Slow rezzing in firestorm?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It probably has more to do with where you TP'd than anything. If the sim  has a lot of textures, especially high resolution ones, sculpts and just a lot of things in general.  Rezzing for me seems to be a lot slower than normal today even at places than normally load fast for me.  I even tried another viewer with the same result, so i don't think it has anything to do with Firestorm.

It is sl, i`ve been noticing degrading performance in render/loading (take your pick of the day) time since they did the big roll over to pathfinder

Same places just don`t rez that fast anymore while there is enough processing power available to render  10 times the load, changing to and from http textures is as helpfull as submitting a ticket so that`s not it, dunno, but it feels sluggisher

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Just some numbers:  When I rez in my home in sl,  using Phoenix 1.5.2, the frame rate is about 35 fps

When log off and relog at the EXACT same spot in Firestorrm 4.2.2  I get about 1 tenth the frame rate, yes, 3-4 fps

My home is on a residential sim that is usually deserted and a crowd is 2-4 people any where on the sim.

Now going to somewhere like Franks Place in Phoenix, depending on the crowd, I get 1-5 fps.

If I go there in Firestorm, I just CRASH as soon as I land --- IF I even get there.

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

It is sl, i`ve been noticing degrading performance in render/loading (take your pick of the day) time since they did the big roll over to pathfinder

Same places just don`t rez that fast anymore while there is enough processing power available to render  10 times the load, changing to and from http textures is as helpfull as submitting a ticket so that`s not it, dunno, but it feels sluggisher

I've noticed this exact same thing. Ever since pathfinding came out, things have come to a grinding halt.

Saturn Serendipity wrote:

Hello,

Just some numbers:  When I rez in my home in sl,  using Phoenix 1.5.2, the frame rate is about 35 fps

When log off and relog at the EXACT same spot in Firestorrm 4.2.2  I get about 1 tenth the frame rate, yes, 3-4 fps

My home is on a residential sim that is usually deserted and a crowd is 2-4 people any where on the sim.

Now going to somewhere like Franks Place in Phoenix, depending on the crowd, I get 1-5 fps.

If I go there in Firestorm, I just CRASH as soon as I land --- IF I even get there.

It would be hard to diagnose anything like this without knowing more about your system and internet capabilities. On my old computer, before I got my new snazzy ones, I would crash at Franks no matter what viewer I was using. Now, I can land at Franks, rez immediately and wander around aimlessly in quickness. It could be something in Firestorm...then again it could be just random weirdness.

I posted this, going to add my system info:

Just some numbers:  When I rez in my home in sl,  using Phoenix 1.5.2, the frame rate is about 35 fps.   When log off and relog at the EXACT same spot in Firestorrm 4.2.2  I get about 1 tenth the frame rate, yes, 3-4 fps.   My home is on a residential sim that is usually deserted and a crowd is 2-4 people any where on the sim. Now going to somewhere like Franks Place in Phoenix, depending on the crowd, I get 1-5 fps.  If I go there in Firestorm, I just CRASH as soon as I land --- IF I even get there.

Update: My computer is a Mac Pro (early 2008) Intel Dual Quad Core (Xeon, 8 CPUs), 16 GB RAM, on Comcast with 36 MB/sec download spead, Graphics Card is ATI 5870 1 GB Video RAM, running Mac OS X 10.8.2

More:  I run Phoenix with ALL of the graphics maxed out on Ultra graphics setting and ALL custom Setting at Maximum and most important in Debug settings I have RenderAppleMultiGL set to TRUE, for multi-threaded graphics rendering which makes performance about 3 times faster than without it.  Also Hardware settings have OpenGL, Vertex Buffer Objects Enabled, Anti-aliasing is disabled, anisotropic filtering is OFF,  I keep my draw distance in the 200s, can still see far but not too far. Avatar Imposters is checked to render distant avatars as 2d only, this helps too.  Hardware skinning is off as that slows my system down to a crawl and the same for HTTP get textures - very slow, so that is off as well despite claims to teh contrary it doesn't work for me. 

Before the upgrade to Mac OS X 10.8  I used to get FPS at my home sim wtih Graphics setting MAXED OUT of up to 150 fps whic is insanely fast, that with Mac OS X 10.7.4 and at that time Firestorm would run in the low Teens FPS (at my home sim) . So part of the problem was an immediate degradation of Graphics performance upgrading the Mac OS from 10.7.4 to 10.8  However, even then Firestorm was unacceptably slow (as is Phoenix 1.6+)

I hear stories of people getting great performance with Firestorm, and even if I bottom out the Graphics settings it's still poor, so for my system, os, etc,  Firestorm is still not an option and I need something to speed it up considerably.  If it also means switching to NVidia Graphics I would do that as well.  Not sure, as it's hard to find good information.  Any ideas would help.

I have a similar machine, only 4 cpu cores tho, :(  and I really enjoyed firestorm at first and it's been getting slower and slower.  I don't rez anymore, I'm just an orange cloud.  I get logged out 8 out of 10 teleports, and my framerate is horrible.  It was all great when I started and now it has settled down to a real mess.  

Help!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip, I gave Phoenix a shot (Version 1.6.1) and immediately noticed a much better performance.
I have now the framerate at 384m draw distance I have in Firestorm at 96m. And it is way more responsive as well.
If the graphics hardware isn't very powerful, the Phoenix viewer could be worth a try.

Addendum: Adding/Managing Avatar-Attachments/Clothing is quite cumbersome in Phoenix, use one of the newer Viewers for that.

Addendum2: Since Phoenix is no longer actively developed, I gave Singularity a try: Performance is even better and it does cooperate with my graphics driver. (Phoenix has rendering issues regarding Linden trees on my system.)

Since it doesn't has the usual Dialog for multiple outfits, use a V3-viewer to edit your avatar.

So, I use Firestorm for Avatar-Edit/Building and Singularity for travelling. Singularity saved me the 80 Euros for a new graphics card, that I don't need now..

Nala Spires wrote:

384 meters ? ^^ why use that a sim is 256x256  so anything over  256 is overkill really ^^ i use 128 when you stand at the midle you rez the whole sim and not the next sims

I leave mine set at 64 and only raise it when I need to. 

As I understand it, your draw distance does put a load on the Servers and it can effect others on a SIM.  The Servers will only send the information you request (your draw distance).  The higher your draw, the more information the Server has to send. The more Avatars on the SIM, the greater the load.  This is why busy Clubs will always ask people to turn down their Draw.

Saturn Serendipity wrote:

I posted this, going to add my system info:

Just some numbers:  When I rez in my home in sl,  using Phoenix 1.5.2, the frame rate is about 35 fps.   When log off and relog at the EXACT same spot in Firestorrm 4.2.2  I get about 1 tenth the frame rate, yes, 3-4 fps.   My home is on a residential sim that is usually deserted and a crowd is 2-4 people any where on the sim. Now going to somewhere like Franks Place in Phoenix, depending on the crowd, I get 1-5 fps.  If I go there in Firestorm, I just CRASH as soon as I land --- IF I even get there.

Update: My computer is a Mac Pro (early 2008) Intel Dual Quad Core (Xeon, 8 CPUs), 16 GB RAM, on Comcast with 36 MB/sec download spead, Graphics Card is ATI 5870 1 GB Video RAM, running Mac OS X 10.8.2

More:  I run Phoenix with ALL of the graphics maxed out on Ultra graphics setting and ALL custom Setting at Maximum and most important in Debug settings I have RenderAppleMultiGL set to TRUE, for multi-threaded graphics rendering which makes performance about 3 times faster than without it.  Also Hardware settings have OpenGL, Vertex Buffer Objects Enabled, Anti-aliasing is disabled, anisotropic filtering is OFF,  I keep my draw distance in the 200s, can still see far but not too far. Avatar Imposters is checked to render distant avatars as 2d only, this helps too.  Hardware skinning is off as that slows my system down to a crawl and the same for HTTP get textures - very slow, so that is off as well despite claims to teh contrary it doesn't work for me. 

Before the upgrade to Mac OS X 10.8  I used to get FPS at my home sim wtih Graphics setting MAXED OUT of up to 150 fps whic is insanely fast, that with Mac OS X 10.7.4 and at that time Firestorm would run in the low Teens FPS (at my home sim) . So part of the problem was an immediate degradation of Graphics performance upgrading the Mac OS from 10.7.4 to 10.8  However, even then Firestorm was unacceptably slow (as is Phoenix 1.6+)

I hear stories of people getting great performance with Firestorm, and even if I bottom out the Graphics settings it's still poor, so for my system, os, etc,  Firestorm is still not an option and I need something to speed it up considerably.  If it also means switching to NVidia Graphics I would do that as well.  Not sure, as it's hard to find good information.  Any ideas would help.

It sounds like something in your setup doesn't like more recent versions of OpenGL. Macs were stuck on around OpenGL 2.1 until whatever cat just came out (Mountain Lion?). OpenGL 3 and later work quite differently. Mesh viewers are also optimized for more recent versions of OpenGL. One thing you should try is turning off Vertex Buffer Objects - they don't work well with ATI cards and SL right now.

When on the ground, I have normally set a shorter draw distance, well below 200m, but when occasionally flying or taking snapshots, I want to have a decent amount of detail without everything grinding to a halt.
(I do have set a generous cache (4GB) and put it on a SSD for performance, but I have the impression, that the cache handling is seriously broken in all viewers I have tried out (Firestorm, Phoenix, Dolphin and the official Viewer))

And of course, I do know, that RL-draw-distances are impossible in SL. From my RL-apartment, I can see 10 to 30km, depending on the weather. (Highest point in the city and at the 6th floor.) Imagine a server/client combination capable of handling that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.