Sign in to follow this  
Trix Braveheart

Ripped off by the Lab

Question

Wow o.O Sorry never heard of that error before. I guess just send in a case or notice of some sort to Linden Labs to figure all of that out.

4 answers to this question

Wow o.O Sorry never heard of that error before. I guess just send in a case or notice of some sort to Linden Labs to figure all of that out.

Section 5 states

Linden Lab may revoke the Linden Dollar License at any time without notice, refund or compensation in the event that: (i) the Linden dollar program is suspended or discontinued; (ii) Linden Lab determines that fraud or other illegal conduct is associated with the holder's Account; (iii) Linden Lab imposes an expiration date on usage of Linden dollars in compliance with applicable laws and regulations; (iv) the holder's Account is terminated for violation of these Terms of Service; or (v) the holder becomes delinquent on any of that user's Account payment requirements, ceases to maintain an active Account or terminates this Agreement.

The resident that gave you the money  (they include the name) had obtained it fraudlently. so the license of those dollars were revoked

This question is further discussed in the discussion forums @ http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants/Payment-reversed-and-taken-from-account-by-lab/m-p/1688071#M27882

That definitely stinks.  It's pretty close to what happens in RL, though.  If the Feds find out that someone has passed you counterfit bills, they confiscate them and you don't get anything in return.  My guess is that the justification in this case is in section 5 of the TOS, which emphasizes that L$ are not money.  They are "tokens" that we get to use in world as long as we play fair.  The guy who passed you illegal L$ lost his right to use them, so they ceased to exist.

"When you acquire a Linden dollar, Linden Lab hereby grants you a limited license ("Linden Dollar License") to use the Linden dollar as a virtual token to be held, bartered, traded and/or transferred in Second Life with other users (and/or Linden Lab), in exchange for permission to access and use Content, applications, services, and various user-created features, in accordance with these Terms of Service. The Linden Dollar License is transferable by the holder to any other user, provided that both users comply with these Terms of Service [my emphasis], [ ..... ] You agree that Linden Lab has the right to manage, regulate, control, and/or modify the license rights underlying such Linden dollars as it sees fit and that Linden Lab will have no liability to you based on its exercise of this right." 

It still stinks, though. 

• Like 1

This just doesn't sound like a real message from SL to me - the "2k linden" sticks out like a sore thumb, and I doubt they'd use a no-reply address for something like this or not give you instructions for replying. It may be the person who gave you the money running some sort of scam - they don't appear in search either. I'd definately submit an abuse report and ticket on it.