The difference between public and private

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The atmosphere in this thread is pretty toxic at the moment, but I want to echo the praise of Melita's generousity. Changing Rooms was a very long term labor of love, and introduced a lot of new residents to just how positive Second Life could be.

As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

But I don't want to dwell on that. The example of Changing Rooms is very germane to "the difference between public and private" because it created private spaces--the whole point of a changing room--in a very public setting, where anybody could come and go uninvited. That's about as challenging as it gets, and I'm sure from her experience Melita could write a book about what "public" and "private" mean in SL.

(In the interest of full disclosure: I had a role in scripting the changing rooms. I'd do it differently today, to leverage changes in land settings and in the scripting language. Anyway, that's all to say that I do see some role for privacy in SL--but it's much more subtle than who's paying and who's not.)

Qie Niangao wrote:

(In the interest of full disclosure: I had a role in scripting the changing rooms. I'd do it differently today, to leverage changes in land settings and in the scripting language. Anyway, that's all to say that I do see some role for privacy in SL--but it's much more subtle than who's paying and who's not.)

Ah-HA!  I should have known you were the genius behind those amazing changing room doors that automatically closed when a person entered and could not then be opened from the outside.  Brilliant!!!!   I always thought those rooms would make really cute skyboxes.

Qie Niangao wrote:

The atmosphere in this thread is pretty toxic at the moment, but I want to echo the praise of Melita's generousity. Changing Rooms was a very long term labor of love, and introduced a lot of new residents to just how positive Second Life could be.

As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

But I don't want to dwell on that. The example of Changing Rooms is very germane to "the difference between public and private" because it created private spaces--the whole point of a changing room--in a very public setting, where anybody could come and go uninvited. That's about as challenging as it gets, and I'm sure from her experience Melita could write a book about what "public" and "private" mean in SL.

Agreed, what she did was beyond generous and chose to do wonderful things for SL members. Just because I want a private home without anyone playing with my toys does not make me or anyone else selfish and all the other ignorant names we are called and accused of. People that chose to have an SL that is for them, more private, a mate possibly and some friends are no different than anyone else. Until someone is paying my bills no one is setting my rules and standards for right and wrong with what i do with cartoon stuff as its put, not sure about anyone else but I work damn hard for my money and no freeloading fool is going to rant like that and make accusations of what's mine is yours. I am sure many of us could write a book oin what the difference is between public and private, no matter how long we have been here as it's personal prefrence and it's as simple as that. When the viewr loads I sign in no one else, and it happens to be my account details, personal information and payment type. The thread went toxic because, as usual the rude house den mother handed her crap around and insulted to the point of no return no matter who responded to her, seeing her posts around the forum get old.

Izzabelha you are certainly right but like the last poster said to me, take the high road. It's time to quit feeding the troll and no matter what a person's opinion is (and that is all it is, an opnion) What any of us do in sl is completely our own business, even the one who ranted all day that I replied to, Her opinions didn't mean anything to me I just had enough of her loaded words to everyone. I don't have to give out to residents just because I own a region for my residence, spend money foolishly (as if that is what I believe) haha, it does not make me greedy or selfish or whatever else she called me, I was laughing the whole time, don't take it serious, that's not a rule lol it's just that I like to give others a place too. If you do or don't it does not matter. I admit it was fun bantering with her, but she is now on ignore I said my peace after months of reading so I have nothing left to say.

Just enjoy your sl and do what you feel makes you happy! :)

Take off your rose colored glasses and look in the mirror

You say anyone that restricts you from going into their home or land and using their things is a griefer. That it is 'fun' to use other people's sex beds just for your own cheap thrills. You are the griefer for invading peoples privacy and not respecting their feelings on the matter.  How am I to know that anyone of such questionable character that has so little regard for my privacy and feelings won't steal the content that I create for my private home when they invade it on purpose? 

You call anyone that doesn't give you everything you want for free plus the ability to give the free stuff away to others selfish.  You are the selfish one for refusing to contribute to the community and only taking. Why not start creating content and buy a sim and practicing what you are preaching
by giving everything you make away full perm and letting anyone come to the sim and do whatever they please there?  Because you are too selfish and that would not only cost you money it would interfere with your fun.

You have no respect for others.  Your whole attitude is all about 'me' and your fun..  If people don't agree with your lala land views you start calling them names.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

Ah-HA!  I should have known you were the genius behind those amazing changing room doors that automatically closed when a person entered and could not then be opened from the outside.  Brilliant!!!!   I always thought those rooms would make really cute skyboxes.

First please let me apologize for not posting again in this topic, until now. I've been 'dealing with some things' as some of you know.

Secondly, thank you from the bottom of my heart, to those who said such kind things about Changing Rooms. It is deeply appreciated. It was never advertised; 100% word of mouth. It had a nice run, and it was best to stop while it could remain a nice memory.

Third, I am duty bound to recognize some who helped and without whose help the place could not have run. In one case, Qie, without yourself the Changing Rooms could not have existed. For most of its existence there was a "Qie tree" at CR as a subtle (I hope) acknowledgement of Qie's remarkable and selfless contribution to the operation of CR. Qie had more than a 'hand' or a 'part' in the scripting; he did it all, and selflessly, too. The creation of something that frankly seemed impossible and would've been called so before hand by most, (as anyone who used scripted doors before that could attest), was nothing short of genius. I'm not generally an effusive person and or because I do say what I mean and I was taught that direct focus can embarrass a person. Well, Qie, I'm focusing on you for a moment right now. You really deserve some sort of reward. Thanks to your scripts, people could attempt some privacy - before that, I was nearly having a breakdown trying to keep intruders out of people's rooms, or people from walking in and sitting down to 'watch' them change, or couples misusing the intention of the rooms so to speak (Lol) etc., etc. So literally, CR could not have lasted much past a few months, without your enormous contribution. Thanks cannot cover it but thank you so much.

I also had some wonderful helpers for a while, notably Vante and Maelys who were there nearly every day along with me. It wasn't their 'gig' and yet they provided that level of help. Thank you.

Now that I have tried to give credit where it is more than overdue...

The concept of public and private will of necessity be different for everyone. What I have found is that it is entwined, inextricably, with courtesy. It is a simple matter of respecting other people's boundaries, whether that is their wish to immerse themselves in the illusion of home or solitude; whether that literally means a boundary of about 10 by 8 changing room cabin. Or not camming into someone's home or cabin. Or, also, not abusing the solace of their IM with things designed to upset them (such as "hey baby nice panties" from some distant dot on the map, to a woman who was changing inside a room...which forced me to set land so no one outside the land, could see in.) Yes, some people found various ways to try to disrupt the sense or, if you will, illusion of privacy, as if that were their hobby. The real goal was to disrupt someone else's peace.

Lack of courtesy forces others to react rather than to enjoy. It is just that simple. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.