What would be a good Graphics card?

SLtesterL2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

atm im using a dell xps 15 and it comes with a 512mb nvidia video card and its kinda meh and its seems most of my lag is from the graphics card becuase when i put my graphics all the way to low(which is ugly) it runs almost perfectly but i would like to run it like that but with better graphics like great or ultra :D and suggestions?

Isn't a Dell xps 15 a laptop? If so, the question isn't what would be a good graphics card, the question is what graphics cards are available for that particular model?  I think you can go to their support website and it will tell you. I guess you could also get a new computer.

Graphics cards for laptops are made from the ground up to work with laptops......there's no adapting to it.  Actually it's the same for any hardware device that will work in a laptop (memory included).  A graphics card for a desktop will never work in a laptop (and vise versa).  Hardware devices for laptops are significantly more expensive than hardware devices for desktops...especially "after market" hardware.  And, finally, many laptops cannot have a graphics card upgrade....you get what is in it and you must live with what's in it (you need to get the graphics you want when you purchase the computer because that's all you can ever get as long as you have the computer).  Some laptops are upgradable........and those are quite a bit more expensive (remember the graphics cards are expensive too).

Unless you go for a "gaming laptop" you probably will never get one that will run SL at ultra settings.  And if you do get one that will run SL at that high setting, your batteries are going to suffer........you will have to keep the charger/AC adapter plugged in to keep from abusing the batteries which will likely cause pre-mature failure of the battery pack (and those are expensive too).  The laptops that people generally use in SL will not run SL without considerable lag at high settings.......it's the nature of the machines (they are just not built for that type of use).  Mid-range settings are possible with most laptops but there are sacrafices........lag being one. 

You haven't told us what nVidia card you have in the computer....actually you've told us practically nothing about the computer.  It would help to know that so that people can make suggestions or give tips and tricks to get the most from the computer.  XPS 15 only says it's a Dell laptop.  Nothing about what is inside the computer.  nVidia is a chipset brand.....and the performance is dependant on the model.  Not much help can be given without some specifications.

If you truly want a laptop that can run SL at ultra (with any hope of great performance) you are looking at a gaming laptop.  Expect to pay well over $1500 USD for an entry level machine......up to $3000 for a real "power house".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.