Ripped off by the Lab

Trix Braveheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Has anyone else, this might have been experienced by other sellers in SL had this happen to them?

I received a note today from Linden Labs (a no-reply e-mail) advising that they were removing 2000L$ from my account because a customer had somehow, they didn't say how, obtained the Linden dollars "fraudulently". I cannot see how I can have the money deducted from my account for the other resident's wrongdoing. I have no way of knowing what it is they are suggesting he did.

The lab referenced the TOS and looking through it, I cannot see how my account could debitted of Lindens when their complaint is against the guy who paid me. Contrary to the note, I did not buy the Lindens from him.

I spoke to chat support, they suggested replying to the e-mail (a no-reply email address, uh-huh) or filing an abuse report.

Anyone heard of this scam before, is it prevalent and where does the TOS give them this authority? SL merchants beware!

Oh, and here's the note I got by e-mail...

Dear Trix,

We regret to inform you that the party who recently sold you L$ may have
used an unauthorized source to make the purchase from Linden Lab. As a
result of this fraudulent activity, and per the Second Life Terms of
Service, the L$ sent to this account are voided. We have removed 2k linden
sent from:
totaer Resident.

Regards,
Linden Lab

Dilbert, I'll give you that they can revoke it where there is fraud ...on my part...

I have no way of knowing that their shoddy practices allowed someone to obtain Lindens and pass them to me

I'd even agree with the conterfeit thingy except how are we to know that the money the resident just gave us was obtained fraudulently. We are completely at the mercy of the Lab and in this case they somehow gave this guy money  without proper safeguards.

It's not like I can look at the bills and say, I don't like the look of these

Anyway, I remember this guy now (it was September 27), he wanted to look better so I took him to Laqroki and to Vista...I know he bought a shape and a skin. I had to leave while he was at Vista, but, I had pointed him toward a couple of AOs. Getting outfitted just doesn't sound like a guy who isn't planning on being around..

UPDATE

Support responded as follows and closed the case:

"Thank you for contacting Linden Lab. The L$ 2,000 that was sent from totaer Resident originated from a fraudulent method. Therefore, we have voided the transaction and assessed the Lindens. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused."

In other words no explanation, I have asked to have the case reopened and the question answered or escalated...

Thank you Yoshi

What fraudulent method? There are other people possibly involved.
Should we be worried that the Linden method of selling Lindens has been compromised.
I would like an explanation about how this was done (bad credit card, hack, something else?) and to be reassured that it can not happen again. These things are all within the Lab's control. An explanation without the reassurance that steps have been taken hardly seems fair.

This fellow stole from me and others, your recourse seems clear, you know who he is and, if you choose, can pursue him for theft. The rest of us are without any remedy and are the ones who suffered the loss.

If you can not explain please escalate the question.
Thank you

4 answers to this question

Section 5 states

Linden Lab may revoke the Linden Dollar License at any time without notice, refund or compensation in the event that: (i) the Linden dollar program is suspended or discontinued; (ii) Linden Lab determines that fraud or other illegal conduct is associated with the holder's Account; (iii) Linden Lab imposes an expiration date on usage of Linden dollars in compliance with applicable laws and regulations; (iv) the holder's Account is terminated for violation of these Terms of Service; or (v) the holder becomes delinquent on any of that user's Account payment requirements, ceases to maintain an active Account or terminates this Agreement.

The resident that gave you the money  (they include the name) had obtained it fraudlently. so the license of those dollars were revoked

This question is further discussed in the discussion forums @ http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants/Payment-reversed-and-taken-from-account-by-lab/m-p/1688071#M27882

That definitely stinks.  It's pretty close to what happens in RL, though.  If the Feds find out that someone has passed you counterfit bills, they confiscate them and you don't get anything in return.  My guess is that the justification in this case is in section 5 of the TOS, which emphasizes that L$ are not money.  They are "tokens" that we get to use in world as long as we play fair.  The guy who passed you illegal L$ lost his right to use them, so they ceased to exist.

"When you acquire a Linden dollar, Linden Lab hereby grants you a limited license ("Linden Dollar License") to use the Linden dollar as a virtual token to be held, bartered, traded and/or transferred in Second Life with other users (and/or Linden Lab), in exchange for permission to access and use Content, applications, services, and various user-created features, in accordance with these Terms of Service. The Linden Dollar License is transferable by the holder to any other user, provided that both users comply with these Terms of Service [my emphasis], [ ..... ] You agree that Linden Lab has the right to manage, regulate, control, and/or modify the license rights underlying such Linden dollars as it sees fit and that Linden Lab will have no liability to you based on its exercise of this right." 

It still stinks, though. 

• Like 1

This just doesn't sound like a real message from SL to me - the "2k linden" sticks out like a sore thumb, and I doubt they'd use a no-reply address for something like this or not give you instructions for replying. It may be the person who gave you the money running some sort of scam - they don't appear in search either. I'd definately submit an abuse report and ticket on it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.