Can LL do an Item Rollback?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3298 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey there guys and gals,

I know that Linden Lab has policies regarding inventory loss and once deleted from your trash, thats it. However, my wife in her attempt to organize her inventory created boxes and put items into those boxes (out of her inventory) into a rather complicated system. She's not been feeling well and tonight, while working on her inventory system she rezzed the box and while working deleted some of the top boxes which had large...and I mean large...quantities of items in them. In fact, she deleted all but one folder and probably lost near...gods...$2000-$5000 worth of items. Not Linden...actual US Dollar value. The loss is staggering and..frankly crippling. It is a cumulation of over 5+ years of items and my wife broke down completely into tears and still hasn't recovered. It's not my character and its blown my mind - she said it does give a popup but she's been having issues and is medicated and without thinking clicked ok.

As she deleted items that were in boxes (a good portion were no copy) it didn't go to her trash so there was no way to catch the mistake. I was wondering if they can do an inventory roll back considering the staggering loss. This isn't an accidental deletion of a few items but a characters lifetime of items. I'm really really hoping that being as this is extreme, something can be done.

I advised her to clear her cache and see if it showed up anyways, and has asked her to log off and not play her character until I can talk to Linden live in the morning (I have a premium account for the both of us and have for years). Gods, if they can't replace the items though I'm not sure what we'll do - there's no way we could replace most of the items as they aren't sold anymore let alone contact vendors from years and years ago. Like I said..the loss is staggering.

Whether or not LL will do it I cannot say. But I know it can be done. A good friend of mine had their account hacked last year. The hacker deleted every single item in the inventory and cleared the trash. Once LL restored the account to it's rightful owner, they then restored all the items that had been deleted.

As she deleted items that were in boxes (a good portion were no copy) it didn't go to her trash so there was no way to catch the mistake. 

But deleted boxes do go to Trash. If one deletes a bunch of them all at the same time, they all go to trash in one coalesced object, named for one of them, and shown with a kind of "pile of blocks" icon--same as how bunches of returned items end up in Lost & Found.

Porky Gorky wrote:

Whether or not LL will do it I cannot say. But I know it can be done. A good friend of mine had their account hacked last year. The hacker deleted every single item in the inventory and cleared the trash. Once LL restored the account to it's rightful owner, they then restored all the items that had been deleted.

File a support ticket from the account, and describe the problem of what was lost possibly names of the objects holding the items in the inventory.

GothGirl Demonia wrote:

Porky Gorky wrote:

File a support ticket from the account, and describe the problem of what was lost possibly names of the objects holding the items in the inventory.

I'd guess those'd be named "Object" :)

Qie Niangao wrote:

As she deleted items that were in boxes (a good portion were no copy) it didn't go to her trash so there was no way to catch the mistake. 

But deleted boxes
do
go to Trash. If one deletes a bunch of them all at the same time, they all go to trash in one coalesced object, named for one of them, and shown with a kind of "pile of blocks" icon--same as how bunches of returned items end up in Lost & Found.

I always thought that rezzed items disappear completely if deleted but they don't. Has there been a change, or is it just something that I never knew?

No gaurantees, but I did find this and i do remember seeing things like this in the past:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussions/How-can-I-recover-deleted-inventory-I-deleted-lots-of-items-by/td-p/441504

There is a post halfway down the page by Sling Trebuchet

"Once you Purge your Deleted items that's it..     HOWEVER .... Ta-Da!!!

If you need reminding of the exact names of the items, the creators and the dates you got them... there is a way

Log into the Beta Grid. This has a copy of our accounts that gets refreshed at LONG intervals. Your copy of Inventory will have everything you had at the time of the last update.

You can't get them back. They are just completely separate copies.You can rezz them on the Beta grid, and check creators for the ones that you want to try get replacements for the NoTrans ones if the creators are sympathetic.

You can check the Date Acquired in Properties in Inventory - as well as the *precise* names.

LM's you can make a list of .

Notecards you can copy and paste into a word processing package on your PC.

To get to the Beta Grid:

At the Login screen, press....  CTRL-SHIFT-G
You shold see a drop-down box that allows you to delect which grid.

Agni is the normal grid.
Aditi is the Beta grid"

Not sure if this advice still works today, but it is worth a try.

To my knowledge, anything that is deleted, be it a rezzed object or an inventory object, will always go into the trash folder.

Assume you had 1000 rezed prims or objects on your land. If you drag select or highlight all of them in one go and hit delete, then only 1 object will arrive in your trash folder. The name of the trashed object will have the same name as the last prim selected before you hit the delete button. It will also have an the icon that indicates there are multiple objects in the selection rather than just 1.

So to the op.....if your friend did not plan the deletion, then chances are they will have no clue as to what the the trashed selection is called. However, as long as the trash has not been cleared then it will be possible to find the deleted items. Just go to a sandbox and systematically rez every single file in the trash folder. Don't rez one, check it and then delete it before going on to the next because that will cause confusion, as the checked items will just end up back in the trash. If I was doing it, I would go up high in the sky, rez a large platform then rez every single item in the trash one after the other without deleting it until I find what I am looking for.

Like it has been mentioned, if she hasn't cleared her trash then the items should be still there. When I want to find the most recent items I have in my invent, whether they be things I received, bought, deleted, etc then I usually will go to my invent and click on the very top where it says "Inventory". It will show a drop down menu. Then chose "Show Filters". From here she can leave everything checked but change the amount of hours or days to get the last items that were modified in her invent.

For example, if it has been 5 days since she has deleted these items then she can just filter up to 5 days ago and she will see everything that she received or deleted up to 5 days ago. All she has to do is check in the Trash and start rezzing things. I'd do what was already suggested which is to go to a sandbox and rez all filtered items from the trash.

Hope that helps & hope she can recover the items!

There seems to be some confusion. When items are deleted FROM INSIDE A BOX they do NOT go into the trash folder. They are gone. They will not appear in Lost&Found, as "Object" or anything. They're gone.

I do hope LL is willing to help. Do log a ticket. Explain the gravity of the situation. And in order to ensure you get support at all (sigh, what a pain...) Make sure she has done these things:

- Go to a quiet sim like Lime or Moses, and do some inventory searches, like for everything with the letter 'A' in it.

- Make sure to wait there for a while so all your inventory has finished loading.

- In the ticket you log, paste in the viewer version and explain that you have done these steps. And make sure it's clear how she lots the items. Surely the LL help person will ALSO make the mistake of assuming she deleted boxes from inventory, as people have here.

Then pray!!  Good luck!  Hugs!

Talia Malaspina wrote:

There seems to be some confusion. When items are deleted FROM INSIDE A BOX they do NOT go into the trash folder. ...

That's true, and re-reading the OP, I see I was indeed confused. I focused on "created boxes and put items into those boxes" and "deleted some of the top boxes" (plural), rather than "she rezzed the box" -- where, I now realize, "the box" must be containing the boxes that were deleted.

So yeah: beg for an item rollback, or login to Aditi and salvage what little you can.

Thanks, Talia, for the clarification, and sorry for the confusion.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3298 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.