New to second life

aydenreigns1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey there,

Just started second life about a week ago, still kind of trying to find somewhere I fit.  Joined to help get over a bit of a social phobia, and would like to make some friends/family. Any suggestions?  I'm really shy with people at first in all honesty, once the ice is broken though I'm fine.   

ayden reigns inworld

That's actually something I hear quite often, that people are shy at first, I'm the same way :) That being said, finding a place to fit is really just about what you're interested in, there is lots and lots to do in SL! So what are some of your hobbies, maybe we could help suggest an event or venue or something where you can hang out and meet people :)

Well there are lots of groups out there that you could look into, I don't know which ones are really active though. Unfortunately, most group slots get taken up by store groups rather than social groups lol so sad but store groups can be quite active too. But music is easy, there are tons of clubs around SL that you could visit, just search for one that fits your style. I would offer up a few but I don't know what kind of music you like. As for being a nerd, lots of people in SL are haha You can check events and such for any upcoming poetry reads and stuff like that too :)

How do you feel about Victorian and or steampunk?  There's poetry readings announced in the ISC (Independent State of Caledon) chat channel as they happen, roughly one every other week or so. Possibly more, but I'm not logged in every day.  We also have Caledon Oxbridge University (both an SL place and a group)  that has weekly classes on a variety of subjects.  As a newcomer to SL you might find them helpful.  There are also "do at your own pace" tutorials  to teach you the basics of getting around in Second Life.  I highly recommend taking the self guided tours and the Weekly Avatar Safety Class whenever you have time. (look for the red arrows on the sidewalks in Oxbridge.)   Be sure to visit Oxbridge as soon as you can - there are several high quality complete avatar sets available only to new residents who are less than 30 days old.  

The main Oxbridge classroom is here http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Caledon%20Oxbridge/110/129/27  and there is a weekly class schedule right outside the building to the right. It's huge, can't miss it. 

The free avatars are near the classroom; the direct location is http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Caledon%20Oxbridge/206/144/27  (although you might get routed to the main landing point, not sure.)

Anyway, I hope its helpful.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.