Scammer creating fake stores - How can I report it, if at all?

Maeve Balfour

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I could file a DMCA, and make a trip to the supermarket to fax it, for using my pictures, but I flagged it for not as advertised and I think, wrong pictures -- which is an understatement and if they look into it at all they will see what it is. As we speak it is still listed, and I want to see how long it takes them to delist, if they do at all. 

phaedra Exonar wrote:

Why LL has no requirements to sell to the marketplace is mind boggling, some thing like requiring a 30 wait for avatars with out a premium account to sell on the MP would help reduce or slow down repeat scammers, many scammer have high price items trying to make a quick $ so limiting the price of items to under 500L$ for non premium accounts for the first 30 days might help too at least that way if some one falls for a scam they are out less L$  I don't expect any thing to stop all scams on the marketplace but at least some thing to reduce them would help out a lot.

I believe there is a 30 day wait, or at least there was as of a few months ago. When I went to go split my store into two separate stores a few months back, I made a new avi to put a certain product line into and it wouldn't let me create a marketplace store for her until I was 30 days old. So I had to wait it out til she was 30 days and then I could make the store.

• 5 months later...

I have seen fake stores a lot this year. The fake stores take pictures from other merchants and sell empty boxes or put free stuff into it or danger phishing things - the content is fake and never a ripped or copybotted item, because the fake stores don't spend this time. They only spend time in copy images/advertisings of other creators and brands.

Only the origin merchant can report this to LL. And what happens when soemone reports to the origin merchant(s)?

Only one single item is gone and LL never understands that ALL items are fraud - LL does not see that the entire store is fake. And LL does not recognize it, when some weeks later an other merchant files a DMCA - or in other words: How many DMCAs close a fake store?

Well, ok, sometimes one merchant could do the right action and the fake stores were closed ... but that is just luck or this merchants know an unpublished feature. Some creators managed that their items were gone from the fake store, but the fake store still exists and lists their items again one week later. And so on ...

The ways merchants used to report their stolen images and brands are:
to write a review
to flag item
to report abuse
to file a DMCA
to file a support ticket

But as long as all this actions delete single items only and not the fake store ... the scammers have an easy game to play and laugh.

It is strange that I only found this thread and
http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/xstreetsl-discussion/85702-new-fraud-stores-sl-marketplace.html
to search and find a way to fight complete fake stores and not single cases.
It is sad that you started this thread last year and nothing changed now, August 2013, except: The fake shops list items quicker than customers, creators and merchants can report. In my opinion we only can stop fake shops when LL manage to recognize them and closes those stores. To recognize them is easy, for example: when origin merchants show them the origin Marketplace listing where the image(s) are stolen from.

That is how I see the problem, and where LL's failure lies. They simply do not act against those who clearly and repeatedly commit fraud and/or theft.

For example, tonight a customer contacted me to let me know that she saw one of my kitchens, complete with accessories (but unscripted) on the marketplace, full perm, cheap. This person did not accidentally copy this stuff, or accidentally receive it, or accidentally list in his store full of ripped content. How many DMCAs will it take to get the account and store deleted? 100? Because this is what I see over and over and over again -- people steal because in SL THERE ARE NO CONSEQUENCES. None. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.