Sign in to follow this  
mgjackson

Yes....Log out problem resolved

Hi,

I've been on and off second life over the last 6 months and I've always had a problem of the connection dropping despite doing all the tweeks (turning off http rendereing, using Firestorm, having the band width set as low as possible etc)  and although I could reduce the problem I couldn't get rid of it altogether.

However, have now just been upgraded by Virgin Media to a 20M connection and been given a new Super Hub, the problem has gone away.

What I suspect was happening was that they upgraded my service from 10M to 20 a while ago, however the old legacy cable modem couldn't cope with the speed increase and was dropping packets and I guess one of the packets being dropped was a crucial one that SL needs.

I also had an elderly Netgear FVS318 router which the Super Hub also replaced and I think that was struggeling with the speed as well.

Just thought I'd put this up incase others are going through the same headache.

Cheers,

Matthew

Glad to hear you got this resolved. I bet it was a pain in the arse :) Amazing what hardware will do when it cant keep up. Internet is changing fast to LARGE data transfer. A lot of providers have been kicking up their speeds. I can download 2 megabyges a sec which is 20 Mbps  and upload 250 kb sec which is 2 mbps. gotta love it. Used to have to pay out the arse for a connection like that 10 years ago

Congrats on the fix and thanks for sharing :)

It's fine for people living in towns, but for people like me in the countryside, where we will never get fast broadband (currently <2Mbps), more and more sites are assuming higher rates and becoming unusable. What we need is a LOD system for websites.

I think there is a problem with SL in that they don't have geographic access points.

SpeedTest.net shows I have to a local server 20mb, however a speed test over to California where SL are based (I think!) is only about 2.5M which negates having an ulta-high speed connection as you need to set your viewers speed to way lower than that.

If SL had region access points then I'm sure they would provide a better expeirence for their users (perhaps they could make it a premium service to keep the riff-raff out :-))

I have login problems always. I set me PC to save password but everytime I visit the site it asks for my username and password and can't posrt on my comments before enterig the username/pass.

rosebanks123 wrote:

I have login problems always. I set me PC to save password but everytime I visit the site it asks for my username and password and can't posrt on my comments before enterig the username/pass.

Sounds more like a cookie problem on your end.. You are not accepting cookies or clearing them every time your browser closes. Then you will have that problem

mgjackson wrote:

SpeedTest.net shows I have to a local server 20mb, however a speed test over to California where SL are based (I think!) is only about 2.5M which negates having an ulta-high speed connection as you need to set your viewers speed to way lower than that.

Sl closed their San Fran Data center a little over a year ago I think  Phoenix, AZ, Dallas, TX, and just outside Washington, DC are or were the 3 and now currently migrating to only 2 data centers