD/SM is evil too... What you define as fun is the law? WHo are you to say what people can do for fun?

So, you don't do Gorean RP and are not interested in it at all... What was your point in this thread then?

1. No sorry I'm not anti BDSM at all.

2. Read the first post.

Leia36 wrote:

Right so you resurrect a long dead thread to troll gorean RPers?

Only threads that are locked - or archived from now-extinct generations of the forums - are dead; all others are eligible for necro-posting, especially when the current swathe of threads are soooooo boring.

Calaval wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

1. No sorry I'm not anti BDSM at all.

2. Read the first post.

You do realize that Master/slave is part of the BD/SM world as well, right?

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Yes of course, with dominance and submission practiced by both sexes and not marshalled by insectoids.

Calaval wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Yes of course, with dominance and submission practiced by both sexes and not marshalled by insectoids.

Apparently you have not read the books as there are male slaves and female Mistresses in them.

No he hasn't or the world spanning RP that is Gor, clearly he has never read the books, or spent time with people in Gor SL .. he knows nothing about true BTB Goreans, or Gorean extended .. let alone lifestyler .. he has no idea at all how it is  .. he is firing off blanks in the dark and I only hope that this is indeed a trolling attempt and not a serious question

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Calaval wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Apparently you have not read the books as there are male slaves and female Mistresses in them.

Male slaves are rare compared to high proportion of female slaves. Its a male dominant fantasy world overseen by insectoids.

Men conquered in war who are not left free are more often slain than enslaved, while women in the same situation are almost always enslaved.

Only a very small minority of women on Gor own slaves.

Calaval wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Calaval wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Male slaves are rare compared to high proportion of female slaves. Its a male dominant fantasy world overseen by insectoids.

Men conquered in war who are not left free are more often slain than enslaved, while women in the same situation are almost always enslaved.

Only a very small minority of women on Gor own slaves.

Have you read any of the books? ANY of them? There are several of them that deal with male slaves in their entirety. Several have the main male protagonist becoming enslaved.

If this does not interest you, why do you care so much about it? If it isn't your cup of tea, why put it down to someone who wants to honestly learn what it is about? You are coming off as a very bitter person who has a grudge against a book series. We get it, you don't like slavery RP. Move along.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Leia36 wrote:

Right so you resurrect a long dead thread to troll gorean RPers?

Only threads that are locked - or archived from now-extinct generations of the forums - are dead; all others are eligible for necro-posting, especially when the current swathe of threads are soooooo boring.

if that's the case i'll say that i was "perma-banned" from the forum nominally for trashing John Norman as a writer & for ridiculing Gorean RP

if i was perma-banned how come i'm back? i dunno ~ after a couple yrs or so i just find that i can post ~ guess LL clears their banned list periodically

i don't really intend to return to the forum but will just reiterate what i said before ~ & maybe get re-banned for it LoL ~ but John Norman writes at about a 5th grade level & he intentionally panders to misogynists & sexists & his novels are stupid ~ LL should be ashamed of themselves for providing a platform for this sortuv hateful RP but someone told me that there were something like 1,400 Gor themed sims so this sexism represents big bucks to LL which is prolly the very reason they banned me for trashing that wanker Norman in the 1st place ~~ ~ oh well .. here i am back doing it again LoL :D

JeanneAnne wrote:
 i was "perma-banned" from the forum nominally for trashing John Norman as a writer & for ridiculing Gorean RP

if i was perma-banned how come i'm back? i dunno ~ after a couple yrs or so i just find that i can post ~ guess LL clears their banned list periodically

It was probably nothing so intentional; the odds are someone deleted a file they shouldn't have, by mistake. In practice, it's impossible to ban people from here anyway.

JeanneAnne wrote:

i don't really intend to return to the forum

Oh, please do! We could do with someone who doesn't have a collection of rose tinted spectacles to wear when participating here.

JeanneAnne wrote:
John Norman writes at about a 5th grade level & he intentionally panders to misogynists & sexists & his novels are stupid

I don't think anybody with an IQ above room temperature would disagree with you.

JeanneAnne wrote:

LL should be ashamed of themselves for providing a platform for this sortuv hateful RP

Now I am going to disagree with you. LL provides a platform for an infinite number of idiots to make fools of themselves; you can't really criticise the business for that.

If you want to be critical, then aim your antagonism at the pathetic Gorean men here, who have to exert their "superiority" over avatars who are probably mainly played by submissive men, and challenge their moronic interpretation (which is largely not "by the book") of what is a tongue in cheek fantasy little different from most pulp fiction.

Or maybe you should spread your concern, and worry about the widespread slavery that exists in SL, which is just as illegal in the real world as paedophilia or cannibalism.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

LL should be ashamed of themselves for providing a platform for this sortuv hateful RP

Now I am going to disagree with you. LL provides a platform for an infinite number of idiots to make fools of themselves; you can't really criticise the business for that.

If you want to be critical, then aim your antagonism at the pathetic Gorean men here, who have to exert their "superiority" over avatars who are probably mainly played by submissive men, and challenge their moronic interpretation (which is largely not "by the book") of what is a tongue in cheek fantasy little different from most pulp fiction.

Or maybe you should spread your concern, and worry about the widespread slavery that exists in SL, which is just as illegal in the real world as paedophilia or cannibalism.

yes Llaz ~ you're right ~ LL just provides the platform & what ppl do with it isn't LL's concern ~~ ~

but LL doesn't allow overt Nazi RP ~altho it does go on sortuv behind the scenes~ & they will bust ppl for pedophilia unless they do it so that it can't be seen ~ & gambling has to be behind the scenes too ... so not sure why cannibalism or "dulcett" stuff is allowed or Bushido sims for that matter since the Bushido ideology led to just as much horror during WW2 as Nazism did ~ or slavery whether Gorean or Old South style ~~ ~

i guess what i wonder is why some heinous stuff is allowed while other equally terrible stuff is tolerated ~~ ~ ~ ~

JeanneAnne wrote:

i guess what i wonder is why some heinous stuff is allowed while other equally terrible stuff is tolerated ~~ ~ ~ ~

Just try and get a discussion going about i n c e s t if you want to see LL REALLY get in censorship mode - despite it being legal in the majority of even "civilised" judiciaries.

[And no, there is no logical justification - other than threat of litigation by the USA, Germany or whoever - for the (im)moral lines they draw in the sand.]