...Does my bum look fat in this?

Rival Destiny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Jeans/Pants/Shorts/Skirts creators!!! 

Please when you make these, include a photo of the backside!  I have passed over many many purchases of jeans, pants, skirts, shorts, etc. because there is no photo of the backside.

I should probably add here that in addition to passing these over, I find myself not bothering with clothes that aren't modelled by an avatar.   I have too often found that I don't like the item once I put it on.

The nice thing with mesh is that you can often get the demo for zero lindens.  However, I still would prefer to see a photo of how the item fits on the backside before even getting the demo. 

Perhaps it's me, I know I'm like a magpie, shiny things tend to distract me and I'm off but I do spend a lot, really an obscene amount of money on items in sl.  Perhaps there are others out there that find the same but regardless, I am compelled to post this.

Happy shopping!

A little confused,the way you have posted this it almost sounds like you are ranting about SL skirt base which you can adjust the butt on your AV only not the skirt layer .Texture base clothing that is on the default AV body has no ability to make your behind bigger that would be a setting in your shape controls not the pants as there is no behind setting for pants only in legs section which only you can control .

Mesh on the other hand is a new wild dog in SL and best to only buy when it includes a demo to try out first. If the maker dose not offer a demo then simply do not shop with them.

This post is kind of one sided,it's like me posting "Buyers, if you do not  have  the smarts to try a mesh demo first then do not buy it,if they do not offer demos do not shop there and you will save your self a 5 min rant on the forums no one will read to even care about"

Sounds harsh but so dose blanketing a statement with "hey designers" like we all are the same and do the same things in our shops.

Personally I check the market place for mesh designer kits and make a metal note of them and make sure not to buy them as I rather have a work of art some one made then something people slam in a box and call it their own work never really taking the time to make sure there are demos and and multi sizes as only a real  creator would take the time to make sure my experience shopping with them is memorable guaranteeing a return trip.

SL skirt base?  Not at all.  I don't think I ever wear anything that uses this anymore.

Also, this post simply reflects my shopping habits.  I am curious what other's think as well.

I am also a creator in SL and always appreciate constructive critisicm. 

I reread my post & see no rant nor any one sidedness.  I think the humerous title of the thread follows through with my statements.

If what I posted is taken in any other light then I apologize.   My post was not meant to rant or antagonize anyone but to simply discuss an issue that I have dealt with for a long time.  A really frivolous one perhaps, but I've been asking myself the same question for years - where is the view from the backside?  I like those from the front but meh, I'm not gonna just buy them and hope for the best.

But wow, after reading your post you would think I had slammed something or someone & used nasty terms etc.  After some consideration, I find your comment one sided and quite negative.

As I said, I am also a creator in sl and would welcome ANY of my customers to critique my creations.  Otherwise, how the heck am I too provide them with what they need??

And this bit you said:

"Buyers, if you do not  have  the smarts to try a mesh demo first then do not buy it,if they do not offer demos do not shop there and you will save your self a 5 min rant on the forums no one will read to even care about"

I have no idea how you got that from my comment.  I surely didn't imply anyone to be 'stupid' nor did I insult the author of a thread by inferring that the topic is a rant on not read worthy.

And I do mention mesh, but would like to make it clear that my post is on any and all creations that apply, not just mesh.

I can only say the way it was worded was confusing,I could not tell you where talking about mesh clothing it seem like you where covering all clothing,my bad and sorry.

I forget at times how -**bleep**  I am and I read about every thing before I buy anything,I spent 3 weeks investigating mesh and even playing with it in 3d max until I bought my first mesh product.I tend to be a person that feels the need to be 110% informed before I make a buying decision and forget the "shinny things " people factor and get  on my high horse about pointing fingers of blame,for that I retract my first statement and apologize.

I hate mesh.

And to think I was one who thought it would be a good thing. The fact that it cannot be modified is unnacceptable in my opinion. To expect the person to change to fit the clothes....really?  There is  no individuality of body with mesh. No one is then unique. They are stripped of their ability to dictate their own form :/  I do  not appreciate that my wife has to lose what it is that I consider attractive , become some shape that I find horrific, in order to wear a dress. Thats BS.

Also , its entirely too difficult to "mix and match" pre-existing clothing with the mesh clothing. What, the 9gazilliion L's spent on the first set of clothing should just be "written off"?  I dont' think so. And this business of a mesh shape not being able to be dressed in  "regular" clothes?

The limitations are OUTRAGEOUS.

Mesh strips away individuality. It strips uniqueness in one's own body. How is your avatar "personal" when its dimensions have been dictated by a shirt and pair of pants?

Personal vote?

Mesh

SUCKS

:(

I have to agree with this. Mainly about not having clothes modeled by an avatar in advertisements. Make is quite hard to decide how it's going to look and if it's worth getting a demo (if it's mesh).

Was searching trough many adds yesterday for mesh jeans which don't have the "skinny thighs that don't meet at the crotch" kind of look (kind of hard for me to explain without visual aids). A nice add with the clothes on an avatar would have been much preferred than Sl clothes on hangers :)

Koltari wrote:

I have to agree with this. Mainly about not having clothes modeled by an avatar in advertisements. Make is quite hard to decide how it's going to look and if it's worth getting a demo (if it's mesh).

Was searching trough many adds yesterday for mesh jeans which don't have
the "skinny thighs that don't meet at the crotch" kind of look
(kind of hard for me to explain without visual aids). A nice add with the clothes on an avatar would have been much preferred than Sl clothes on hangers
:)

Yes, I've noticed this also.  They follow that new look where there is a rather large gap in the crotch area where the legs are quite far apart.  Because your body has to conform to the mesh, the clothing item dictates your shape.  I'm not a big fan of that particular style, wide crotch, but there certainly is a market for it so smart move on the side of any designers that cater their mesh to this customer base.    Especially since that stype seems to have become quite popular.  IMO, if I were a clothing designer I certainly would do the same.  The best thing would be to try to create your mesh items in the varying styes in order to cover the customer base as best you can.

I see there are some designers that only cater to the one style but I honestly believe that they would increase their sales and customer base, should they provide both.

On the topic of mesh in general, I was very very skeptical about it's launch into sl.  Aside from building, I thoughouly enjoy shopping & wearing the awesome clothes.  There are so many talented designers out there and the quality has improved tremdously over the past couple of years.  So when mesh arrived, I didn't jump right in but waited.  Then I saw a mesh dress, made by one of sl's best & I had to have it. 

I have found that with a majority of the mesh makers, for clothes, I can wear the xsmall or small size quite nicely.  I always get the demo and so far have been lucky to enjoy most all of my mesh purchases.  I understand the frustration one would have if their shape changes dramatically when they wear mesh.  Since it's fairly new, perhaps designers will eventually try to cover the gamit of the customer base in this regard.  I see that they already have mesh for tinies and most likely other genres.

Bottom line, I now feel that mesh is an awesome addition to the grid and will only get better as time goes by.  I also don't think our worries about sculpts and prims will go to the wayside at all.  I think all these methods will end up complimenting each other & allowing designers to become even more creative over time.

Other mesh items such as shoes IMO are on par with the clothes.  The mesh hair?  I'm still not 100 % liking most however, there are a few designers that have blended mesh with flexi and I really like the mix.

I also saw on flicker, a photo of a mesh avatar.  Awesome work however little things were off such as thumbs being too long which I noticed right off, but the actual avatar overall appeared much more life like.  I look forward to seeing more and more as well as learning how to create myself in this area.

Sorry, I seem to have babbled on here .... :)

well, as a fashion creator, i just can say that when i do my adpic, of course showing the backside is more than normal. 

i dont sell only the frontside of the clothes but i sell all sides lol. So i think its normal my potential customers can see what it look from the backside too and even from the profile sides.

i know a lot of creators doesnt display it.. and i have the same frustration than you. i just cant understand why the hell they cant think their creations are not flat items. 

And about meshes.. i agree on the fact that it makes my avi look like she has a fat butt. i think its too early for running in meshes for now... and as a creator, ive been so disapointed with the templates ive bought to include in my creations, that for now, i decided to stop and wait and see.

That problem is not a pants-only issue. Many mesh dresses let me look fat and also many a lot t-shirts do the same. Maybe its because the creators tend to have curvy avatars (not to speak of the invisible pony riders) and it looks just fine for them and they don't get to think that it might look horrible on a different body type?

I would bet that the creators who show only one angle of their clothing would dramatically increase their sales by just taking more pics. Creating the item was the hard part, so why cheat yourself by just not hitting the snapshot button one more time? And I agree that models are necessary. And preferably human. No offense to furries, but I can't quite trust clothing that looks like it was made for an inhuman shape.

For me, seeing the backside of a pair of pants isn't so much because I'm worried about looking fat. I can't stand the "plumber butt" that so many pairs of jeans give a person.Too many times I see an otherwise stylish pair of jeans that just reveal a little too much butt, and end up looking trashy.

As for Mesh, it's getting better as time goes on. It definitely has it's places, but until it fits the avatar like the old fashioned clothes do, it'll never replace them. I imagine that some day, mesh will be more versatile.

Yes the plumber butt crack!!!

I should have mentoned that as well since I won't purchase those items if they are too revealing.  A little hint is fine for me, but some are way over done.

I've seen a few designers sell such items with a few options though.  A pair of jeans that are very low and another that are higher waist.  Having options such as these, certainly allow that creator to cover a larger market in sl so of course make more sales.

To just touch on the photo bit.  It's very true that the actual making of the item is most often the most intense & time consuming part of creating in sl.  However, the advertising and putting out for sale, either in world or in MP is actually quite a tedious process.  At least I find it so. But you are IMO fundamentally correct in that adding an additional shot of the backside would not be that difficult.

I want to add one other pet peeve I have regarding apparel, shoes, accessories - permissions.  I find that unless I must have an item, I won't purchase those that are 'no copy'.  I think it's awesome to have something 'transfer' so you can pass it along if you find you no longer want it.  But, there are just too many issues with apparel being no copy that I just can't be bothered. 

... so a little early morning shopping (I know am addicted & may need therapy at some point) ... anyway, am looking for a necklace to add to an outfit I put together.  And I find a lot of new wonderful pieces but again - not modelled and with jewelry, often no demo.   No demo means crap shoot - why?

Because in SL, scale is often an issue.  If you can't see the item in relation to an avie, then you may be disappointed in your purchase.  I found a few comments saying they love the piece but the size is much larger than they thought it would be, etc. etc.

Am still looking but wow, there are some awesome designers out there and gorgeous mesh jewelry!!!

I totally agree. I've always wondered why so many designers only show one side (the front) of the clothing in their ads. I make it a point to always have all sides showing in both my Marketplace and inworld vendor images as well as the perms and what is included in the box and also the price on all of my ads. 

Sometimes, I'll design a piece of clothing that actually has more detail on the back than on the front. Why wouldn't I want to show it off?

I agree with the OP. I won't buy anything that only shows one view. I've been burned and I refuse to do that to my customers, even though, yes, it takes a lot more work to do it.

Great post. :)

mtwtfss71 wrote:

I totally agree. I've always wondered why so many designers only show one side (the front) of the clothing in their ads. I make it a point to always have all sides showing in both my Marketplace and inworld vendor images as well as the perms and what is included in the box and also the price on all of my ads. 

Sometimes, I'll design a piece of clothing that actually has more detail on the back than on the front. Why wouldn't I want to show it off?

I agree with the OP. I won't buy anything that only shows one view. I've been burned and I refuse to do that to my customers, even though, yes, it takes a lot more work to do it.

Great post.
:)

lol your post is excellent too.. you say in a better english than mine exactly what im thinking lol..even for the packs content, perms and price.  so thanks a lot.:smileyhappy:

• 2 weeks later...

Mesh is already good enough since MOST (save for the couple of braindead creators) creators put out a free demo. It's going to take you around 10 seconds to see if the bum is good enough. Lots of creators use the template images themselves as the vendor, so it's very much hassle to put the backside shot and sideways shot on the same vendor. Maybe putting more images on the poster is ok.

To be honest I don't know how I survived the pre-mesh SL since no clothing had demos. The only stores I trusted without demos are stores like aoharu, dela, bare rose, mon tissu and grasp.

yep ! our best mesh-a-hollic is back ! :smileytongue:

And i have to confess its very very funny to see you in this topic... One of the first reproaches i would make to mesh clothes is precisely they make butt look fat ! Dont try to give me your long mesh merchants list, ive tried already quite all of them. My avi is not fat at all, she's well-proportionated and she has a normal ass on a normal thin body. But everytime i wear mesh clothes, whatever is pants, skirt or dress, omg.... my avatar looks like she has a big ass. 

I made myself my shape, with the proportions i want and i like my avi has. Its not for looking another way while im wearing clothes. If i ever wanted to look with a big butt, i would have make my shape with a big butt. But its not my willing.

Like prims or layers, meshes have some advantages and some inconvenients. The only thing that they have more is they are new. 

The day something even more new will happen and will relieve meshes to the old style, i guess you will be here to tell everytime you will have a chance to do it, that yes meshes are crap and the new way to make clothes is so awesome that you dont know how you have survived before it. Im sure this will be funny anyway. :smileytongue:

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.