About lag

XbabylonX

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It varies between the two. Second Life uses more resources than any modern game, when you include both transfer density and server time. Heavy computing power from both multiple clients and multiple servers is required for an adequate Second Life experience.

Bear in mind also that unlike the majority of other online applications and systems, the content is downloaded centrally (i.e., from Linden Labs' servers), and is of a very high resolution.

http://www.echt-muenchen.de/temp/On_The_Topic_of_Lag.pdf

This has always been my favourite write-up of the varying types of lag in SL, and what causes it.

Could a little of both,,,,,,,One of the main things that cause lag in crowded areas is rezzing avatars in the area. Avatars can have upwards of 300 to 1000 prims in their person. . Multiply that times about 50 users and you get heavy viewer lag. Server lag will come by loads of scripts and avatars  .... hit ctrl-shift-1 on your keyboard and you will see the server stats by expanding the simulator section. Clicking on the BASIC spot will show you your FPS if it is not already expanded. You can pretty much determine where the lag is. Viewer side or simulator side

Region FPS will fluctuate a lot. .

XbabylonX wrote:

I always also thinking... Could there be a way to contribute to my in-world place with my server's resources...?

Nope, sorry. All storage and server ability (to other users) is hosted on LL's servers.

You can, however, set up Squid on your internal network. That will help you to cache images, textures and other downloaded content from SL (which speeds up how quickly you render familiar items). It won't help your land, but it will help your viewer/client/browser.

Proxying HTTP Textures Using Squid - Tateru Nino's Dwell on It

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLSquid_Proxy

That means that if anyone could do so, there wouldnt any problem, right?

And one more question, why is there the 40 people limitation to each sim?

PS I know it sounded crazy, but it would be awesome owning sims which they could run from own resident's server's...

XbabylonX wrote:

PS I know it sounded crazy, but it would be awesome owning sims which they could run from own resident's server's...

Mainland limits 40 users. Private regions  can set to 100 users. there could be upto 9 to 12 regions per server hardware..  limiting mainland to 40 so they can spread the server love around lol

And yes. Since they release the server code to open source. it has always been a pipe dream of many to be able to connect or run your own hardware on the grid... doubt we will ever see that.

:( 

Why they dont have an open mind...

Btw Im doing that squid thing.

It says "Find "TAG: visible_hostname", add a line like "visible_hostname my.domain.net" after the commented lines and replace my.domain.net with your FQDN"

Which is the FQDN?

XbabylonX wrote:

Simply put, the amount of computing power it takes.

And as an FYI the 40 limit applies to Mainland SIM's.  Estate SIM's can have up to 100.  But even then their are practical limits.

This Paper on Scalability of Virtual Worlds might give you a good overview of the subject:

http://www.informs-sim.org/wsc10papers/070.pdf

XbabylonX wrote:

SL is incapable of accepting a distributed hosting system, nor is it suitable for it. Moving SL to 'the cloud' wouldn't help it.

Moreover, storing any user-created data on third-party, non-balanced, non-organisational machines in private control, with uncertain network availablility, definitely lacking security (and a million other issues) would be impractical, non-functional and dangerous.

OSGrid is a separate concept, based on a reverse-engineered previous version of Second Life, which is [slightly] more suited to home-stored/operated regions. At present it has almost no solution for the networking chaos involved, and fewer still for the economic problems.

XbabylonX wrote:

Btw Im doing that squid thing.

It says "
Find "TAG: visible_hostname", add a line like "visible_hostname my.domain.net" after the commented lines and replace my.domain.net with your FQDN
"

Which is the FQDN?

Sadly I'm unable to help with Squid-specific issues. Best solution is to check a Squid-focussed forum, rather than an SL-focussed one.

Good luck.

XbabylonX wrote:

Hello there,

I was always wondering what causes the big lag on crowded places.

Is that a server side matter or depends on each client computer resources?

the more avatars .. more scripts .. more motion .. then the more processor capacity more bandwidth & more lag

w/ my old computer lag was mostly client side .. ie my machine

my new computer has a powerful GPU & now lag is mostly network .. ie the internet

i seldom see server side lag unless something weird is going on

Jeanne

New Super Lag

Currently there is a new lag problem. See: New Lag Problem.

There is one flavor that is apparently a griefer attack. Another is something odd in the servers. People are trying to track down the problem. It is hitting event holders hard and consistently. 

See the thread in this forum for more information:  Major Increase in Instant SIM LAG & Crash during large events

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.